Thread: Faxing

Default Faxing

I've had good success in the past sending faxes over VoIP, primarily with two prior providers, but now it seems to be impossible. Virtually every fax that I try to send results in a "The remote fax machine did not respond in time" or "The fax can't be sent because of an unexpected error." I've tried reducing the port speed of my modem to 9600 and even slower. I have used the Grandstream HT502 device provided by Voipo as well as my own Innomedia device which worked wonderfully with other VoIP services (my last VoIP provider did not welcome BYOD). The Innomedia has a T.38 fax setting, and I understand that the HT502 does as well. Any thoughts on how I can get fax service to work over VoIP. Yes, I know that I can use the outbound fax service, but it's a number of extra steps save the file, to log in to the Voipo account, and to set up the fax for sending.

Thanks.

Default Re: Faxing

I have tired the "online" FAX feature and out of three times it only worked once and when I wrote a ticket on it I was told it was a Beta feature and that it may not always work. So being able to FAX both ways on the line would be great. But no extra money for them.

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerBob View Post
    So being able to FAX both ways on the line would be great. But no extra money for them.
    I wouldn't say that. Lack of fax support almost kept me from signing up with VOIPo. If VOIPo had incoming fax to email included choosing this service would have been a slam dunk. In the end VOIPo's price is so good that even if I have to purchase a virtual fax # I won't be paying more than the other services I was considering.

Quote Originally Posted by ThorsDad View Post
    . . . In the end VOIPo's price is so good that even if I have to purchase a virtual fax # I won't be paying more than the other services I was considering.
    That's the key point, having to "buy" a FAX number. Unless you were looking for a really tricked out line, POTS is still cheaper. The exact reason that I haven't gone Naked DSL (and to fill in when VOIPo fails, which it did 3 times tonight). Basically to keep a line that can reliably do FAXing. Years ago we were using very inexpensive online FAXing services and I have forgotten all about them. But imagine that they are still there. So nothing specialized is needed. And since VOIPo's out going FAX service is not reliable and still Beta (after all this time), for me it's not a consideration. And FAXing still has a long life ahead. The medical and legal professions still use it extensively and many other countries will only take FAXes as legal documents over physical specimens. So . . .

My solutions: Get a free toll-free fax number from Faxbetter.com. One has to receive a fax every week to keep it active. My backup is a free fax number from Efax.
    Although I can occasionally send faxes via Voipo, I use either its outbound fax service or one of multiple free fax providers. Most free providers allow two faxes per day, but very few handle files other than .doc/.docx or .pdf. I need to fax a .xls file daily.

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerBob View Post
    I have tired the "online" FAX feature and out of three times it only worked once
    Very strange. I have sent numerous faxes using VOIPo's online gateway and have 100% success every time. I can't say I've sent hundreds, but I've sent many dozens of faxes over the last 3 years and not a single one failed to deliver correctly.

I've never used the online fax gateway, so I can't say how it works. But I do fax with a fax machine connected to my voipo line, and it always works. Granted, I only fax 2-3 times a month, but it works. I use a 9600 baud fax machine (Brother intellifax 775) and i turn OFF ECM. Sends and receives every time.

Of course, my number 1 priority has been to educate business associates to move into the 21st century and stop faxing. Matter of fact, I cancelled service with one vendor until they started doing email. I told them I wouldn't fax to them any longer. They changed their ways. The only people I fax now are non-recurring vendors. But I tell them if they want future business, they need to use email. Most of them comply. Fax is just so useless in today's world and technology. There's so many ways to sign a PDF or file and send it back, that there's absolutely no reason for faxing. It takes time to educate people, and in the mean time, I'll manually fax a couple times a month. I started signing PDF, file, etc... about 2 years ago. My goal is to never fax again by 2013, except for the rare government type agency who has me by the gonads. But for people who I do financial business with; they update their technology or we don't do business any longer.
    Mike
    "Born Wild - Raised Proud"
    Do you like your life? - Thank a Vet!!!