PDA

View Full Version : PPPoe on the ATA?

Xponder1
01-02-2009, 10:53 AM
What settings are supposed to work on this ATA for PPPoe? Currently I have the ATA plugged in to my router with the ports forwarded and the router assigning it a static IP address. I spent hours (not a exaggeration) last night trying to fix the ATA after trying to get PPPoe to work on the ATA. Currently the router is handling my PPPoe connection.

So here is the problem. First of all my DSL from AT&T has a problem where if I let the DSL modem handle the PPPoe connection it drops all the time. The fix was running PPPoe on my router (WRT54GS V6 running Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (09/26/08) micro). I went threw 4 different DSL modems and they all developed a disconnect problem after awhile. Let the router handle PPPoe and it works great. AT&T tech support are morons and they just say they are aware of the problem and to let the router handle PPPoe.

When I first got the ATA I plugged it in to the router and forwarded the ports per the instructions on this paper that came with it. It worked fine that night but the next day there was a static like sound. From fighting with this I have figured out you get a dial tone once the adapter loads even if you have no internet connection to it and are unable to connect to the internet. I bring this up because the static I would assume was between the ATA and handset because you could hear it with just a dial tone.

Last night I thought I would try to connect it and have it handle PPPoe. The PPPoe settings were correct and the ATA would connect to the internet fine and I was able to make calls (static was gone). The problem was nothing I could do to the ATA would get it to pass the internet on to the router or even a computer plugged in the the LAN port. I also could not get back in the ATA to change the settings.

Having no real documentation for the ATA I performed several different resets on it until it finally reset back to defaults and I was able to login the ATA with pc connected directly to it. Then I started this whole process over and got the same results.

It was really frustrating. This adapter is not passing DHCP to a connected pc or router. What settings do you have to change to make that work? Oh, and in order to get the ATA to connect with VOIPo's server(s) again even after I put the ATA back behind my router I figured out from trial and error that I had to have the ATA pingable to the WAN side. If it was not set to pingable it would not work connect. My router would assign it a ip but it would sit there and do nothing but blink once in awhile until I set the ATA to WAN pingable. It seems the many resets I did reset that setting because I never touched it.

I know the ATA is "supposed" to be a router and pass the internet to the LAN side but it is not. What is the fix for that? I know they only support the ATA if its not behind a router so I need help to make it work the way it is supposed to.

fisamo
01-02-2009, 12:08 PM
I'm a little confused. You say that the ATA would not pass the internet on to the connected computer when set up in PPPoE mode, correct? You were able to regain access by doing a factory reset to the ATA, and when you re-entered PPPoE settings, you lost access via the LAN port, right?

What happens when you save the PPPoE settings? Is your PC's IP address lease forcibly expired? (Or does the adapter reboot, and then not assign an IP address to the PC?)

Xponder1
01-02-2009, 09:07 PM
I'm a little confused. You say that the ATA would not pass the internet on to the connected computer when set up in PPPoE mode, correct? You were able to regain access by doing a factory reset to the ATA, and when you re-entered PPPoE settings, you lost access via the LAN port, right?

What happens when you save the PPPoE settings? Is your PC's IP address lease forcibly expired? (Or does the adapter reboot, and then not assign an IP address to the PC?)

1. Yes it would not pass the internet on to the router or to a pc.
2. Yes I was able to get back in by doing a factory reset. I assumed that is what it was I just treated it like my linksys.
3. Yes I lost access to the device after entering pppoe settings (which was nothing more than a email address and password).
4. When you save something it says the changes will take affect after it reboots. So the first time I just unplugged it and plugged it in the router. The second time I tried I let it reboot then unplugged it.
5. The adapter would act like it was not there. When connected to a pc it would time out and windows would say it had limited or no connectivity.

I was advised by support to keep it behind the router but the thing is it works fine for hours then you start hearing this crackling sound. I am wondering if its possible this ATA is faulty because from all the work I did with it I figured out you can get a dial tone with no internet. You can plug this thing in the electricity with no other wires except power and 5 minutes later pick up the phone and there is the dial tone. *** 02 and it will say your ip is 0.0.0.0 but the dial tone is clear.

So my theory (anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong) is that if I hear crackling when I pick up the phone and hear the dial tone that it is coming from the ATA and has nothing to do with networking. If I make a call I hear the same crackling sounds. Its really annoying.

Perhaps when it warms up it starts it. I am not really sure. But if it was network related I would not think it would start the crackling sounds until after you dial a number and it connects to a server because the dial tone is generated by the ATA.

Xponder1
01-02-2009, 09:12 PM
Also worth adding
1. The noise I am hearing is not heard by the other party during a call. Its crystal clear.
2. If you pick up the phone while it makes the crackling sounds and dial *** to get the IVR its crystal clear when the IVR comes on and dial 02 its clear giving the ip no crackling.
3. Pick up the phone again and the dial tone is crackling away.

usa2k
01-02-2009, 09:40 PM
It sounds like the device needs replacing.

Xponder1
01-02-2009, 10:31 PM
It sounds like the device needs replacing.

Ya I emailed support before I posted that suggesting the same. ;)
It's nice to hear someone else thinks so too.

Xponder1
01-02-2009, 11:23 PM
I recorded the audio issue I am having.
It's a .mp3 link is http://www.familysite.ws/audio/audio_issue.mp3

Also found if I just reboot it threw the web interface instead of unplugging it that the audio problem stays.

I also tried plugging my phone in the #2 slot and its the same.