PDA

View Full Version : Another Residential VOIP Provider Closing

VOIPoTim
01-15-2009, 01:49 PM
Just a heads up, another residential VoIP provider is winding things down now and preparing for a client fire sale to try to sell their clients before time runs out.

I can't say names due to NDA, but it's a complete liquidation.

I think we're going to sit this one out, but anyway...another one is as good as gone now.

Vumes
01-15-2009, 05:10 PM
Sweet! Less competition for Voipo. Plus customers being moved elsewhere might not like the idea, and they can jump on the great deal that Voipo is offering.

voxabox
01-15-2009, 06:00 PM
uhm, I think I get it this time;)
hints (http://forums.voipo.com/showpost.php?p=7628&postcount=16)

Brian
01-15-2009, 07:34 PM
Just a heads up, another residential VoIP provider is winding things down now and preparing for a client fire sale to try to sell their clients before time runs out.

I can't say names due to NDA, but it's a complete liquidation.

I think we're going to sit this one out, but anyway...another one is as good as gone now.

Can you tell us if this is a big provider that we will recognize?

NY Tel Guy
01-15-2009, 08:04 PM
Can you tell us if this is a big provider that we will recognize?Yes, are we able to TALK about it Via this forum?:eek:

zevin
01-15-2009, 10:07 PM
http://fc28.deviantart.com/images3/i/2004/09/f/f/Wow_Emoticon.gif

Montano
01-16-2009, 06:54 AM
Yes, are we able to TALK about it Via this forum?:eek:

Wishful thinking, or inside information ?

Xponder1
01-16-2009, 08:47 AM
"I can't say names due to NDA, but it's a complete liquidation."
"preparing for a client fire sale to try to sell their clients before time runs out"

NDA = None disclosure agreement.

Sounds like they contacted VOIPo and are trying to sell their customers to them.

quattrohead
01-16-2009, 08:50 AM
I think its AT&T, polatitions broke up the bells, the 2 t's are the twins, don't know about rain or bailout, if you don't ask about rate reductions, they don't tell and they are international.
What do i win !!!!

quattrohead
01-16-2009, 08:52 AM
As extra evidence from their website

"Thank you for your interest in AT&T CallVantageĀ® service. Currently we are not accepting new orders for AT&T CallVantage service. We will continue to evaluate our AT&T CallVantage service and remain committed to providing leading, next generation voice services for today's consumer and business customers. For information on other AT&T products and service please visit www.att.com"

Xponder1
01-16-2009, 08:58 AM
As extra evidence from their website

"Thank you for your interest in AT&T CallVantageĀ® service. Currently we are not accepting new orders for AT&T CallVantage service. We will continue to evaluate our AT&T CallVantage service and remain committed to providing leading, next generation voice services for today's consumer and business customers. For information on other AT&T products and service please visit www.att.com"

That message has been there for a least a year and a half. :p

dbmaven
01-23-2009, 12:12 PM
Looks like it's Verizon Voicewing

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r21793910-Verizon-Voicewing-Terminating-ALL-Service-Effective-March-31

VOIPoTim
01-23-2009, 12:25 PM
Looks like it's Verizon Voicewing

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r21793910-Verizon-Voicewing-Terminating-ALL-Service-Effective-March-31

Actually this is another one.

Name is also at the end of the alphabet though. Just can't name it due to NDAs.

dbmaven
01-23-2009, 12:40 PM
Hmmmm..... high end of the alphabet....

Vonage and ViaTalk immediately come to mind....

burris
01-23-2009, 12:48 PM
Hmmmm..... high end of the alphabet....

Vonage and ViaTalk immediately come to mind....

Almost coincidental that it would relate to VT, as Tim was a principal in that company. Seems to relate to a non-disclosure agreement that has his hands tied at the moment.
If that's the case, he certainly can't speak...that is until he makes a bid for the remains and succeeds with it.:p

Brian
01-23-2009, 12:49 PM
Of course, with them rolling out new features, etc, I would have to wonder a little about it being them...

burris
01-23-2009, 12:52 PM
Of course, with them rolling out new features, etc, I would have to wonder a little about it being them...

If I remember, the crew of the Titanic was arranging the deck chairs as the ship was sinking..;)

dbmaven
01-23-2009, 01:02 PM

I would to. Doesn't add up. But if investors are screaming, little does it matter what the troops in the trenches are doing.....Of course, if it is ViaTalk - the fact that they just moved to the HT502 as their standard ATA device makes a transition awfully easy.... ;)

There are several other possibilities at that end of the alphabet - Packet8 (having some interesting problems this week) and the remains of the SunRocket disaster = Teleblend....

burris
01-23-2009, 01:04 PM
I would to. Doesn't add up. But if investors are screaming, little does it matter what the troops in the trenches are doing.....Of course, if it is ViaTalk - the fact that they just moved to the HT502 as their standard ATA device makes a transition awfully easy.... ;)

There are several other possibilities at that end of the alphabet - Packet8 (having some interesting problems this week) and the remains of the SunRocket disaster = Teleblend....

I wonder if Teleblend's demise would even rate a line of print on page 50 of a 49 page newspaper.:rolleyes:

quattrohead
01-23-2009, 01:11 PM
Sunrocket just rolled out a new billing system and website when the budgie fell off the perch !!!!
So is it before or after V......

dbmaven
01-23-2009, 01:28 PM
I wonder if Teleblend's demise would even rate a line of print on page 50 of a 49 page newspaper.:rolleyes:

rofl :D

I do know of one forum that would have a huge jump in activity....

