PDA

View Full Version : VMWI won't turn off

Montano
01-09-2009, 08:02 PM
Anyone else seeing this ? It was working fine before, but now it won't turn off. I made sure all new/old messages were deleted, and I tried the 'update MWI' button also.

VOIPoTim
01-09-2009, 08:53 PM
Yeah, MWI has ongoing issues.

---
Here is from a DSLR post:

In terms of the MWI light, this is an ongoing issue in terms of compatibility with some phones. We are working with Grandstream on this because we are sending the notifications correctly and we were told this should work much better in an upcoming firmware upgrade. From testing, it appears this will be the case. So MWI currently does seem to have a small error rate where the signal is not being processed correctly (mostly it not going back off). We acknowledge this as a known issue.
---

We've talked to several other providers having the same issue with the 502 and are working with GS on it...

I think this is in part because the 502 is not a "mature" device per say. It's stable, but probably hasn't been around long enough to address all the compatibility issues with different phones. They assure us it's being improved.

VOIPoTim
01-09-2009, 08:55 PM
Wait. You're using BYOD and still seeing issues with it?

Montano
01-09-2009, 09:02 PM
Yes :) My light has been on for a few days now.

This IS the BYOD forum Tim ;)

quattrohead
01-10-2009, 01:32 PM
I have had this issue all along and it was put down to having the GS502 behind my router.
I have now moved it in front and still cannot get rid of the stutter dial tone. It goes after a reboot but comes back later.
BTW, no speed issues with the GS502 in the chain of devices, still maxing out the Comcast connection !!!!!

Montano
01-10-2009, 01:35 PM
I did a reboot of my PAP2T and the light went off. I called, left a message, light came on. I listened to the message, deleted it, light stayed on :(

burris
01-10-2009, 01:47 PM
I have had this issue all along and it was put down to having the GS502 behind my router.
I have now moved it in front and still cannot get rid of the stutter dial tone. It goes after a reboot but comes back later.
BTW, no speed issues with the GS502 in the chain of devices, still maxing out the Comcast connection !!!!!

I find the same with my DSL. I have it behind my router but at first, thought it was flaky. Discovered that my router was not too good. Got a Linksys 54G or something, and that didn't play well either. Picked up an ASUS WL-520GU and plugged it in..haven't looked back since..and the QOS works quite well.
I use my DSL modem as a bridge to it and the GS plugs into a port and away we go. I don't use the VOIPo VM as my wife likes the answer machine. Since it's remotely accessible, nothing is lost.

I was a bit apprehensive about the GS502, but that little thing just sits there and plays nice. In fact, I put my trusted SPA2102 on the backup shelf.
I should have known that if Tim chose this box, it would either run well or he would have bought the GS company and made it do so. ;)

usa2k
01-10-2009, 05:52 PM
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r21635927-
Was very inexpensive in this post.

Is Asus WL-520U loaded with the Tomato software?

Montano
01-10-2009, 06:57 PM
My VWMI appears to be working again :)

burris
01-10-2009, 09:09 PM
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r21635927-
Was very inexpensive in this post.

Is Asus WL-520U loaded with the Tomato software?

I got lucky with the special and rebate when it appeared. Best router I ever had.

It is capable but why would I need it. Just as it came out of the box, with a few config changes, it just sits there and works solidly. I don't remember when I had to reboot it, or the 502 or DSL modem for that matter.

I get the full speed that I am paying for...I don't know what else I'm missing.

VOIPoTim
01-14-2009, 12:41 PM
Just curious if this is the case for anyone else....

If your MWI won't turn off, do you have any messages in other folders on vPanel?

quattrohead
01-14-2009, 03:48 PM
I still have the stutter tone even after clearing new messages.
Having old messages should not make this happen, right ???

NY Tel Guy
01-14-2009, 03:57 PM
Just curious if this is the case for anyone else....

If your MWI won't turn off, do you have any messages in other folders on vPanel?
Today at noon I received a call, it went to Voice Mail and the MWI went on.
I listened to the message, cleared it and when I got home at 3 PM the MWI was still on.
Had to clear it in Vpanel.
There are 2 old messages in my saved folder.

VOIPoTim
01-14-2009, 04:02 PM
I still have the stutter tone even after clearing new messages.
Having old messages should not make this happen, right ???

It shouldn't, but I think could just be the issue. Trying to gather more data to support that so we can look into it more.

quattrohead
01-14-2009, 07:16 PM
OK, here is a big clue !!!
I had another inbox showing in my control panel that showed zero messages when collapsed. However, when I expanded it there was a message in there from long ago.
Deleted it and the folder went away to leave my other inbox with 3 messages in it. I clicked the link to clear VMI and finally the stutter tone went away.
So to summarize, phantom inbox with message. I guess a beta account leftover.
Did this about 20:10 EST if you want to check the logs for my account.

VOIPoTim
01-14-2009, 08:32 PM
Yeah this is a big part of the problem I think.

We originally thought it was firmware because we kept finding no issues in our notification scripts and kept hassling GS to fix it.

We're looking into this possibility (it's counting old messages) more now to make sure it's not this.

ralfaro
01-15-2009, 08:14 AM
Yeah this is a big part of the problem I think.

We originally thought it was firmware because we kept finding no issues in our notification scripts and kept hassling GS to fix it.

We're looking into this possibility (it's counting old messages) more now to make sure it's not this.
This happened to me last night, 01/14. I got 2 voice mails in a row. I logged into voice mail and listend to and deleted the messages. The MWI persisted however. The only way I was able to get rid of it was by recycling the GrandStream adapter. I think I still hav an old message in the "work" folder that I moved there a couple of days ago.

bretski
01-16-2009, 03:13 PM
Mine just started this behavior today, after having some other issues with the ATA (ht502). There are no messages in my box, neither new nor old. Phone2 blinks and tones. Check vm, nothing there, exit. Phone1 then starts blinking and tone. Check vm, nothing there, exit.

