PDA

View Full Version : New Device Firmware Rolled Out

VOIPoTim
01-21-2009, 02:10 PM
Within the next few hours, we will be pushing out a new device firmware update to all VOIPo customers.

This upgrade is automatic for users with devices connected in our recommended configuration.

General Information

Firmware is basically just the software built into the device that it runs on.

This new version primarily fixes a number of bugs with the device and should ultimately lead to more stable service.

It should also significantly improve call quality for users with some network setups.

Upgrade Process

This upgrade is automatic for users with devices connected in our recommended configuration.

If you use your device behind a router only (not recommended), you must manually reboot the adapter so that it gets upgraded as well.

When you reboot, it should start the upgrade within 1 minute. When your device is upgrading, both the WAN and LAN lights will be blinking simultaneously during the upgrade. Once it's done, it'll automatically reboot again and should be up and running. The entire process should take less than 5 minutes.

Problems

In 99% of cases, the device should handle this automatically and reboot after the upgrade finishes (when the lights stop blinking). If it does not and you cannot make calls after waiting 10 minutes, please reboot it manually.

If you need additional assistance, please contact support@voipo.com.

burris
01-21-2009, 02:43 PM
Tim....

If you would be so kind as to tell the some of us who may need to re-boot manually, after you've made the push, I'm sure it will be appreciated.

VOIPoTim
01-21-2009, 02:47 PM
Tim....

If you would be so kind as to tell the some of us who may need to re-boot manually, after you've made the push, I'm sure it will be appreciated.

For those rebooting manually, you can do it whenever you're ready.

burris
01-21-2009, 02:56 PM
To be sure...

Should the firmware server path still read..

firmware.voipo.com/handytone-502

and the firmware file prefix read 1.0.1.8/

VOIPoTim
01-21-2009, 03:00 PM
To be sure...

Should the firmware server path still read..

firmware.voipo.com/handytone-502

and the firmware file prefix read 1.0.1.8/

Right. When you reboot, it'll bump it up to 1.0.1.21.

burris
01-21-2009, 03:06 PM
Does the config server path need to be populated as well or are you going from the MAC? Mine hasn't moved up yet.

Is this the very same firmware update that appears on the Grandstream site and if it doesn't come down from your switch, would it be ok to download it from them?

VOIPoTim
01-21-2009, 03:08 PM
Does the config server path need to be populated as well or are you going from the MAC? Mine hasn't moved up yet.

Is this the very same firmware update that appears on the Grandstream site and if it doesn't come down from your switch, would it be ok to download it from them?

If you don't have the config server path in there, provisioning isn't enabled on your account. You could use that firmware, yes. It's the same. If you want to go the provisioning route, the best thing to do is call in for that. Either should be fine.

dtrose
01-21-2009, 03:46 PM
I'm typically behind the router. I turned off the unit, rebooted and am still at the .8 level. I them moved the ATA in front of the router for a good 10 - 15 minutes, waited (never saw L1 L2 lights solid) and then rebooted. Still on .8

Went to Grandstream site and D/L'd firmware but cannot find where to upload via the GS Web Interface unless it is under the Advanced settings for which I'm locked out.

VOIPoTim
01-21-2009, 04:13 PM
I'm typically behind the router. I turned off the unit, rebooted and am still at the .8 level. I them moved the ATA in front of the router for a good 10 - 15 minutes, waited (never saw L1 L2 lights solid) and then rebooted. Still on .8

Went to Grandstream site and D/L'd firmware but cannot find where to upload via the GS Web Interface unless it is under the Advanced settings for which I'm locked out.

Try now. It was being set up in batches. All are ready now.

NY Tel Guy
01-21-2009, 11:17 PM
Right. When you reboot, it'll bump it up to 1.0.1.21.Did it, and all is working well. It now says 1.0.1.21.

Xponder1
01-22-2009, 12:23 AM
I have been using this firmware for days and its much better than the original. However, Tim I did try hooking up the second ATA you sent me and it upgraded so I left it connected and about 36 hours later it had that audio issue (sounds like the volume jumped 300% when calls connected). I am convinced that one is just broke. I will gladly ship it back and you can return it to GS for a return. Let me know.Ticket ID: GHZ-527230

The original ATA works perfect now. I am very happy with it. Is the call waiting issue resolved that we you told me about? I have not tested it since the first night.

Thanks again.

VOIPoTim
01-22-2009, 02:14 AM
The original ATA works perfect now. I am very happy with it. Is the call waiting issue resolved that we you told me about? I have not tested it since the first night.

Thanks again.

Yeah, call waiting should work fine on this firmware. That was one of several things we had to re-work before officially rolling it out.

usa2k
01-22-2009, 05:35 AM
Did nothing to the 502 here (In front of modem)
*** then 16 confirms its a rev 21 :D

bretski
01-22-2009, 08:29 AM
Crossing my fingers that this takes care of the call problems I've been having lately...so far so good this morning. Thanks again to the engineers working late last night to help get me back up and running!

VOIPoTim
01-22-2009, 03:23 PM
For those of you who upgraded, do any of you notice an improvement in call quality?

buckethead
01-22-2009, 03:25 PM
I just tried updating via reboot and no can not keep connected or make a call. On hold for support right now.

burris
01-22-2009, 03:53 PM
For those of you who upgraded, do any of you notice an improvement in call quality?

If this was the only reason for the upgrade, I wasted my time.;)

For me, the call quality was perfect before, as was the rest of the service..

NY Tel Guy
01-22-2009, 04:29 PM
For those of you who upgraded, do any of you notice an improvement in call quality?I do notice the actual end-to-end ringback tone plays now as opposed to the simulated ringback tone that the 502 had been playing.
Call quality seemed good and had less of a "white noise" shadow on it.
What changed (basically) that would effect these appreciable differences?

scott2020
01-22-2009, 05:56 PM
I never had trouble with the audio quality of the calls. It has always been better than the POTS I had!

usa2k
01-22-2009, 06:46 PM
MWI and Stutter is looking good today with the 502!
Don't know if firmware is related to that?

Xponder1
01-22-2009, 08:55 PM
I have noticed calls complete faster. Used to have a delay of up to 5 seconds. My audio issues are gone and I am very happy with the service.

carlquist
01-23-2009, 07:27 AM
Should this update have been rolled out automatically to all VOIPo customers?

My 502 still indicates it's using 1.0.1.8 firmware. It's connected directly to the modem and with all default settings as received from VOIPo.

I'm assuming I could manually reboot my ATA but it seemed like the process should be automatic?

burris
01-23-2009, 07:30 AM
Should this update have been rolled out automatically to all VOIPo customers?

My 502 still indicates it's using 1.0.1.8 firmware. It's connected directly to the modem and with all default settings as received from VOIPo.

I'm assuming I could manually reboot my ATA but it seemed like the process should be automatic?

Why not try to reboot and see what happens.

Typically, it would reboot itself after the push, but computers are evil.;)

ralfaro
01-23-2009, 10:38 AM
I got the upgrade but my call quality was already excellent which was one of the main reasons I signed up with Voipo to begin with. I did not notice any difference but it is hard to improve on excellence. Wish my response was more constructive, but call quality was already an A+ for me.

RA

dbmaven
01-23-2009, 11:36 AM
Looks like I stumbled onto the update while doing my 'in front of/behind router tests' on Wednesday - checked vPanel and already at .21 - here I was thinking that I'd need to manually reboot. :D

As others have said, call quality was already superb - hard to improve on that from my perspective.