PDA

View Full Version : VOIPo Connect is Coming

VOIPoTim
01-20-2009, 05:49 PM
VOIPo Connect is about to go live in BETA.

Any ideas what it could be?

You guys know how much I love these guessing games...

Vumes
01-20-2009, 06:02 PM
Is that the one where we can connect to the whole world for free? :rolleyes:

On a more serious note, maybe its Voipo targeted at business'?

NY Tel Guy
01-20-2009, 06:22 PM
VOIPo Connect is about to go live in BETA.

Any ideas what it could be?

You guys know how much I love these guessing games...Remote Access - dial in and then dial out?

VOIPoTim
01-20-2009, 06:27 PM
Remote Access - dial in and then dial out?

This is one of the 3 core features in it.

NY Tel Guy
01-20-2009, 07:04 PM
This is one of the 3 core features in it.
Remote Access to:

1. Listen to VM
2. Control Features
3. Dial out to the world

Brian
01-20-2009, 07:35 PM
Some kind of custom softphone?

wjandrsn
01-20-2009, 09:48 PM
Cell phone app... Such as Iphone app.

fisamo
01-21-2009, 06:19 AM
Remote Access to:

1. Listen to VM
2. Control Features
3. Dial out to the world

That would be my guess... (and my request. :D )

Xponder1
01-22-2009, 12:28 AM
That would be my guess... (and my request. :D )

That does sound perfect which makes me think its 2/3 correct but I would guess they have something else exciting cooking.

VOIPoTim
01-25-2009, 06:56 PM
I went ahead and posted it on DSLR so here it is:

--
I probably shouldn't post this because it's still in development, but I'm going to go ahead and do so. Keep in mind this is just the current draft though so none of this is guaranteed.

We're about to launch something called VOIPo Connect which I think will address your concerns. Basically here's what we have in the works:

Dial-In Access Numbers in All Major US/Canadian Cities

Anyone will be able to call in and do the following:

1) Enter a VOIPo phone number (any number on our network including virtual) to connect to a VOIPo user

2) Enter a PIN number to connect to a VOIPo user

3) Enter a Secure Virtual Number (working on the name for this) to connect to a VOIPo user

VOIPo Residential Freedom will be able to call in and do the following:

1) Manage most features like forwarding, etc

2) Dial out via their VOIPo account (mainly meant for international)

3) Access voicemail

What's a PIN Number?

Users will be able to setup 3-9 digit PIN numbers that they can give to people to call them on via the access number instead of giving someone their real phone number. These PIN numbers can be set to expire based on the number of calls or time.

So as an example, you could create a PIN that works for the next 3 days only or that works for the next 2 calls only and give it to someone you're selling something to on Craigslist.

What's a Secure Virtual Number?

This is a virtual number that just like a PIN number can expire based on usage or time automatically. They'll be available for a small one-time fee (likely $0.99). They can be called directly as well as from the access numbers.

Again this is the prototype that's up now, but we're still tweaking it so it may change.

I don't like to announce things until they're done and fully tested, but we're pretty excited about this one.

It's one of a handful of the stuff in the pipeline right now. We just like to test things to make sure they're relatively bug-free before releasing into beta.
--

Vumes
01-25-2009, 07:02 PM
That is a great idea Tim. You guys rock. This feature will def be handy for things of that nature. As a craigslister myself, I can see how this would be a lot better, than giving some potential tweaker my number. Thanks again.

fisamo
01-25-2009, 08:15 PM
Tim,

You had to know I'd ask about this, especially given MY post on BBR... :)

[Here's the thread for those curious: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r21802062-Happy-CV-user-looking-at-VoIPO ]

Dial-In Access Numbers in All Major US/Canadian Cities

Given the purpose of this service, I presume these dial-in numbers will be well-publicized, right? At a minimum, I presume you'll post a list of them on your website or in a public access forum here. (What you'd do in addition to that minimum, I'm not sure. :D )

I'd like to add another suggestion for this aspect of the service - a toll-free access number. Voipo users would be able to set up 'chargeback codes' with similar connect and expiration capabilities so that anyone could call the tollfree number to connect with a voipo user. For these calls, a per-minute charge, similar to that of the Express offering, would apply. A separate tollfree number would be used for calls from Canada. Voipo customers could control their accounts from these tollfree numbers, as well--once they log in to access their features, you'd know who to bill for the call. This one would probably give your developers a pretty good headache regarding the billing, but it would be great for those lame areas of the country that have very limited local calling areas.

