PDA

View Full Version : Inbound CNAME?

dswartz
01-07-2009, 10:25 PM
Am I misremembering, or is that supposed to be a standard feature? I just got a call from a friend who has a POTS number, and only the CID number showed, no name...

usa2k
01-08-2009, 05:09 AM
Am I misremembering, or is that supposed to be a standard feature? I just got a call from a friend who has a POTS number, and only the CID number showed, no name...
I would call that outbound CNAM

IIRC ported numbers, but not all VOIPo numbers are capable ....

dswartz
01-08-2009, 06:39 AM
No, you're misunderstanding. I'm saying HER CNAME didn't show up at my end. I thought voipo provided that. It's fairly cheap to do so, the reason many voip providers don't provide outbound CNAME is because they'd have to pay to put the info in various databases...)

Montano
01-08-2009, 06:54 AM
I get incoming CNAM. Has she called before, and did her name show up ?

dswartz
01-08-2009, 11:14 AM
yes, and yes. same with my dad. same with the town hall. same with my work number. oddly, i just tried calling from work now and now the name IS showing up :(

VOIPoTim
01-08-2009, 11:22 AM
Yes, all accounts should have it on inbound calls. If it's not sent with the call, we query one of the regional storage databases for the info.

The only time we wouldn't show it is if there's no entry for it or it came back with no data. In this case, there's an entry if it's shown before so it may have just been an error where no data came back that one time.

dswartz
01-08-2009, 11:45 AM
Hmmm, well this was the case on several calls yesterday. Maybe it was a transient error? I'll let you know if it happens again...

VOIPoTim
01-08-2009, 12:09 PM
Hmmm, well this was the case on several calls yesterday. Maybe it was a transient error? I'll let you know if it happens again...

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Maybe the DB lookup failed so it didn't return anything, but now it's fine?

scott2020
01-08-2009, 04:42 PM
People calling me from cell phones I don't get incoming CNAM, which is understandable since from what I understand cell phones aren't in the CNAM usually. However, I do get some "anonymous" calls every now and then from people I know, and have had CNAM incoming in the past. Usually it happens very rarely though.

Scott

dswartz
01-08-2009, 05:22 PM
Yes, but what was happening here was nothing. No anonymous, no 'CELL PHONE MA', nothing. Null string. I think Tim's right, it was some kind of glitch. I do have sources like anywho I can query in my custom context if the CNAME is null, as a backstop.

NY Tel Guy
01-08-2009, 05:56 PM
People calling me from cell phones I don't get incoming CNAM, which is understandable since from what I understand cell phones aren't in the CNAM usually. However, I do get some "anonymous" calls every now and then from people I know, and have had CNAM incoming in the past. Usually it happens very rarely though.

ScottSprint provides CNAM and I believe AT&T does.
I know my Verizon cell does not.

dswartz
01-08-2009, 07:10 PM
My cell used to be vzw and didn't. It's now t-mobile and doesn't :(

NY Tel Guy
01-08-2009, 07:19 PM
My cell used to be vzw and didn't. It's now t-mobile and doesn't :(Yeah Tmobile does not.

Vumes
01-08-2009, 07:25 PM
I have T-Mobile and for me when I call the house phone (Voipo) name and number both come up. My old voip service was the same as well.

dswartz
01-08-2009, 07:41 PM
Hmmm, was the t-mobile number ported from a landline perhaps?

Vumes
01-08-2009, 07:45 PM
No. I got the number when I signed up with T-Mobile 5 years ago. Bout the same time, I had signed up with Vonage and I never had a problem with the CNAM since way back then. Now that I'm with Voipo, I still don't have the problem with the CNAM and my cell phone. My wife also has T-Mobile and my name comes up on that one as well. Well, now I changed it in the vPanel so her name will come up, but before that, it still didn't have that problem.

zevin
01-08-2009, 08:47 PM
A few of my friends have T-mobile and I get their name and number.