PDA

View Full Version : So long, Qwest!

bretski
01-15-2009, 03:40 PM
Well, the proverbial cord has been severed. I said, "buh-bye!" to Qwest today. The best part about it was the snarky comments I got from the CS rep: "You aren't going with VoIP, are you?! I can totally tell. The call sounds really bad on my end."

"Why yes, Ms. Qwest rep. I did switch to a VoIP provider, thanks very much. The call sounds fine on my end."

"Which one did you go with, MagicJack?"

"hahahahahahahhahahahaha...uh, no. The name of the company is VOIPo."

"Never heard of them. Of course, *I* get 50% off my service as a Qwest employee, so I'm not gonna switch to anything else."

:rolleyes:

Just thought I'd share...

scott2020
01-15-2009, 03:50 PM
When I canceled my AT&T and my DirecTV, I didn't even get so much as a transfer to the retention department! I had been with Direct for 11 years and decided I didn't need them anymore. I get everything over the air antenna now. I had been with AT&T forever and I was expecting them to throw the retention book at me and offer me something sweet, but they let me go easily. Not that I would have stayed anyway!

I have called so many customer service places that use some cheap IP based interconnect or old satellite garbage or something, and it sounds like they are talking under water. Good riddance to the landlines! The only way they can fight is to try to pass bogus laws or taxes or some junk on VOIP providers. They have no clue.

buckethead
01-15-2009, 08:57 PM
I dumped the Qwest landline while I was working there - albiet I was in the process of leaving - when I left for VoIPo. I did not get any type of offer or anything, although I did not have to call in as the port to VoIPo took care of the disconnect. When I did remove the DirecTV I do not recall if they tried to "save" me or not. Did not leave Qwest completely though as I use their standalone DSL.

Xponder1
01-15-2009, 09:14 PM
When I canceled my AT&T and my DirecTV, I didn't even get so much as a transfer to the retention department! I had been with Direct for 11 years and decided I didn't need them anymore. I get everything over the air antenna now. I had been with AT&T forever and I was expecting them to throw the retention book at me and offer me something sweet, but they let me go easily. Not that I would have stayed anyway!

I have called so many customer service places that use some cheap IP based interconnect or old satellite garbage or something, and it sounds like they are talking under water. Good riddance to the landlines! The only way they can fight is to try to pass bogus laws or taxes or some junk on VOIP providers. They have no clue.

First I think your confused. AT&T is partnered with DISH NETWORK not DIRECTV. So if you actually had DIRECTV instead of DISH NETWORK then your comments on DIRECTV have nothing to do with this thread.

Second it is impossible to disconnect DIRECTV without going to the retention department. They are the ONLY ones who can disconnect a account.
Some people can not be saved. What is offered has a lot to do with your attitude, how long you have been a customer, your payment history and what you say.

Third and final AT&T is dropping Dish Network in February and will start selling DIRECTV in areas they do not offer UVERSE and maybe as a option to people who do not want UVERSE. Until February of this year there has never been any arrangement between AT&T and DIRECTV.

orum
01-15-2009, 09:22 PM
I seemed to remember that AT&T offered DirecTV for a while as their satellite TV offerring. I did a quick web search and all the top hits are for the 2009 announcement.

I did, however, notice this in the FAQ posted here:
http://www.att.com/Common/merger/files/pdf/ATT_DIRECTV_Customer_FAQ.pdf

Q: AT&T already provides my DIRECTV service. Will my service/billing change in any
way?
A: No, you will continue to receive the same great programming and service. In the future,
you will also have the option of joint billing once it becomes available.

I think this would lead me to believe that they did offer this at one time.

Dan

Xponder1
01-15-2009, 09:29 PM
I seemed to remember that AT&T offered DirecTV for a while as their satellite TV offerring. I did a quick web search and all the top hits are for the 2009 announcement.

I did, however, notice this in the FAQ posted here:
http://www.att.com/Common/merger/files/pdf/ATT_DIRECTV_Customer_FAQ.pdf

Q: AT&T already provides my DIRECTV service. Will my service/billing change in any
way?
A: No, you will continue to receive the same great programming and service. In the future,
you will also have the option of joint billing once it becomes available.

I think this would lead me to believe that they did offer this at one time.

Dan

It is for former Bellsouth customers. Bellsouth who no longer exists because it was consumed by AT&T did offer DIRECTV. When they merged they had to stop offering DIRECTV due to their legal agreement with DISH NETWORK.
Read the part about joint billing again.;)

orum
01-15-2009, 09:41 PM
OK.. That makes sense. I remembered it from Ameritech, not "AT&T". It was right around the time that SBC and Ameritech became one. I recalled that they didn't offer it long, and then all of the sudden it changed to Dish here in Illinois.

I think of them as interchangable now and forget that they didn't use to be the same.

Thanks for the reminder.

Dan

scott2020
01-15-2009, 09:58 PM
First I think your confused. AT&T is partnered with DISH NETWORK not DIRECTV. So if you actually had DIRECTV instead of DISH NETWORK then your comments on DIRECTV have nothing to do with this thread.

Woah, take it easy. What does this thread have to do with anything? That's why it is in the "off topic" forum. I'm just making conversation. And, my two services were separate.

Second it is impossible to disconnect DIRECTV without going to the retention department. They are the ONLY ones who can disconnect a account.
Some people can not be saved. What is offered has a lot to do with your attitude, how long you have been a customer, your payment history and what you say.

If you say so. Like I said, I was a paying customer for 11 years and never late once, and they made it really easy for me to leave. What does this have to do with anything? Nothing. Again, just chatting in an off topic forum about general customer service things.

Third and final AT&T is dropping Dish Network in February and will start selling DIRECTV in areas they do not offer UVERSE and maybe as a option to people who do not want UVERSE. Until February of this year there has never been any arrangement between AT&T and DIRECTV.

Yes, I know. I was a customer of both AT&T and DirecTV. I was not confused; you made an assumption I was combining the two companies into one partnership, which I was not.

Anyway, I guess back to the topic of Quest, since that seems to be an important factor for some reason. Wait, I don't have Quest...

christcorp
01-17-2009, 08:43 PM
I left qwest twice. The first time was to get rid of POTS BUT keep my DSL. That was about 4 years ago. They tried to get me to stay. Offered my some discounts. I told them if they offered their Voip; which they have; for a price that was NOT THE EXACT SAME PRICE as their POTS; that I'd consider it. However, they wouldn't do that so I left. I recently discontinued my DSL with qwest and went with bresnan cable. I really like Qwest's DSL and their price. Unfortunately, I need more bandwidth for the things I "LIKE" to do. Qwest doesn't plan on upgrading my area any time soon. They did try and give me 3 months at half price. Then 6 months at half price. I said I wanted the bandwidth more than the money. So I switched.

As for Directv; that's a no brainer "IN MY OPINION". I am a video junkie. High Def; Big Screen(s) (Multiple); Blu-Ray; etc... I have used 4 cable companies in different towns in the last 5 years. At the same time having Directv at my home for the last 10 years. (Prior to that; C-Band). There is NO WAY I would trade directv for ANY CABLE company's tv service. For the number of channels I get; the number of HD channels I get; the quality of the picture; the reliability of the service; etc... Cable doesn't even come close. But then again, that is another topic all together. later... mike....