PDA

View Full Version : Alpha Feature: SMS Control

VOIPoTim
01-18-2009, 10:35 PM
This is an alpha feature in initial development.

Basically, this allows you to register your cell phone with your account and then send text messages to us to control settings like DND, forwarding, failover, etc. The concept is that if you're out and about and want to forward your calls as an example, one quick text message would take care of it.

Some things planned:

- Adding more security

- Adding e-mail/sms confirmations of all actions

- Adding an option to include a PIN number in the command

Testing SMS Number: 95495

Commands Available Now:

VOIPO1 FWD NUMBER (Enable Forwarding to a Number)
VOIPO1 FWD OFF (Disable Forwarding)
VOIPO1 FWD ME (Forward to Your Cell)

VOIPO1 DND BUSY (Enable DND - Busy)
VOIPO1 DND VOICEMAIL (Enable DND - Voicemail)
VOIPO1 DND OFF - (Disable DND)

VOIPO1 FAIL VOICEMAIL (Set Failover to Voicemail)
VOIPO1 FAIL NUMBER (Set Failover to Number)

For the early testing, you need to prepend VOIP1 to all commands. When this is rolled out to the public, you'll be able to text the commands directly to VOIPO (86476) without the need to prepend.

If you are logged into vPanel, you can access https://secure.voipo.com/features/sms to add your cell number so it'll match up your account.

Let us know if you have any issues with this. We'd also like to get some feedback as to how useful everyone feels this will be, how you'd like to see it work, and what commands you'd find useful.

chpalmer
01-19-2009, 12:43 AM
This is a great idea!

The only question I have is.....

If you have multiple numbers, then how can you specify which one you are changing? It seems you could only specify one. Of coarse this would only apply to about 1% of us...

;):)

gbh2o
01-19-2009, 12:56 AM

Basically, this allows you to register your cell phone with your account and then send text messages to us to control settings like DND, forwarding, failover, etc. The concept is that if you're out and about and want to forward your calls as an example, one quick text message would take care of it.
Why not just use short numeric codes or even the same *nn codes and save the text message cost. It is cheaper to me to spend voice time than SMS time (AT&T) ;( You could have voice confirmation of the requested action.

burris
01-19-2009, 05:48 AM
Why not just use short numeric codes or even the same *nn codes and save the text message cost. It is cheaper to me to spend voice time than SMS time (AT&T) ;( You could have voice confirmation of the requested action.

This is a good point especially for the aged cell phone users.

I have texting disabled on mine and my wife's phones, since we were getting mostly spam and paying for the messaging.

Voice would be a great communicator, but I understand that texting seems to be the way of cellular and the way of the world.

usa2k
01-19-2009, 06:02 AM
I imagine SMS scales better than a voice line?

* codes on SMS will help those that use it remember one list.

fisamo
01-19-2009, 08:34 AM
I agree with the comments regarding the desire for a voice interface to issue these commands remotely. (Shouldn't come as a surprise--I've been vocally requesting that feature for years--not just with voipo.) While this is a good intermediate step for most cell phone users, it does have significant limitations in comparison with a remote voice interface:

It can only be used from SMS-capable devices (e.g. not your friend's POTS phone).
For most customers, each SMS costs $0.20 or so--I, for one, will not purchase a $5/mo SMS package from my provider, because I don't use 25 msgs/mo yet. When the packages are included in most mobile plan prices, (I'm not holding my breath) it will be more useful.

That said, don't drop the feature. :) Also, may I suggest a callback bridge feature? command: CALLBACK [NUMBER]. This command will cause voipo to call the registered mobile phone (or specified number) and provide a dialtone to the answering party. The call made by the callback target party is charged against the voipo account. The main selling points of this feature would be the person who has a direct DID at their desk but is not allowed long distance outbound calls, or the mobile phone user who wants to place an international call at a more reasonable rate than that charged by their mobile provider...

gbh2o
01-19-2009, 10:45 AM

As a follow-up...
The other SIMPLE option could be to have different call-in numbers for different functions. By that, I mean one number by which to set and/or change failover, another number by which to set and/or change forwarding. That would require a bit of users setting up their phone to have the numbers in their address book to accomplish tasks for which they feel they may have use. DIDs are cheap! And, the system wouldn't even be restricted to cell phones. ;)

quattrohead
01-19-2009, 11:06 AM
Best would be to call your own number, so easy anyone will know it !!!
Then choose from
Press 1 to leave message, press 2 to control your options, press 3 to retrieve voicemail etc

NY Tel Guy
01-19-2009, 11:19 AM

If you are logged into vPanel, you can access https://secure.voipo.com/sms to add your cell number so it'll match up your account.

