Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: General Launch Update

Default Re: General Launch Update

Quote Originally Posted by dswartz View Post
    Whether the ATA or VT's server provides the CID info, I don't see how they would know they don't own the number anymore, so spoofing it at that level is not unbelievable. Or am I misunderstanding?
    I suppose the short answer would be to ask the person or better yet the persons being called, what they see on their screen.

Typically, the outbound call will dip into one of the national CID tanks and send that on to the receiving end...if the number resides in the tank.

When I get a chance, I will make a few calls to try for an answer on this.

When I had a ViaTalk trunk set up on my Asterisk/Trixbox server, I found that VT's system would override the CID setting I had indicated in the FreePBX trunk setup. I'm fairly certain that calls from your VT line will send the VT-assigned number for CID purposes. One thing that seemed to work for CallVantage (but does come at a price): Consider getting a virtual number for your VT line after you port your primary number away. That way, outbound numbers would still show your (now-ported-away) number, but anyone dialing the virtual number would still ring through to your VT line.

It still shows my VT number. Which is fine with me

I'm paid up through August, then I'll be done with VT.

Quote Originally Posted by Montano View Post
    It still shows my VT number. Which is fine with me

I'm paid up through August, then I'll be done with VT.
    When you say your VT number, do you mean your real number that was ported away?

If so, that's the route I am going to take.

Thanks again....

burris

Yes, my real number that I ported away. It's been my home number for almost 10 years

Again, I thank you for the suggestion.

burris

Operator...I've been Cut off! (Marie Antoinette's Last Voip Call)

Quote Originally Posted by burris View Post
    Interesting...makes sense, but I don't understand how you can make an outbound call without a number behind it. What shows up in your recipients CID when you make that call?

I suppose I should handle it the same way. Then I will have use of an outbound line during my 'free' year. I wonder if I could spoof the CID from that line so my friends and family and subscription services that pick up the CID would be able to recognize it.

The other curiosity would come about, if/when VT begins to realize what is happening and wants to accrue the fees. I wonder how that would fit into the scheme of things?

Now I need to figure out how to utilize that line for inbound if it doesn't have a number assigned.

burris
    Your inbound is automatically sent to the carrier who hosts your phone number. Your outbound simply originates from any number of carriers you may have used and it is possible for you to place 2 outgoing calls simultaneously:
    1 from VT
    the 2nd from the new provider
    and both would say your current phone number. If those 2 separate people tried to return your call, the incoming would be routed ONLY to the new provider.
    Just the way the phone network works.

Incoming calls to your old ported out line will not be possible with one exception: Most probably, VT subs will still reach you on your old line since their database does not know any better. Everyone else who calls you will get you at your new ported location.
    Last edited by NY Tel Guy; 04-22-2008 at 05:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NY Tel Guy View Post

Incoming calls to your old ported out line will not be possible with one exception: Most probably, VT subs will still reach you on your old line since their database does not know any better. Everyone else who calls you will get you at your new ported location.
    Funny you should mention that, if I call my ported number from my VT line it goes directly to my VT voicemail. I thought that was odd. So as long as no VT customer is calling, there should be no issues.

If the call originates of VT's network and they "still think" you're a customer, the call will be routed to your VT adapter. With VT-to-VT calls, the call never makes it to the PSTN to receive the routing instruction to your new provider.

Quote Originally Posted by fisamo View Post
    If the call originates of VT's network and they "still think" you're a customer, the call will be routed to your VT adapter. With VT-to-VT calls, the call never makes it to the PSTN to receive the routing instruction to your new provider.
    Fortunately, I'm not aware that I know any VT customers. I was always afraid to recommend them to my friends and relatives.