PDA

View Full Version : Just a suggestion

Xponder1
01-01-2009, 12:54 AM
"Powered by VPanel. Copyright © 2007 VOIPo LLC. "

How about updating the year ;)

dswartz
01-01-2009, 06:57 AM
Uh, the copyright year doesn't change...

fisamo
01-01-2009, 09:38 AM
It does if the content changes, though. :)

dswartz
01-01-2009, 09:41 AM
It does if the content changes, though. :)

Hmmm, good point. I don't know enough about copyright law to know how you're supposed to do this. I've seen things like "Copyright 1997, 1998" or when you get to more than two years, "Copyright 1997-1999".

zevin
01-01-2009, 08:09 PM
You don't have to put the date at all. Most people update the copyright only because it looks like you have not updated your site. In the case of compilations or derivative works incorporating previously published material, the year date of first publication of the compilation or derivative work is sufficient. In general, registration is voluntary. Copyright exists from the moment the work is created. You will have to register, however, if you wish to bring a lawsuit for infringement of a U.S. work.

fisamo
01-02-2009, 11:32 AM
Hmmm, good point. I don't know enough about copyright law to know how you're supposed to do this. I've seen things like "Copyright 1997, 1998" or when you get to more than two years, "Copyright 1997-1999".

I realized after posting this that it may have sounded a little smart-alecky-- that was not my intent, and I'm glad you didn't take it that way. :) I think about the news webpages (e.g. MSNBC, Foxnews--pick your site based on your political persuasion... :p ) where it's always listed as the current year.

You don't have to put the date at all. Most people update the copyright only because it looks like you have not updated your site. In the case of compilations or derivative works incorporating previously published material, the year date of first publication of the compilation or derivative work is sufficient. In general, registration is voluntary. Copyright exists from the moment the work is created. You will have to register, however, if you wish to bring a lawsuit for infringement of a U.S. work.
That all sounds consistent with what I read when I was preparing my dissertation. I did include the copyright notice in it, but I never registered it. (I'd be surprised if anyone plagiarized from it and doubly surprised if I then found out about the plagiarism!)