Let us know if you have any issues with this. We'd also like to get some feedback as to how useful everyone feels this will be, how you'd like to see it work, and what commands you'd find useful.I tried to access it in VPANEL and it told me I was nt authorized to view that page.
Has it been pushed out to all accounts yet? I re-booted by the way.

VOIPoTim
01-19-2009, 11:21 AM
I tried to access it in VPANEL and it told me I was nt authorized to view that page.
Has it been pushed out to all accounts yet? I re-booted by the way.

You have to already be logged into vPanel. It's kind of a backdoor to it right now while in testing.

chpalmer
01-19-2009, 11:28 AM
You have to already be logged into vPanel. It's kind of a backdoor to it right now while in testing.

I just tried for the first time after logging in and got the same thing...

NY Tel Guy
01-19-2009, 01:51 PM
Yup, me too.

Here is what the response says after you login and try to access the link provided:

Exception Caught: You are not authorized to view this page!

quattrohead
01-19-2009, 02:05 PM
Confirm same here right after logging in, FF3 if that matters.

VOIPoTim
01-19-2009, 02:19 PM
Let me have someone make sure it was added to all accounts access wise. We have a ton of "hidden features" only on some accounts, so maybe they haven't pushed to all. Give me a few mins and if not, it'll be enabled on all.

usa2k
01-19-2009, 10:15 PM
I want a hidden features link :D

Found it here: https://secure.voipo.com/features/sms (https://secure.voipo.com/features/sms:D)

Should be Toggle Active/Inactive
Not Toggle Active/Unactive

Perhaps you can make it Toggle Active/Inactive
So it matches the toggle state that you color the number on the list?

chpalmer
01-19-2009, 10:40 PM

Found it here: https://secure.voipo.com/features/sms (https://secure.voipo.com/features/sms:D)

You get a gold star!

;):)

usa2k
01-20-2009, 05:13 AM
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r21773063-Re-SMS-Call-Control-Feedback-Needed

Call back built into HostGator as a web function, would be a great sales/support tool for HostGator Customers and VOIPo Support. Just include a link asking for a call to your phone if you need to hear a real person.

NY Tel Guy
01-20-2009, 09:22 AM

Should be Toggle Active/Inactive
Not Toggle Active/Unactive

Perhaps you can make it Toggle Active/Inactive
So it matches the toggle state that you color the number on the list?
I am able to get to that page but it is the same exact page I had all along, there is no reference to SMS on the page.

rx100
01-20-2009, 06:30 PM
I tried to fwd my calls to my work no using the sms. First time when I sent the text message I typed in my work no incorrectly(I did not realize until I made a test call to my home). I tried to fix it by resending another text message with the correct no. It looks like the second sms is not updating the call forward no.

VOIPoBrandon
01-20-2009, 06:40 PM
I tried to fwd my calls to my work no using the sms. First time when I sent the text message I typed in my work no incorrectly(I did not realize until I made a test call to my home). I tried to fix it by resending another text message with the correct no. It looks like the second sms is not updating the call forward no.Could you reply with the text message that you sent, or rather PM me it.
________
Fetish Hentai (http://www.fucktube.com/categories/517/hentai/videos/1)

dtrose
01-20-2009, 07:53 PM
I am able to get to that page but it is the same exact page I had all along, there is no reference to SMS on the page.

Same for me as well. Do I need to be activated to use the special hidden features?

NY Tel Guy
01-20-2009, 07:56 PM
Same for me as well. Do I need to be activated to use the special hidden features?
Ok I got there finally by signing in, going to the normal features tab and then adding /sms at the end of the URL

VOIPoTim
01-20-2009, 08:02 PM
Sorry, there was a typo in my post.

https://secure.voipo.com/features/sms is correct URL.

