PDA

View Full Version : Problem with failover to phone number?

dswartz
01-01-2009, 04:14 PM
I've had this set up forever. My 10 digit cell number. Worked fine. I'm out of town right now, and was told my neighborhood lost power. I called my home number on my cell and got "to complete calls beyond your local area..." WTF? So I figure maybe voipo changed something with the forwarding so as to now need 11 digits. Unfortunately, when I tried changing the failover number from NNNNNNNNNN to 1NNNNNNNNNN, but when I click on submit, the number disappears from the field (with no error message.)

burris
01-01-2009, 04:23 PM
The few times in the past when I called my home number that was down...from my cell..I got non-working or other crazy messages. I don't think it wanted to forward to my cell while I was on it. Not really sure what happened, but it worked every time that I wasn't talking on my cell.

VOIPoTim
01-01-2009, 04:27 PM
I just tested it and it seems to be fine. No other reports so far.

Were you connected to sip.voipwelcome.com or did were you on the new DC beta setup by chance?

dswartz
01-01-2009, 05:52 PM
I'm on jupiter, in DC. When did you try to call my number? Our power came back up at 6:08 EST, so if you called after that it would work. Looking at your post, it seems it was 1/2 hour before the power came back. Hmmm...

dswartz
01-01-2009, 05:55 PM
Well, mystified here. I called my number and it went through. Shut down asterisk and called again, and I get the same BS message :( Are you sure you're calling the right number? p.s. I don't see how you can be, since if you had, my cellphone would have rung!

dswartz
01-01-2009, 05:59 PM
I have left asterisk down so you can confirm this is not working...

dswartz
01-01-2009, 06:03 PM
The few times in the past when I called my home number that was down...from my cell..I got non-working or other crazy messages. I don't think it wanted to forward to my cell while I was on it. Not really sure what happened, but it worked every time that I wasn't talking on my cell.

Same here with calling from my cell. But I have called from my GF's landline with the same issue (and it worked before).

Xponder1
01-01-2009, 06:22 PM
I'm on jupiter, in DC. When did you try to call my number? Our power came back up at 6:08 EST, so if you called after that it would work. Looking at your post, it seems it was 1/2 hour before the power came back. Hmmm...

I do not think he is saying he tried to call you. I am pretty sure he tested with his own or something like that.

dswartz
01-01-2009, 06:23 PM
I do not think he is saying he tried to call you. I am pretty sure he tested with his own or something like that.

Why don't we let tim tell us, rather than guess?

dswartz
01-01-2009, 06:26 PM
I just tested it and it seems to be fine. No other reports so far.

Were you connected to sip.voipwelcome.com or did were you on the new DC beta setup by chance?

Rereading this, I am confused. I thought the server we were on was based on who we registered with, no? If so, this is irrelevant, since the whole point here is that my server was down, so I wasn't registered with anyone :(

burris
01-01-2009, 06:39 PM
Rereading this, I am confused. I thought the server we were on was based on who we registered with, no? If so, this is irrelevant, since the whole point here is that my server was down, so I wasn't registered with anyone :(

I'm only trying to help, but I think the question had to do with which server you
were connected to. Jupiter, as you know, is in a beta mode and could be having some glitches that Sip does not have..

dswartz
01-01-2009, 06:40 PM
Understood and appreciated...

VOIPoTim
01-01-2009, 08:15 PM

Well what I'm saying is that it wasn't tested thoroughly on jupiter yet, only on the current one. If you were on it, that could have been a problem.

In terms of everything else, it seems to be working fine, so I'm going to have an engineer look in the logs for your account first thing tomorrow and maybe the routing in terms of calls to the area the failover number is in.

fisamo
01-02-2009, 11:50 AM
Well what I'm saying is that it wasn't tested thoroughly on jupiter yet, only on the current one. If you were on it, that could have been a problem.

In terms of everything else, it seems to be working fine, so I'm going to have an engineer look in the logs for your account first thing tomorrow and maybe the routing in terms of calls to the area the failover number is in.

FWIW, I just tested with my system. With my earlier problems with voicemail (still not resolved--just haven't put in a ticket yet), I had gone back to the sip (as opposed to jupiter) server. I took my system offline, called my residential#, got bumped over to my cell phone. I then re-enabled my network, registered on jupiter, confirmed only one registration on vPanel, re-disabled my network, and called. (phew! ) This time, I got a connection error message from VZW. I'd bet the issue will be found on Jupiter somewhere.

dswartz
01-02-2009, 11:56 AM
That's a relief, I wondered if I was going nuts :) Thanks for confirming this...

dswartz
01-02-2009, 06:08 PM
Brandon has fixed whatever was causing this. Thanks!