Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane..

Default Hurricane..

To Tim and his faithful crew, I wish you all the best with the impending storm heading your way.

I hope that you and all your families remain safe.

burris

Operator...I've been Cut off! (Marie Antoinette's Last Voip Call)

Default Re: Hurricane..

Quote Originally Posted by burris View Post
    To Tim and his faithful crew, I wish you all the best with the impending storm heading your way.

I hope that you and all your families remain safe.

burris
    I second that wish.

Thanks for the well-wishes. This one looks really bad.

I've posted an update here: http://forums.voipo.com/showthread.php?t=720

Anyone who works in our office has been given time off to be with family at this time. Anyone who normally works remotely outside of Houston will be working normally to address critical issues that come up. I am currently in the Northeast monitoring the situation and making plans to address it.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by VOIPoTim View Post
    Thanks for the well-wishes. This one looks really bad.

I've posted an update here: http://forums.voipo.com/showthread.php?t=720

Anyone who works in our office has been given time off to be with family at this time. Anyone who normally works remotely outside of Houston will be working normally to address critical issues that come up. I am currently in the Northeast monitoring the situation and making plans to address it.
    Well as a few of us said in the other thread - hopefully everyone will be safe and it won't be as bad as they say.

You have to have hope.
    Where in the Northeast? In Norm's basement?

Quote Originally Posted by NY Tel Guy View Post
    Well as a few of us said in the other thread - hopefully everyone will be safe and it won't be as bad as they say.

You have to have hope.
    Where in the Northeast? In Norm's basement?
    I was originally at the W in Dallas, but there is good potential for Dallas to get some tornados and have power outages, so I went to visit family in WV. Haven't done so in a year or so so they seem happy about that. Since it's essentially a waiting game to see how extensive the damage is, there's not a lot that can be done.

I'm go back to Dallas Mon or Tues depending on how things look there and we'll go from there at this point.

We don't expect a lot of physical damage in the part of Houston with the exception that the office is a glass building. So depending on the outcome, we may or may not need to move to contingency space.

HostGator has also closed and is offering emergency-only support with their remote employees as well.

We're mostly concerned about the interruption of support operations and keeping everyone safe at this point until it passes.
    Last edited by VOIPoTim; 10-19-2010 at 01:51 AM.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Funny that you refer to West Virginia as the Northeast.....
    We from the Northeast consider that "Mid-Atlantic"

But then again we are splitting hairs.

You made a smart decision to "hot-foot" it out of there.

While you were moving millions....I was sorting my sock drawer.
    Last edited by NY Tel Guy; 09-12-2008 at 04:51 PM.

Best of of luck and stay safe.

We will keep you on our prayers in Indiana.

Yes, by all means our prayers are with you Tim and your employees and all your families. Been through a few of these storms when living in Biloxi Mississippi. They can be scary.

While on the east coast; if you get bored and feel like writing something; I'd be curious to know how the voipo network is set up to withstand such a disaster. I know your offices are in Houston. Are ALL the servers there also? Do ALL VoipO customer's calls go through Houston to the servers? I know level 3 is a major backbone provider, but how are the voip calls router. Just curious. If you have time and want to write. Thanks. And again, our prayers are with you all and your families. Later.... Mike.....
    Mike
    "Born Wild - Raised Proud"
    Do you like your life? - Thank a Vet!!!

Quote Originally Posted by christcorp View Post
    Yes, by all means our prayers are with you Tim and your employees and all your families. Been through a few of these storms when living in Biloxi Mississippi. They can be scary.

While on the east coast; if you get bored and feel like writing something; I'd be curious to know how the voipo network is set up to withstand such a disaster. I know your offices are in Houston. Are ALL the servers there also? Do ALL VoipO customer's calls go through Houston to the servers? I know level 3 is a major backbone provider, but how are the voip calls router. Just curious. If you have time and want to write. Thanks. And again, our prayers are with you all and your families. Later.... Mike.....
    Equipment is mostly in Dallas with backups in Houston. Everything primarily goes through Dallas. There it's spread out among The Planet's datacenters. I have full confidence in TP keeping things online. Their Houston DCs I've never been 100% sold on but the Dallas ones I don't worry about at all. Their planning is very solid there.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

No power for nearly 3M in Houston area

05:22 AM CDT on Saturday, September 13, 2008

Associated Press HOUSTON -- Nearly 3 million people are without power in the Houston area as Hurricane Ike slams the Texas coast.
    It will likely be a while before electricity returns. CenterPoint Energy says it could take weeks before all the power in the nation’s fourth-largest city was restored.
    Utility spokesman Floyd LeBlanc said 1.3 million customers—or about 2.9 million people—had lost power by the time the storm made landfall at Galveston early Saturday. Work crews were coming in Monday to restore power, and priority will be given to hospitals, fire and police departments and water and sewage treatment plants.
    The city’s last direct hit from a hurricane came from Alicia in 1983, when 750,000 CenterPoint customers lost power. It took 16 days to restore all service.