Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: General Launch Update

Default Re: General Launch Update

Quote Originally Posted by NY Tel Guy View Post
    Thanks, me too as far as VT is concerned. I already have the entire unit packed up with ALL parts and wires. I'll probably ship it back as soon as my line ports.
    I have the PaP2 from them, even have the twist ties the unit came with.....lol
    The good thing is that with porting, Level3 does NOT notify the actual customer (like VT). Most Tier1's are like this. That's why with VoIP providers you typically need to cancel your service AFTER the port whereas with traditional landlines, the cancellation would be automatic.

While this is traditionally a pain, it can be used to your advantage because VT won't know when the port completes and you can form a strategy as to how to time your cancellation to avoid the ridiculous cancellation fee hoops (IMO) they've recently added.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook

Operator...I've been Cut off! (Marie Antoinette's Last Voip Call)

Quote Originally Posted by VOIPoTim View Post
    The good thing is that with porting, Level3 does NOT notify the actual customer (like VT). Most Tier1's are like this. That's why with VoIP providers you typically need to cancel your service AFTER the port whereas with traditional landlines, the cancellation would be automatic.

While this is traditionally a pain, it can be used to your advantage because VT won't know when the port completes and you can form a strategy as to how to time your cancellation to avoid the ridiculous cancellation fee hoops (IMO) they've recently added.
    When they started the nonsense with the 2.50 a month extra fee, I never updated my credit card and stopped using the account. I will send them back their TA (I'll need a Grandstream from you) after I cancel them.

When they started the nonsense with the 2.50 a month extra fee, I never updated my credit card and stopped using the account. I will send them back their TA (I'll need a Grandstream from you) after I cancel them.
    My biggest problem with those fees is that they're not even in the FCC database and don't have an ID number to even be able to remit any USF contributions or regulatory taxes/fees on the federal level.

There is a hard cost associated with E911 service, and the fees are starting to add up more so I expect to see more "all inclusive" providers adding things. So I don't have a problem with the fees themselves, but it's kind of hard to remit any governmental taxes/fees when you're not even registered to do so. BTW I haven't checked this in a few weeks so they could have registered between now and then, but I doubt it. The dates are listed if they did. Ironically, the last document filed with the FCC for VT/HR was by me and I left there in early 2006.

This along with a list of issues I have will be addressed with the appropriate agencies at the appropriate time.

The other issue is just that I didn't agree with how the situation with prepaids was handled in terms of taxes. Waiving it for people who complained was a nice gesture, but that shouldn't be necessary. If a provider accepts a prepayment, they're taking on some liability that costs can increase during that period. With VoIP, we know it's likely to. Raising them at renewal is one thing, but doing it while someone is in term shouldn't even be a question.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Operator...I've been Cut off! (Marie Antoinette's Last Voip Call)

Quote Originally Posted by VOIPoTim View Post
    My biggest problem is that they're not even in the FCC database and don't have an ID number to even be able to remit any USF contributions or regulatory taxes/fees on the federal level.

There is a hard cost associated with E911 service, but it's kind of hard to remit any governmental taxes/fees when you're not even registered to remit.
    I'm beginning to think they are located in a trailer by the Thruway, poised and ready to "hit the road".
    BTW, I sent you an e-mail.

BTW, I sent you an e-mail.
    Got it, replied.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Montano View Post
    My port was painless. Took about a couple weeks to complete and my Voipo line started ringing without any service interruptions.

My VT line still works for outbound calls, but I'm paid up for a few more months anyways.
    After you ported your VT line away, did you ask or did they give you another temp number that would continue to work for inbound?
    You mention outbound, but this would also require some number to relate to..

I'm playing the 'don't ask, don't tell' game with VT right now. I did not 'ask' for a temporary number, as I'm not interested in paying the monthly garbage fees they are now charging. And I'm not going to 'tell' them I have already ported my number until It's time to cancel my account.

Oddly, I did receive a call from someone named Michael from VT yesterday. He said it was a 'customer service fallow up' call, but I have not called or submitted any tickets in over a year.

Outbound continues to work fine.

Speaking of VT, very frustrating thread over on dslreports in the VT forum. Apparently they use some 3rd party platform to send out their invoices now. Brendan does not seem to understand why it is not good practice to send mail supposedly from billing@viatalk.com but have the email say foobar@somerandomthirdpartycompany.com. We've been trying to point out that this is indistinguishable from the plethora of phishing mails people get, so some non-trivial percentage of customers will delete them (or they will be in their spam folders). He got all huffy and sarcastic. Sigh...

Quote Originally Posted by Montano View Post
    I'm playing the 'don't ask, don't tell' game with VT right now. I did not 'ask' for a temporary number, as I'm not interested in paying the monthly garbage fees they are now charging. And I'm not going to 'tell' them I have already ported my number until It's time to cancel my account.

Oddly, I did receive a call from someone named Michael from VT yesterday. He said it was a 'customer service fallow up' call, but I have not called or submitted any tickets in over a year.

Outbound continues to work fine.
    Interesting...makes sense, but I don't understand how you can make an outbound call without a number behind it. What shows up in your recipients CID when you make that call?

I suppose I should handle it the same way. Then I will have use of an outbound line during my 'free' year. I wonder if I could spoof the CID from that line so my friends and family and subscription services that pick up the CID would be able to recognize it.

The other curiosity would come about, if/when VT begins to realize what is happening and wants to accrue the fees. I wonder how that would fit into the scheme of things?

Now I need to figure out how to utilize that line for inbound if it doesn't have a number assigned.

burris

Whether the ATA or VT's server provides the CID info, I don't see how they would know they don't own the number anymore, so spoofing it at that level is not unbelievable. Or am I misunderstanding?