Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Router/GS502 Help!

Default Router/GS502 Help!

I'm having serious issues with the GS502 playing nice with my router.

My router is a Linksys BEFSR81.

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...=1115416832205

A few days ago I noticed my router was cycling over and over. It did this after there was an IP assignment conflict on my network (running DHCP).

The fix was supposedly to assign a static IP address to the 502, which I did in the ATA. And after rebooting a few times, all was well with my phone and my network.

However, when the IP address expired on the VOIPo servers, the ATA went down and stayed down.

I cannot find the settings in my router to set an IP address for the 502 using the MAC address. Anyone know what that would be called on a Linksys router?

Now, I am going to try setting up my network with all static IP addresses and turn off DHCP to see if that works (and hopefully not affect the rest of my network).

If not, I may set them all static except for the 502 and leave DHCP on to just renew the 502. Though I suspect that may not work.

If that doesn't work, I will have to try putting the 502 in front of my router again (which didn't work last time) and see if I can get that to work.

This is all kind of frustrating to me because I am not that knowledgeable in network management and I tend to make mistakes I don't realize and really screw things up.

Setting static IPs for all the devices on my network including the 502, should make this problem go away right?

What is the benefit of DHCP on a home network?

Should I update the router's firmware?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Default Re: Router/GS502 Help!

Quote Originally Posted by digger16309 View Post
    I'm having serious issues with the GS502 playing nice with my router.

My router is a Linksys BEFSR81.

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...=1115416832205

A few days ago I noticed my router was cycling over and over. It did this after there was an IP assignment conflict on my network (running DHCP).

The fix was supposedly to assign a static IP address to the 502, which I did in the ATA. And after rebooting a few times, all was well with my phone and my network.

However, when the IP address expired on the VOIPo servers, the ATA went down and stayed down.

I cannot find the settings in my router to set an IP address for the 502 using the MAC address. Anyone know what that would be called on a Linksys router?

Now, I am going to try setting up my network with all static IP addresses and turn off DHCP to see if that works (and hopefully not affect the rest of my network).

If not, I may set them all static except for the 502 and leave DHCP on to just renew the 502. Though I suspect that may not work.

If that doesn't work, I will have to try putting the 502 in front of my router again (which didn't work last time) and see if I can get that to work.

This is all kind of frustrating to me because I am not that knowledgeable in network management and I tend to make mistakes I don't realize and really screw things up.

Setting static IPs for all the devices on my network including the 502, should make this problem go away right?

What is the benefit of DHCP on a home network?

Should I update the router's firmware?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    If you are using a router, first only plug your ATA WAN port into a spare port on your router. Don't use the LAN port on the 502 as it will then want to behave as another router, which could present other conflicts.

Although my ISP supplies a static IP for me, I still leave everything set to DHCP in my wireless router. I have 5 PCs on my home lan and this seems to work ok for me.

I don't yet have my 502 hooked up and am using my SPA2102 in the interim, but I don't think it should make any difference.

Quote Originally Posted by burris View Post
    If you are using a router, first only plug your ATA WAN port into a spare port on your router. Don't use the LAN port on the 502 as it will then want to behave as another router, which could present other conflicts.

Although my ISP supplies a static IP for me, I still leave everything set to DHCP in my wireless router. I have 5 PCs on my home lan and this seems to work ok for me.

I don't yet have my 502 hooked up and am using my SPA2102 in the interim, but I don't think it should make any difference.
    Thanks Burris. Yes, I'm only plugging in the ATA WAN port into the Linksys router - no LAN.

To clarify...

My ISP supplies a static IP address to my cable modem, but my router uses DHCP to supply local IP addresses to my 3 computers, 2 DVRs, and the GS502.

For some reason, with the GS502, when the leases expire on the local IP addresses, the 502 and computers on my network clash, sometimes causing a conflict where they pull the same local IP address, making the 502 not work. I did not experience this with the 286 (or with the Linksys PAP2T when I had that)

Assigning a static IP address to the 502 with DHCP turned on did not fix the problem.

Digger, if you try to assign a static IP to the 502, you need to make sure it isn't in the range served up by the linksys router. for example: if the linksys dhcp server settings are to serve up 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.254, you would want to use 192.168.1.99 or something not in the range of 100-254 in that block, as you may otherwise give a static IP and the linksys happens to serve up that same IP to a dynamic host and you have a conflict. I don't understand how if you have the 502 set up for dynamic addressing, it can end up conflicting with anyone (sounds like it isn't really 100% dynamic?) Anyway, try the static IP method with my above comments.

Change the lan address of the 502 to something further outside the subnet of the linksys.

10.10.50.1 would work just fine...

And you could try setting it from router to bridge...
    I Void Warranties.

Huh? If the static IP is not in the subnet of the linksys, it won't be able to reach any outside host! It needs to be in the linksys subnet, but NOT in the linksys DHCP range.

The Lan ip not the wan ip...

The grandstream will attempt to block anything it thinks is on its own subnet from getting out of its wan port. If its close enough things can get messy.
    I Void Warranties.

Sigh, I thought you meant the address of the 502 on the LAN, not it's LAN address. Yes, having these overlap is a recipe for disaster, and not all routers diagnose this

Its the old double nat pitfall...

I would set up the 502 so that it hands out addresses in its new lan subnet also so that getting into its lan port is not a problem.
    I Void Warranties.

this is not really double NAT, it's a routing issue. routers can't have two interfaces in the same subnet...