Thread: Byod

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Byod

Good question, since as you may have read, my GS died and I have my backup SPA-2102 on line.

Working fine...the only difference I see so far is that the CID shows the calling number on both lines instead of the name..

VOIPoNorm Guest

Hi,

Tim will have the final say on the subject of BYOD.

From a purely technical perspective, VoIPo intends to be fully RFC 3261 compliant. There are NO plans to use any proprietary protocols such as Skype.

Regards,
    Norm

From what I recall, Tim had indicated that Beta users would continue to be allowed BYOD access. Once they go public, users won't be given their SIP passwords. Beyond that, I don't know what, if anything, Tim had planned with the purpose of limiting user agents.

I was planning to continue with my Asterisk trunk; otherwise, I'd be bugging Tim for a Grandstream. (As much as I wouldn't mind checking out the Grandstream, I'd much rather keep my Asterisk system online!)

Quote Originally Posted by fisamo View Post
    From what I recall, Tim had indicated that Beta users would continue to be allowed BYOD access. Once they go public, users won't be given their SIP passwords. Beyond that, I don't know what, if anything, Tim had planned with the purpose of limiting user agents.

I was planning to continue with my Asterisk trunk; otherwise, I'd be bugging Tim for a Grandstream. (As much as I wouldn't mind checking out the Grandstream, I'd much rather keep my Asterisk system online!)
    I agree, I remember this, but I was wondering how they can do Softphones without giving out passwords...

A good question. Not that I have the answer, but ATTCV has a custom softphone application. When you sign up for the softphone account, you get a registration key (that very likely has your phone# and sip password encoded within). You can register your softphone, but you never know the sip password.

I'll also be interested to hear Tim's answer to your question.

I wondered the same since soft phone is a teaser option.

If they give out credentials for a soft phone account when a new launch customer signs up, people will try and use telephone adapters instead.

Will soft phones be in some sandbox server?

Using VOIPo services since February 2007
    Beta Tested the VOIPo Reseller Plan.
    A happy VOIPo Residential Customer

Using VoIP devices since 12-2002
    Companies I've tried
    iConnectHere|Vonage|BroadvoxDirect|Vonage|Packet8| VOIPo
    VOIPo is a keeper!