Thread: Is there an advantage to a VOIP phone?

Default Is there an advantage to a VOIP phone?

Is there an advantage to a VOIP phone vs a standard phone plugged into the Grandstream adapter? I'm currently using a standard Panasonic KX-TGA652 and have had no problems but have been wondering about a SIP option. If there is an advantage does anyone know of a good quality inexpensive SIP desk phone?

Default Re: Is there an advantage to a VOIP phone?

SIP Phones generally offer many features which are not available on standard POTS phones, but most users won't need any of them. Don't bother to look for cheap or even low priced; if you do you'll soon discover that a medium-priced POTS phone offers more in the way of features than a SIP phone.

I currently use a POTS phone, a Panasonic DECT 6.0 PLUS 3-pack Cordless Phones with Link2Cell and Talking Caller I.D. from HSN (since sold out). It's plugged into an ATA.I love it. The screen is bright, the letters large, and the talking caller-ID is very convenient. Even with three handsets, that talking Caller-ID saves a lot of steps for an old codger like me. But I've just bought a similar configuration SIP phone set: Gigaset C610A-IP Hybrid VoIP/PSTN Solution with 6 VoIP Accounts and 3 Calls at Once C610A-IP DECT_6.0. Cost quite a bit more by the time I got the same number of handsets. (Still available on Amazon, from third-party sellers.) Why? Because I've got multiple numbers, and I'd prefer they come in separately than on all forwarded to the same line (I'm still active in business) and these phones are supposed to make it easy enough for me to tell. I'm about to order the VOIPo PBX to test it out with them, and if we're lucky I'll know more by the end of the weekend .

Second post on these forums, btw.

Thanks for the response. I'm currently using a Panasonic Dect 6 as well but was just curious about the potential advantages of switching to a VOIP phone.

DSLR forum is good place to look....here's a couple of threads to start with:

SIP phone vs standard DECT phone
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r279...typical-phone-

Cheap SIP DECT phone
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/rema...heap+sip+phone

Quote Originally Posted by tritch View Post
    DSLR forum is good place to look....here's a couple of threads to start with:

SIP phone vs standard DECT phone
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r279...typical-phone-

Cheap SIP DECT phone
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/rema...heap+sip+phone
    Thanks for the response Tritch. I'm still not sure I'm interested in switching but you definitely provided some great info for me to think about!

Each customer/user is different. For me, it would be a disadvantage to me having a VOIP phone vs an analog adapter and using traditional analog phones.

REASON: I have 10 phones in my house. I have my house wired into my VoipO adapter at the Telephone box point of entry. Meaning, I have the telephone wires from the phone company disconnected from the phone box on the side of my house, I have all my jacks wired normally, and I backfeed the voip adapter into a jack to fire up all the phones in my house.

For me to buy 10 VOIP phones could get expensive. I tend to go for higher quality techno-gear. IP phones can cost as little as $30, but can go as high as $500+. I don't need to do that for 10 phones. Not when I've got 10 really good phones around the house. BTW: I hate cordless phones and only have one that I use in the garage in case I have to have one. The other 9 are wired phone. Personally,,,,, I think a quality wired phone beats even the best cordless phone.

WARNING: Unless you really know what you're doing, I don't suggest doing what I did. I've been doing this for a living for more than 35 years and I think I know what I'm doing. There's many things that can go wrong if you don't know what you're doing. E.g. voltage from the phone company coming into your voip adapter; too many ringers drawing too much current from your voip adapter; etc...
    Mike
    "Born Wild - Raised Proud"
    Do you like your life? - Thank a Vet!!!