I left out the /features/ part in the link.

orum
01-21-2009, 10:48 AM
While I don't suffer from this issue, you may want to also include the words (Active/Inactive) in case you have someone who can't distinguish Red/Green using VPanel to set up this feature.

I like the red and green, but I think it breaks accessibility rules.

Dan

ralfaro
01-21-2009, 12:09 PM
Dan, thanks for bringing this up. I in fact, would not be able to tell the difference between green and red due to a visual impairment, so you are correct I think in saying that not including text labels does break accessibility guidelines and I would hope this would be kept in mind when designing any new features..

RA

While I don't suffer from this issue, you may want to also include the words (Active/Inactive) in case you have someone who can't distinguish Red/Green using VPanel to set up this feature.

I like the red and green, but I think it breaks accessibility rules.

Dan

FireWERX
02-04-2009, 11:51 AM
Awesome, as usual.

VOIPoTim
02-04-2009, 01:46 PM
I know some of you have been using this because I see the logs.

Does anyone that uses it have any feedback on it?

bwarden
02-12-2009, 07:08 PM
I in fact, would not be able to tell the difference between green and red due to a visual impairment

I have a red/green deficiency, and I can confirm that it is difficult to distinguish the states... perhaps a flag or check mark would help?

dtrose
02-12-2009, 08:03 PM
I'd prefer to have a mobile version of the Control panel maybe at m.voipo.com, which would allow contol of the featre set.

bwarden
02-14-2009, 10:32 AM
I tried setting up forwarding last night with "VOIPO1 FWD ME", but I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't work, and I ended up disabling it. I checked vpanel this morning and finally figured it out -- my cell phone number is ABCDEFGHIJ, but vpanel showed the forwarding number as 1ABCDEEFGH. I'll send the actual number directly if it will help.

When I used "VOIPO1 FWD <explicit number>", it worked fine.

VOIPoTim
02-14-2009, 05:45 PM
I tried setting up forwarding last night with "VOIPO1 FWD ME", but I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't work, and I ended up disabling it. I checked vpanel this morning and finally figured it out -- my cell phone number is ABCDEFGHIJ, but vpanel showed the forwarding number as 1ABCDEEFGH. I'll send the actual number directly if it will help.

When I used "VOIPO1 FWD <explicit number>", it worked fine.

OK, so we need to look at the ME command. I'll add that to bug list.

bubbanc
02-17-2009, 10:49 AM
Any chance in allowing email messages to access the same API as the SMS control (with a PIN of course since anyone could spoof the email message). It would be nice to be able to setup a cronjob to schedule DND during certain hours. :) I know that's alot to ask for, but figured since it's the same API, it might be easy to do.

VOIPoTim
03-15-2009, 06:59 PM
Has anyone been using this more? So far no complaints on it. We can pretty easily add things to it so we're open to functionality suggestions with it.

VOIPoTim
03-15-2009, 07:00 PM
Any chance in allowing email messages to access the same API as the SMS control (with a PIN of course since anyone could spoof the email message). It would be nice to be able to setup a cronjob to schedule DND during certain hours. :) I know that's alot to ask for, but figured since it's the same API, it might be easy to do.

It would be pretty easy.

How much interest is there in a Web API like this?

bwarden
03-16-2009, 12:26 PM

I would definitely be interested in a web API.

orum
03-16-2009, 06:42 PM
It would be pretty easy.

I would really like a web service. Especially if I could add/delete call routes too. I could create a dashboard application that my family could use to control the phone settings (my route for private straight to voicemail, forwarding, etc.)

Dan

bubbanc
03-17-2009, 07:44 AM
Web API would be great. Being able to schedule my own jobs to control things such as forwarding and DND would be great.

NY Tel Guy
03-17-2009, 10:26 AM
Has anyone been using this more? So far no complaints on it. We can pretty easily add things to it so we're open to functionality suggestions with it.just tried it today for the first time and it worked like a charm. Not a bad deal since you can do it while in a meeting.

ralfaro
03-17-2009, 11:24 AM
Count me in as well for the web interface. I think that for at least those of us that have data plans, simply opening up our browser and going to a web based interface that is taylored for mobile use and changing any of several options would be easier to use, with no need to memorize the sms commands and no need for confirmation text or email messages. I'm not saying replace the sms option but having this as a choice would be awesome.