Light comes back on phone 2 after a few minutes, and the cycle begins anew. Been doing this for the last couple of hours.

bretski
01-16-2009, 06:15 PM
Update: My lights and stutter tones went off a couple of hours ago. Notified support as soon as I noticed it.

Montano
01-31-2009, 04:53 PM
My light has been on for days now. I have deleted all messages in all mailboxes, rebooted TA, not sure what else to try.....

voxabox
02-01-2009, 08:55 AM
My light has been on for days now. I have deleted all messages in all mailboxes, rebooted TA, not sure what else to try.....

Info needed, ie, ATA, network config, etc

Montano
02-01-2009, 10:39 AM
PAP2T behind a WRT54GS running Tomato.

VWMI has been hit and miss since Voipo implemented it. I don't believe it's anything on my end, but I'm willing to try anything :)

burris
02-01-2009, 01:18 PM
PAP2T behind a WRT54GS running Tomato.

VWMI has been hit and miss since Voipo implemented it. I don't believe it's anything on my end, but I'm willing to try anything :)

In doing some searching for the differences programmed into the GS502 from before the reg problem to after, I noticed that the following was changed...

Yes, send periodical SUBSCRIBE for Message Waiting Indication

No, do not send SUBSCRIBE for Message Waiting Indication

Originally it was set to 'no' but after the last provision, it now says 'yes'

Except for seeing the difference, I have no further knowledge about how it should work as I don't use the system VM.

Montano
02-01-2009, 01:32 PM
The one thing I notice is that even thought there are no messages in any of my voicemail boxes, my PAP2T shows 'Message Waiting: Yes' on the Info page. So it would seem that it's not getting the message that there are no messages :)

usa2k
02-02-2009, 07:49 AM
FWIW: I've been noticing that the HT502 with UNIDEN phones has been working flawlessly lately.

Xponder1
02-02-2009, 10:07 AM
FWIW: I've been noticing that the HT502 with UNIDEN phones has been working flawlessly lately.

My HT-502 with a Panasonic 5 phone system works fine.

Montano
02-02-2009, 01:05 PM
I also have Uniden phones. Hopefully now that the PAP2T will be shipping, we can get this issue resolved. I know Tim will figure it out :)

NY Tel Guy
02-02-2009, 03:28 PM
I also have Uniden phones. Hopefully now that the PAP2T will be shipping, we can get this issue resolved. I know Tim will figure it out :)Gee, does anyone have any spare Uniden phones they can send me so I can test the MWI??:p

TomP
02-03-2009, 01:50 PM

I have the HT502 and UNIDEN phones as well, but the MWI problem persists.

kevm
02-03-2009, 03:49 PM
I have a uniden dect 6.0 and the VMWI works most of the time. I have needed to reset it via vpanel a couple of times

Montano
02-03-2009, 07:29 PM
I turned off all the VMWI stuff in my PAP2T and now it does not show a message waiting, and I do not get the stutter tone. However, the VMWI on my phone is still on :(

fisamo
02-03-2009, 09:49 PM
If you don't have a way of manually resetting the VMWI on your phone (e.g. on Uniden cordless sets, holding the PAGE/Find Handset button for about 5 sec clears the light), try turning your VMWI stuff back on, and reboot the PAP with a bogus sip domain. Maybe it will send a clear MWI signal in that state.

Montano
02-04-2009, 07:55 AM
I will try the page button trick and see if it works. Thanks ;)

Montano
02-04-2009, 02:26 PM
I did the page button trick and for the first time in several weeks I have no VMWI light on :)

I was so happy to see the light go off that I didn't even want to test it by leaving a voicemail !! Many thanks for the tip.

fisamo
02-04-2009, 02:47 PM
If you had gotten really desparate, I would have suggested that you contact NY Tel to see if he had any leftover 'black dot stickers' from the early ATTCV DVG-1120M-behind-the-router days (status light flashed red--very annoying) :eek: Glad you're all set. :)

NY Tel Guy
02-04-2009, 05:07 PM
If you had gotten really desparate, I would have suggested that you contact NY Tel to see if he had any leftover 'black dot stickers' from the early ATTCV DVG-1120M-behind-the-router days (status light flashed red--very annoying) :eek: Glad you're all set. :)I have those stickers just in case. I'm going to try and get some bailout funds from the government to cover the cost of storing them in a warehouse in Long Island City.
Oh but then my compensation will be capped at 500K;)

VOIPoRay
02-06-2009, 08:27 PM
I have those stickers just in case. I'm going to try and get some bailout funds from the government to cover the cost of storing them in a warehouse in Long Island City.
Oh but then my compensation will be capped at 500K;)

who's still having issues with their MWI? i'd like to keep from having NY Tel Guy's compensation capped at 500k, so we'll let him sell his stickers elsewhere ;-)... i seem to have some time lately, so i'd like to get as much info on this as i can.... (i.e. is this easy to reproduce? like, will it happen any time you get a new vm, etc) also, if you could pm me with your problem DID and an IM or some way that i can get hold of you (especially if you're near your ATA at around 3-6PM Pacific Time) then we can go through some testing and see if we can finally lick this pesky issue... unless you guys just like the sticker idea ;-)

Montano
02-06-2009, 08:39 PM
<~~ Raises hand :)

I'm having a problem with the light never going off. PM headed your way.