Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Call Log Planning

Default Re: Call Log Planning

An Excel format would make the lists much easier to find old information. Sort by number, call length, date? CSV would work too...

Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    Not everyone has/uses Excel. I'd opt for a PDF file, or perhas a CSV text file that can be imported into Excel or wherever.

I like the email option. I'm likely to forget to download, even with the reminders. If VOIPo goes through the trouble of setting up & sending out reminders, how hard can it be to attach the last month's call history as well? Heck, I used to get that much via paper mail with POTS. Yah, it's not absolutely necessary, but it's little extras like this that make a service stand out from the rest.

I'm not arguing with the Email option at all. It is a great idea. My only thoughts are that if I were VOIPo, I am not sure I would want the onus of making sure that everyone's personal call logs got correctly directed to them each month. I think that is better left with the individual subscriber to manage from a business perspective. But it's just my humble opinion in any case. Lets see what they come up with. As far as online retention, I feel for my personal needs that 45 days is sufficient.

Vonage kept years of call records.

You might have 200 incoming calls taking you back 90 days for one customer.
    You might have 200 incoming calls taking you back 3 days for another customer.

I vote for last 200 inbound and 200 outbound.
    (After all, this is a residential service.)

You might offer 2000 calls for a monthly fee.
    Unlimited call records for a higher monthly fee.
    (People would need to opt-in.)

Using VOIPo services since February 2007
    Beta Tested the VOIPo Reseller Plan.
    A happy VOIPo Residential Customer

Using VoIP devices since 12-2002
    Companies I've tried
    iConnectHere|Vonage|BroadvoxDirect|Vonage|Packet8| VOIPo
    VOIPo is a keeper!

Quote Originally Posted by kevm View Post
    I'm not arguing with the Email option at all. It is a great idea. My only thoughts are that if I were VOIPo, I am not sure I would want the onus of making sure that everyone's personal call logs got correctly directed to them each month. I think that is better left with the individual subscriber to manage from a business perspective. But it's just my humble opinion in any case. Lets see what they come up with. As far as online retention, I feel for my personal needs that 45 days is sufficient.
    I like the Excel or CSV for format. I would not recommend sending out call logs via e-mail as the message would be in clear text. I am not sure if people want their call records in the clear between mail servers. If you download from the secure web site, it would be via HTTPS (and therefore encrypted).

Dan

Some length of archived log is useful.
    I happened to have the need to look back 3 month for a friend's number; anyways, 45 day log retention + prev. 3 month archived (xml or csv formatted) will be sufficient for me

a side note, the current call log is not very efficient, as it does not show the callerId/customed callerId/location
    my wish list:
    1. Intelligent Call Forwarding that detects the incoming call originated from the "forwarded" phone and rings the original destination instead
    2. Call History that makes use of CallerID/Custom CallerID+Location. Call History only shows Custom CallerId+Loc. No CNAM look up; Albeitly,it's a step in the right direction!
    3. Scheduled sim. ring with a twist (see wish #1)

I can deal with 45 days online and the rest can be one pdf (or excel or csv) file per month. The archived files can be downloaded up to a certain period of time, say 1 year?

Quote Originally Posted by sal View Post
    I can deal with 45 days online and the rest can be one pdf (or excel or csv) file per month. The archived files can be downloaded up to a certain period of time, say 1 year?
    Excellent answer IMO

Using VOIPo services since February 2007
    Beta Tested the VOIPo Reseller Plan.
    A happy VOIPo Residential Customer

Using VoIP devices since 12-2002
    Companies I've tried
    iConnectHere|Vonage|BroadvoxDirect|Vonage|Packet8| VOIPo
    VOIPo is a keeper!

Yes, I can go along with this too, CSV to keep everyone happy

I prefer 60 days online, but I'd want to see at least a year of downloadable, archived records. (Actually, it should be at least as long as the term you signed up for.) CSV for sure, PDF is a plus, other formats are gravy.

They're call records. Tiny tuples. Retention should be easy.

What would be needed legally if these call records were used as part of billing? E.g., I often work from home and have client conference calls. Would an archived csv download be acceptable as proof to either a client or the IRS? Would the archived storage be user accessible at all?

Personally, I'd vote for 90 days online, with offline for at least 1 year (total 15months), but I'm a pack rat.