RA

hines86fan
03-18-2009, 05:19 PM
Can you add a command to toggle simul ring?

Chris N
05-21-2009, 10:09 AM
A web service would be useful for me as well. I'd like to do things like: forward calls to work at start of workday, cell when at lunch, remove forwarding at end of workday. DND activation and deactivation at certain times which vary depending on day of week. Given a web service I could set up cron jobs to perform these actions.

Another thought would be to come up with a list of all desired actions and make them controllable via whichever frontends can accept the needed parameters and returned data: web panel, web service, SMS, and telephone/voice interface.

bubbanc
05-22-2009, 12:09 PM
So whats the status of an API or Web Service? I've got to setup something to schedule DND for nap times because my wife's father is a freaking idiot and always calls at the most in opportune times.

fisamo
05-22-2009, 01:59 PM
So whats the status of an API or Web Service? I've got to setup something to schedule DND for nap times because my wife's father is a freaking idiot and always calls at the most in opportune times.

Aren't in-laws great? :p

Xponder1
06-12-2009, 04:47 PM
Can you add a command to toggle simul ring?

I would like to see this as well.

Also, how about putting the available commands in the SMS VPanel page? I know not every customer uses these forums.

varaonaid
06-19-2009, 07:59 PM
A web service would be useful for me as well. I'd like to do things like: forward calls to work at start of workday, cell when at lunch, remove forwarding at end of workday. DND activation and deactivation at certain times which vary depending on day of week. Given a web service I could set up cron jobs to perform these actions.

Another thought would be to come up with a list of all desired actions and make them controllable via whichever frontends can accept the needed parameters and returned data: web panel, web service, SMS, and telephone/voice interface.

This type of thing has been on the top of my wishlist. I'd love to see some scheduling capabilities as mentioned, esp for DND and forwarding. The idea that it changes for days of the week would be great. Even better would be if you could specify callers who were always exempt for the scheduling (ie older parents who never call at ridiculous hours unless there's an emergency ;) ).

That said, I'm really excited about the SMS feature! You don't know how many times lately I've had to navigate through the Voipo control panel from my phone to turn off/on forwarding. Love that the single SMS would do the same. (BTW, by keeping the web interface simple, it loads rather well on my phone and doesn't take forever to perform actions.)

Xponder1
06-20-2009, 06:21 PM
This type of thing has been on the top of my wishlist. I'd love to see some scheduling capabilities as mentioned, esp for DND and forwarding. The idea that it changes for days of the week would be great. Even better would be if you could specify callers who were always exempt for the scheduling (ie older parents who never call at ridiculous hours unless there's an emergency ;) ).

That said, I'm really excited about the SMS feature! You don't know how many times lately I've had to navigate through the Voipo control panel from my phone to turn off/on forwarding. Love that the single SMS would do the same. (BTW, by keeping the web interface simple, it loads rather well on my phone and doesn't take forever to perform actions.)

You can do scheduling by using the API system very ..very easily.

gls101
12-14-2009, 07:59 PM
Is SMS Control still working?

I tried (for the first time) to forward my phone to a number, and I got an error message from AT&T Wireless saying "Invalid Number. Please re-send using a valid 10 digit mobile number or valid short cut." I sent the SMS to 95495.

Should that number work with AT&T Wireless?

I'm running out of options - I need to be able to remotely enable and disable forwarding. Now that Remote Access isn't working, I hoped that I could do the same thing with SMS (even though I don't like to pay for an SMS message every time I need to make a change).

Gary Sanders

VOIPoTim
12-14-2009, 08:13 PM
What was the exact command you sent? Change your number to 123 if posting here.

gls101
12-14-2009, 09:15 PM
What was the exact command you sent? Change your number to 123 if posting here.

Hi, Tim,

Voipo1 fwd 1234567890

(Note the lack of upper case, since I couldn't find a way to create a message with all caps). Is it case sensitive?