VOIPoTim
01-23-2009, 01:30 PM

If it were TB and we did it, would we inherit their forum too? ;)

It's not them, but good guess for sure.

NY Tel Guy
01-23-2009, 06:41 PM
If it were TB and we did it, would we inherit their forum too? ;)

It's not them, but good guess for sure.
My money's on the one from New York State.

Vumes
01-23-2009, 06:43 PM
Too bad its not the company from the state of New Jersey!! :rolleyes:

NY Tel Guy
01-23-2009, 06:45 PM
Too bad its not the company from the state of New Jersey!! :rolleyes:You notice that there is a common link here: The letter "V"

Vonage
ViaTalk
Voicewing
Voipo

Vumes
01-23-2009, 06:56 PM
So just for my knowledge, is ViaTalk backed by "a multi-million dollar web hosting company?"

NY Tel Guy
01-23-2009, 06:58 PM
So just for my knowledge, is ViaTalk backed by "a multi-million dollar web hosting company?"
I believe that is the case.

Vumes
01-23-2009, 06:59 PM
Ok, just making sure. Thanks.

NY Tel Guy
01-23-2009, 07:07 PM
rofl :D

I do know of one forum that would have a huge jump in activity....Yes and beginning tonight for the whole weekend, DSL Reports will be DOWN Totally for a database move.

VOIPoTim
01-23-2009, 07:20 PM

Yeah. HostRocket was doing ~ $2.4 million a year when I was there.

Comparitively, we did ~ $37 million at HostGator this past year.

Brian
01-23-2009, 09:12 PM
How soon might we see this company close down?

usa2k
02-03-2009, 06:34 AM
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r21847419-General-Level3-a-goner

Is it Level3? Makes sense you would have a non-disclosure.
You wanted CLEC status too . . .

NY Tel Guy
02-09-2009, 09:22 PM
Has anyone seen this and can they confirm it? *

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r21887080-ATT-Callvantage-will-disconnect-in-Feb

* Source: Fisamo

VOIPoTim
02-09-2009, 09:39 PM

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r21887080-ATT-Callvantage-will-disconnect-in-Feb

Not the one I've been talking about, but still nice to hear.

I'm guessing I'll be in the minority here when I said the more the merrier. ;)

Xponder1
02-10-2009, 08:06 AM

That thread reminds me. Magic jack looks like a joke but they are sure spending a ton of money on advertising.

Xponder1
02-10-2009, 08:07 AM
Not the one I've been talking about, but still nice to hear.

I'm guessing I'll be in the minority here when I said the more the merrier. ;)

I keep wondering when the heck is Vonage going to fold its cards. It is long overdue.

fisamo
02-10-2009, 10:47 AM
See my follow-up post in the DSLR thread referenced by NY Tel. Looks like CallVantage will be phased out over the next several months, with users getting 60 days from their termination notice to port away. After they stopped taking new customers, I can't say I'm surprised by this move. Disappointed, but not surprised.

VOIPoTim
02-11-2009, 12:49 PM
Here is my view...

Look at their (AT&T and Verizon) situation in comparison to the cable companies. That's who they consider to be their biggest competition.

Now look at the pricepoints. The cable companies saw huge growth with average pricing being $40+/mo and without the hassle of ATAs, etc.

AT&T and Verizon on the other hand had VoIP services competition with their other offerings at a low pricepoint and didn't see much growth in them.

If they compare their situation to the one with the cable companies, I can't say I blame them.

Back when they had launched these services, the cable co stuff wasn't really in the picture then and these were more of a reaction to Vonage. I don't think they even want to compete in the Vonage/independent market since it's primarily driven by price.

Today with the fiber services and the fact that DSL coverage is very very high, why not drop the low-priced independent service and push a new service bundling hard and in a more integrated way?

Obviously the higher price point is not an issue for the cable companies, so they likely have some confidence in it not being so for them either if they execute it well.

That's how I'd look at it.

fisamo
02-11-2009, 02:09 PM
Oh, I completely agree with you. Look at Uverse Voice where it's available. It has all of the good features of CallVantage (might as well keep the good parts from the 'old' acquired company, right?) at the cableco price point.

I'm just disappointed that I'm losing a service that's been spot-on reliable and already has the features I use most at a reasonable price. (So when did you say are you launching Voipo Connect?) The other thing CV has had on Voipo, from my perspective, is 4 years of post-launch experience. You've just experienced the thrill of launch, along with the little 'critters' that stow away and then chew on the wiring as soon as you reach orbit... On the one hand, you definitely have learned a lot from your previous experience, and that shows (very much a compliment). On the other hand, you still have a new system that's getting on its feet, and you have some major changes planned for the near future (Connect/voicemail system, for example). That is not a complaint or a criticism, just a statement of where you are right now.

Since I did sign up for a yearly account, you can rest assured that I'll stick around. When you bring back Carrier, I'll be able to have my main line on Residential service, and do my playing on that system. ;)

VOIPoTim
05-19-2009, 10:49 PM
Actually this is another one.

Name is also at the end of the alphabet though. Just can't name it due to NDAs.

Looks like this finally happened.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r22399634-Zingotel-Gone

They were desperately trying to sell their clients, but wanted $100+ for them. That's below average, but right now our acquisition cost is aproximately $32 (HostGator is right around this as well) so it just wouldn't make sense to pay $100+ for a client at this point.

usa2k
05-20-2009, 06:21 AM
Was it a big client list?

VOIPoTim
05-20-2009, 12:45 PM
Was it a big client list?

Nope, we've had some weeks bigger than it.