Anyone will be able to call in and do the following:

1) Enter a VOIPo phone number (any number on our network including virtual) to connect to a VOIPo user

2) Enter a PIN number to connect to a VOIPo user

How will the system know the difference between a PIN and a phone#? Less than 10 digits?

3) Enter a Secure Virtual Number (working on the name for this) to connect to a VOIPo user

Name ideas:

Disposable number
Proxy Number <-- I like this one
Shadow Number
Cover Number
Disguise Number
Masquerade Number <-- Am I getting carried away, or do you like it? :p
Veil Number

VOIPo Residential Freedom will be able to call in and do the following:

1) Manage most features like forwarding, etc

2) Dial out via their VOIPo account (mainly meant for international)

This feature is also very useful for the person who may need to make a LD call but is not able to do so easily. Such circumstances include, for example, courtesy phone at a gym, hospital, or other establishment, work phone, etc.

3) Access voicemail

What's a PIN Number?

Users will be able to setup 3-9 digit PIN numbers that they can give to people to call them on via the access number instead of giving someone their real phone number. These PIN numbers can be set to expire based on the number of calls or time.

A few questions:

Will users be able to set up an unlimited number of PINs that can be 3 - 9 digits in length, or will users be limited to three PINs, all of which are 9 digits in length?
Say I decide to use 123456789 as my PIN, along with about 1/3 of your other users. Will the system allow multiple different lines to use the same PIN? If so, how will it know which VOIPo user to connect with?
Once your PIN expires, how long until it can be re-used, or used by a different user (if PINs can't overlap)? You may have a problem with 'wrong numbers' here for that reason.

So as an example, you could create a PIN that works for the next 3 days only or that works for the next 2 calls only and give it to someone you're selling something to on Craigslist.

What's a Secure Virtual Number?

This is a virtual number that just like a PIN number can expire based on usage or time automatically. They'll be available for a small one-time fee (likely $0.99). They can be called directly as well as from the access numbers.

Again this is the prototype that's up now, but we're still tweaking it so it may change.

I don't like to announce things until they're done and fully tested, but we're pretty excited about this one.

It's one of a handful of the stuff in the pipeline right now. We just like to test things to make sure they're relatively bug-free before releasing into beta.
--
Questions for the 'secure virtual number' (SVN):

How long can a user 'tie up' a SVN? Could I just create one and set it for 999 uses and have a virtual number for a one-time $0.99 charge instead of $5/mo? (Not that I would do anything like that... :)
Say I get a SVN and use it up. How long before it becomes available for another user? You can expect quite a few 'wrong number' calls to these numbers as people call based on out-dated posts, address books, or whatever.
Do these numbers come out of a different inventory than your regular numbers, or will there be a 'pool' of numbers specified for SVN use?

Don't get me wrong--I love these ideas. I'm just hoping to think of the exploits/pitfalls before they go live so you don't have to take them back away...

Brian
01-26-2009, 03:03 PM
I think this was largely skipped over on DSLR since it was in with another thread :) I'm surprised at the lack of comments over there...

fisamo
01-26-2009, 05:05 PM
I think this was largely skipped over on DSLR since it was in with another thread :) I'm surprised at the lack of comments over there...

I'm similarly surprised that there hasn't been more comment here. :) The benefit of the silence now, though, is that when it does launch, the noise will be louder.

dtrose
02-07-2009, 11:17 PM
Any timeframe updates on rollout of VoIPo Connect?

VOIPoTim
02-07-2009, 11:22 PM
It's basically done, but just needs a few finishing touches before it's ready for testing.

It's been kind of backburnered recently while we worked through the issues with the core service.

fisamo
02-07-2009, 11:27 PM
Any timeframe updates on rollout of VoIPo Connect?

Tim's been known to surprise us, but given the issues of late, I'd give it at least a month. Were I in his shoes, I'd take any feature addition pretty slowly at this point to be sure that what's currently in place has stabilized (meaning, the 'fixes' that have been applied have actually fixed the problem without breaking anything else). Even if I were certain all was good (not sure how one could be until more days pass without 'no-registration' tickets coming in), I'd roll Connect out as a Beta feature and have it field tested before launching it.

