Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hardware Update

Default Hardware Update

As you know, we've been using the Grandstream HT286 device and it's been working very well overall with the exception of a few complaints about MWI. In the future, we'll be using the HT502 which is a 2 line device with a built-in router.

For the bulk of users, the 286 has been plug and play. With that being said, there have been a few cases where routers were blocking things, customers did not have routers at all, or we had issues with routers changing IPs too quickly when using DHCP, etc. As far as I know we've been able to work through 100% of these cases to get the user online.

Overall while this was not a huge number of users, there's opportunity to virtually eliminate these support issues by moving to the HT502 which has a built-in router and can be put in front of any pre-existing router.

http://grandstream.com/ht502.html

One interesting thing that I was surprised about is the number of orders coming in from people who obviously aren't tech savvy. This seems to be a combination of referrals, HostGator customers, and ironically people seeing the reviews on DSLReports. Given our business model and policies (such as BYOD restrictions), we expect that overall our customer base will be comprised more of the plug and play type over time anyway. Most of the really tech savvy people want more control, but may use our service as their "family line" or in some cases just because they trust it's reliable and something they won't be forced to play with (and they can play with other PAYG services as they are in the mood to do so).

With that being said, we think this will reduce support overall, reduce any chances of service problems, and overall be better in line with the "plug it up and forget about it" strategy.

We've made arrangements to exchange all unopened inventory still in the cases and have a large shipment of the HT502's on the way. Future orders will be filled with this device.

If your current device is working well, there is no need at all to upgrade. We're continuing to fully support 286's as well since many resellers will choose to offer them given their lower cost.

There are no plans to offer a "2 Line" feature as some other providers have done, but the 2nd line port can be activated with a 2nd VOIPo account instead of using 2 devices as has been needed in the past.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook

Default Re: Hardware Update

That looks like a pretty nice device.

I was wondering how it would fit in with the devices that are provided by the ISP that already do the firewall/nat functions. For example, I know a lot of Charter cable customers who have a device that has wireless, firewall, NAT, and so on. My guess would be the Grandstream WAN port would connect to the cable modem with nat functions, and get an address (with those, customer's PC's get a 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x address) and then the Grandstream LAN port would go to the customer's PC (or inside switch) and acting as a DHCP server, would then assign the customer's inside IP's to computers.

Also, does anyone know how the QOS is in these? It was good to see you could specify upstream and downstream bandwidth.

Will the 2nd port also be able to be used with a non-VOIPo account if someone had a need to do that?

One other thing I thought of. I didn't see anything in the manual about PPTP or IPSEC pass-through for home users using VPN clients to connect back to their home office. I would bet in this day and age pretty much anything will do that, but many people use this function from their home office.
    Scott

Great choice for Voipo. I have been using the 502 for almost a year now with Phonepower and have had no problems what so ever. Sends VM notification to all my handsets unlike the 286. You will be quite happy with the results.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Will the 2nd port also be able to be used with a non-VOIPo account if someone had a need to do that?
    Right now it's kind of an all or nothing deal with provisioning the way GS handles that.

I can't promise this, but what I was thinking about earlier is possibly putting something in an "advanced" CP which allows users to put in the basic info for the 2nd line (third party info) and have it be stored in our provisioning. That way we still provision it, but it appeases those who want to play with another account somewhere or whatever vs being completely unused without it affecting anything.

Any thoughts on this?
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Quote Originally Posted by VOIPoTim View Post
    ... One interesting thing that I was surprised about is the number of orders coming in from people who obviously aren't tech savvy. This seems to be a combination of referrals, HostGator customers, and ironically people seeing the reviews on DSLReports. Given our business model and policies (such as BYOD restrictions), we expect that overall our customer base will be comprised more of the plug and play type over time anyway. Most of the really tech savvy people want more control, but may use our service as their "family line" or in some cases just because they trust it's reliable and something they won't be forced to play with (and they can play with other PAYG services as they are in the mood to do so).

With that being said, we think this will reduce support overall, reduce any chances of service problems, and overall be better in line with the "plug it up and forget about it" strategy.
    Tim. why are you surprised? I and others had recognized the direction in which VOIPo was heading once the public offering was afoot. Many of us have stated in posts here and in BBR that we alpha/beta participants were being used (in a good way) to polish the product because of our technical skills and knowledge of how to put the system through its paces.

Latecomers coming to VOIPo from BBR in the last few months were well aware of the "locked" ATA and inability to "play" with the adapter. Folks coming from HostGator probably had no idea that one could actually customize an ATA or use such a device with a 2nd line ... much less put a 2nd provider on the 2nd line.

As y'all know, I have had (and still have) a variety of VoIP providers over the last few years --- including some that have come and gone (R.I.P.). But I must say that VOIPo is the first VoIP product that I and my wife are comfortable with ... comfortable enough to use VOIPo for my primary NJ home line, without any need to "play" with the adapter settings. I have finally learned to "set it and forget it" even though I'm using a PAP2T as my ATA.

Your last statement '... we think this will reduce support overall, reduce any chances of service problems, and overall be better in line with the "plug it up and forget about it" strategy' is absolutely the way to go to be successful with the general public. I realize that you are actually taking a page from Vonage (and a few other "locked box" providers) with this philosophy ... but VOIPo has certainly learned a great deal from Vonage's missteps ... and the HostGator "connection" surely can't hurt.

KUTGW!

Quote Originally Posted by VOIPoTim View Post
    ... I was thinking about ... is possibly putting something in an "advanced" CP which allows users to put in the basic info for the 2nd line (third party info) and have it be stored in our provisioning... appeases those who want to play...

Any thoughts on this?
    Why appease? If you've designed your "product model" to minimize problems for your support department ... and if 1% or less of your future client base has the awareness and capability of messing with the adapter, why bother at all? The other 99% of your customers will be as happy as a pig in slop if they get a dial tone when they pick up the phone ... and all their incoming/outgoing calls connect every time.

Operator...I've been Cut off! (Marie Antoinette's Last Voip Call)

Will this new adapter fix the 3 way calling issue? What is the issue you say?

Once you flash and get the second caller on the line, there is no way to toggle back and forth to the 1st call etc., nor have I been successful doing a call waiting/switch back and forth thing either.

We're getting a lot of people asking to upgrade their device. Please don't do this.

If you have a legitimate problem (as some of you do) with your current device, we can swap it out. If you're just looking to upgrade though, there's really no point because the devices work virtually the same.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com