Since my last message I've been playing with the Voipo API's, and got that working. I just created a web address with all the Forwarding parameters I needed hard-coded in, and saved that to my bookmarks in my cell phone, which has web access. I also hard-coded a FWD OFF address.

So now I can just use the API web address to turn Forwarding ON and OFF. The added benefit is I don't have to worry about SMS fees.

The only drawback is the API doesn't provide any status feedback after the command, so I'll just have to call the number afterward and see if it's properly forwarded.

Gary Sanders

hines86fan
04-21-2010, 08:04 AM
I just received a new cell phone and was recreating VOIP1 templates. I didn't have my old cell on so I had to do a little searching in the forums to find the listing (and this thread). It may be handy to 'pin' this thread; maybe there already are, I just couldn't find them.

BTW was the 86476 number ever implemented? I tried it but got back the Error Invalid Number message from ATT. Not really much of an issue as the 95495 number works just fine.

For the good of the order, I just tried some SMS messages without the VOIPO1 prepend on the 95495 number and they worked as well.

VOIPoTim
04-21-2010, 08:12 AM
95495 is the only one active. This feature doesn't really get enough use to justify doing our own SMS code (86476) at the current time ($1K+ per month).

Everything works great on it though....it's just the extra VOIPO1 prefix that has to be added.

Xponder1
04-25-2010, 10:48 PM
I just showed this to my wife and she loves it.

Xponder1
05-06-2010, 03:25 PM
I am noticing that the fail command does not seem to be working for me. fwd works fine. Could someone else test this?

caseydoug
07-27-2010, 11:53 PM
Has anyone tried this using an iPhone? My wife just got an iPhone (so I'm not familiar with the device). I registered it in the Beta/SMS Controls tab of VPanel, made sure it was toggled green, then sent "voipo1 dnd voicemail" to 95495. I used "Messages" on the iPhone, which I assume is the SMS application. Nothing happened.

I then used my cell phone (which is registered to my Add-on line) to send the same command to the same number, and it worked fine.

The only thing that was odd about the iPhone was that when I entered the number "95495," the phone converted it to "95-495." Is there some special way to enter 5-digit SMS addresses on the iPhone?

VOIPoLucas
07-28-2010, 12:38 PM
I just messed around with this a little on an iPhone 4 and things went ok, but the voicemail command wasn't recognized. When you tried it on your other cell phone, voicemail was recognized?

caseydoug
07-29-2010, 12:44 PM
I just messed around with this a little on an iPhone 4 and things went ok, but the voicemail command wasn't recognized. When you tried it on your other cell phone, voicemail was recognized?
Yes, my other cell caused the DND feature to go from "Disabled" to "Voicemail." That was with my Add-on line, not my primary line (my cell phone is registered to the Add-on line, while my wife's iPhone is registered to the primary lline).

Maybe I'll try some other commands with the iPhone -- possibly the DND to Voicemail command is broken?

caseydoug
07-29-2010, 03:36 PM
Interesting. It tested the command "voipo1 fwd me" and it worked. I then tested "voipo fwd off" and it didn't work. Morever, each time I tried "voipo fwd off" I got an SMS from mobivity.com asking me to configure my keyword.

Does VOIPo somehow use Mobivity as an SMS gateway?

Edit: I looked up Mobivity, and its short code is 95495, which is the code for this feature. I guess VOIPo uses Mobivity's API. So it looks like this is a problem at VOIPo's end.

caseydoug
07-29-2010, 05:00 PM
OK, last comment: by a combination of fat fingers and the iPhone's auto-complete, I was sending the wrong keyword (hence the reply from Mobivity) and/or the wrong command (fed instead of fwd).

However, I have confirmed that the "fwd voicemail" does not work, whereas other commands do work, even "fwd off." And as I said earlier, the command "fwd voicemail" does work when sent from a different cell phone. Go figure.

usa2k
07-29-2010, 08:30 PM
You might think you are talking to yourself,
but there is an audience, and experiences are good to share :)

ben_dash
09-23-2010, 01:46 PM
Could you add a "set the MWI light" feature to the web and/or SMS API?

I'd like to be able to remotely set my Message Waiting Indicator light.

Thanks! Ben