As I said above, though, Tim's been known to surprise us. :) He also knows a lot more than I do about the patches that have been applied of late and their effects on voipo's systems.

NY Tel Guy
02-08-2009, 12:28 PM
Well for me, this will be a long awaited feature bundle that I am looking forward to. Especially since I had to get rid of my CallVantage line since my former employer was too frugal to pay for it.:rolleyes:

Brian
02-27-2009, 07:55 PM
Any progress on this?

VOIPoTim
02-27-2009, 09:51 PM
Any progress on this?

It's basically been on the backburner due to the registration issues. Once we revive it, it'll come together pretty quick.

kevinj
04-14-2009, 07:18 PM
Is there a single place where all these feature updates are posted when they are live?

You long-timers (notice I did not call you "old-timers") have the benefit of having followed along over time ...

... but us newcomers are not plugged into the current feature set ... for instance, I stumbled on the *20 - *21 toggle for call forwarding ... had I not stumbled on it, I would have thought that I needed to vPanel each toggle. This stuff is not posted on the SUPPORT page.

There are probably other features that I don't know about fully.

I am gonna have to start writing this stuff down!

Thanks.

VOIPoTim
04-14-2009, 07:19 PM
Right now all the live features are posted here: http://voipo.com/features.shtml

Vumes
04-14-2009, 07:25 PM
Hmm,

Click on a feature for more information.

That doesn't seem to work. :rolleyes:

EDIT:

Nevermind, I'm an idiot. I was hovering over it expecting my cursor to change and it didn't, so I clicked anyway and voila!

-2 for me being off today.

Russell
04-15-2009, 06:46 AM
Right now all the live features are posted here: http://voipo.com/features.shtml
I looked at that link, Tim. It lists all the features. But it does not mention the *20 - *21 toggles that kevinj mentioned. Am I not looking in the right place?

kevinj
04-15-2009, 08:00 AM
Could a forum post be created to consolidate all the "undocumented" beta stuff - without the chatter and clutter of commentary (like this! :p ) ...

It is very difficult to wade through all the forum posts for individual "guidance."

Sort of a "How to Use Voipo" post that would add detail to the feature set summaries at http://voipo.com/features.shtml.

I am a willing contributor ...

fisamo
05-05-2009, 08:06 AM
Don't quote me on this, however we should be addressing some of these back burner projects in very near future -- perhaps Tim can shed some more light on this, thanks for your continued patience guys!

(See http://forums.voipo.com/showthread.php?p=11800#post11800 )

I was never one to listen! :p Any update you're willing and able to provide on Voipo connect is most welcome! :)

Zarniwoop
05-08-2009, 03:01 PM
+1 for someone to list all the features that aren't documented, such as the *20 - *21 toggle for call forwarding.

Thanks!

VOIPoTim
05-10-2009, 01:15 PM
(See http://forums.voipo.com/showthread.php?p=11800#post11800 )

I was never one to listen! :p Any update you're willing and able to provide on Voipo connect is most welcome! :)

It was actually finished up week before last, but just needs testing/cleaning up now. I'm going to look through it over the next few days to see what we need to do to get it ready for live beta testing in terms of changes.

fisamo
05-10-2009, 07:27 PM
Two thumbs up! I look forward to seeing this go live. I'm happy to beta whenever you are ready for testers.

Russell
05-10-2009, 08:37 PM
Tim, I hope you can support *67 when dialing out? If you can, VOIPo connect will be great for my wife's volunteer work (when she uses the phone from work)

Brian
05-19-2009, 11:41 AM
So.....how's this coming? :-D

VOIPoTim
05-19-2009, 08:27 PM
Still working on it to make it more tolerant. Shouldn't be too much longer.

Russell
05-19-2009, 09:10 PM
Still working on it to make it more tolerant. Shouldn't be too much longer.

Another pitch / plea to support *67 when dialing out.

burris
05-20-2009, 04:17 AM
Hmmm!

My *67 has always worked. Just tried to call my cell with it and showed up as private.

Russell
05-20-2009, 06:40 AM
Hmmm!

My *67 has always worked. Just tried to call my cell with it and showed up as private.

Burris, I was referring to the new feature being discussed, where you can dial-in to make calls. Was wondering if *67 would work in that context. Would be great for my wife doing volunteer work (when she needs to make an occasional call from work) for an abuse organization where the volunteers need to suppress caller-id. High WAF!