PDA

View Full Version : Now Shipping PAP2T Devices Temporarily

VOIPoTim
01-31-2009, 04:49 PM
Due to the Chinese New Year, there is currently a Grandstream shortage.

At this point, no distributor in the country has HT502s that we know of including all the wholesalers and even the retailers like VoIPSupply are out.

Apparently nearly everything in China closes down for 2 weeks or so and exports are running weeks behind in customs.

Right now no new GS units are expected to arrive until mid February.

We had expected to have enough inventory to get through that, but we've seen order volume constantly around 7-10X our launch order volume every single day since last weekend. The bulk of these customers are coming from Voicewing. We have completely depleted our supply of HT502s.

We've been in the process of purchasing 3300 from a company going out of business and went ahead and completed that transaction only to have them get held by Canadian customs because the seller did not properly do the paperwork. They were supposed to arrive Friday, but did not.

With that being said, we don't have a lot of other options for HT502s at this point. We've ordered a shipment of Linksys PAP2T-NAs this week and will be shipping those until the Grandstream supply chain catches up.

Generally we ship next day. Some orders from mid-last week have not shipped yet, but the PAP2Ts will be here Monday and all pending orders will ship.

We don't expect any issues with the devices and they are fully provisioned in the same way. As a matter of fact, a lot of users seem to prefer the PAP2Ts anyway.

If anyone has any questions about this, please let us know.

KenH
01-31-2009, 05:21 PM
Tim,

Is there a trade-in program for the 502's? (grin)

Ken

NY Tel Guy
01-31-2009, 05:56 PM
Tim,

Is there a trade-in program for the 502's? (grin)

KenThe sound quality on the 502 is better in my opinion.

dcshobby
01-31-2009, 06:40 PM
Tim,

I have a question. I thought when you chose the grandstream units, you guys chose them because they worked better than the Linksys PAP2 units. Are these going to be an issue for new customers as I thought you wanted all hardware to be the same to prevent support issues that may arise with just some new customers have the Linksys and everyone else having the Grandstreams.

Just wondering why you decided to throw another hardware vendor into the mix. Just twice as much work for you and the engineers and support staff one would think.

VOIPoTim
01-31-2009, 06:45 PM
Tim,

I have a question. I thought when you chose the grandstream units, you guys chose them because they worked better than the Linksys PAP2 units. Are these going to be an issue for new customers as I thought you wanted all hardware to be the same to prevent support issues that may arise with just some new customers have the Linksys and everyone else having the Grandstreams.

Just wondering why you decided to throw another hardware vendor into the mix. Just twice as much work for you and the engineers and support staff one would think.

Well we wanted to keep everything the same, yes. Ultimately we just don't have a choice though. Right now we won't be able to get any Grandstream units for over 2 weeks. So our only option was to get something else or cancel the thousands of orders we'll get between now and then because people won't wait 2 weeks for shipping.

The biggest advantage of the 502 over the Linksys unit is the fact that it has a built-in router. So that's a little kink in the mix, but we'll provide an alternative in situations where the customer does not currently have a router.

We also have some other reasons for wanting to integrate the PAP2 into everything in that certain other providers with financial challenges use it, so in the event that something were to happen, we'll be prepared to service users with the PAP2 as well as the 502 if users want to keep their existing devices and have them added to our provisioning. We've been planning on that for a while and had no intention of shipping them out normally, but in this case we need to.

Another thing we've noticed is that for certain network setups, different ATAs work better. As an example, we had many users who had perfect service with the 286 and then when they swapped for a 502 (most wanted the cloned line), they started having issues. Don't get me wrong, the 502 works extremely well, but in some cases (like with 2Wire modems), I think the devices without a built in router work a little better. This will give us some options support wise and may even structure ordering to have users identify their network setup/preferences to get the best fit ATA wise (PAPT2 for some setups, HT502 for most).

Montano
01-31-2009, 06:59 PM
Tim, can those of us with PAP2T's get them provisioned through Voipo ?

VOIPoTim
01-31-2009, 07:52 PM
Tim, can those of us with PAP2T's get them provisioned through Voipo ?

Yeah you'll be able to next week. The provisioning system will support both devices.

Brian
01-31-2009, 10:37 PM
What about the issues we've seen with calls dropping at 30 minutes? Is that something that's been addressed?

VOIPoTim
01-31-2009, 10:46 PM
What about the issues we've seen with calls dropping at 30 minutes? Is that something that's been addressed?

With the session timers? If so, that's taken care of, yeah.

Montano
02-01-2009, 12:35 PM
Will they remain unlocked if we provision them with Voipo ?

dvijen
02-02-2009, 11:31 AM

voipinit
02-05-2009, 08:32 AM
Have u tried the voipstore?

http://www.888voipstore.com/grandstream-handytone-502-pr-18550.html

Danzo
02-06-2009, 11:50 PM
Hi Tim, I have been using PAP2T device for a year and feel comfortable using it. Also used it with VOIPO before I got my GS502.
I was wondering if it is posiible to get PAP2T in place of GS, I don't need the router part in GS and PAP2T has been proven to me for last one year.
Your comments will be highly appreciated.
Thanks
dvijen

I will trade you any time of the day for your 502. I really enjoyed Phonepower on my 502 over the PAP2T. I have multiple routers and never had problems with my 502 on the front end of my network. Today I received the replacement for my 286 and it was a PAP2T and that is why I came back to the forom to read this posting and see what was happening.
Cheers,
Dan

Xponder1
02-07-2009, 09:10 AM
I will trade you any time of the day for your 502. I really enjoyed Phonepower on my 502 over the PAP2T. I have multiple routers and never had problems with my 502 on the front end of my network. Today I received the replacement for my 286 and it was a PAP2T and that is why I came back to the forom to read this posting and see what was happening.
Cheers,
Dan

What do you mean by phone power? Why would you prefer the 502? Have you had any outages with the PAP2T?

usa2k
02-07-2009, 01:38 PM
What do you mean by phone power? Why would you prefer the 502? Have you had any outages with the PAP2T?
http://www.phonepower.com/services/voip/voiphome.aspx

Xponder1
02-07-2009, 07:20 PM
http://www.phonepower.com/services/voip/voiphome.aspx

Forgive me I am a newb lol.:p

Actually I had Vonage for a couple of years and I have worked with Asterisk in the past. Some partners and I almost started our own VOIP business. I am happy with VOIPo. Never messed with any other VOIP business.

Brian
02-12-2009, 08:15 PM
Will they remain unlocked if we provision them with Voipo ?

Did we get an answer on this?

Montano
02-12-2009, 08:18 PM
No answer that I'm aware of.

VOIPoTim
02-13-2009, 09:23 AM
We looked at a few different scenarios, but decided for the time being to keep BYOD and provisioning completely isolated just so there's no confusion. So in that case, we're only going to be provisioning our provided devices from here on out.

Brian
02-13-2009, 09:26 AM
We looked at a few different scenarios, but decided for the time being to keep BYOD and provisioning completely isolated just so there's no confusion. So in that case, we're only going to be provisioning our provided devices from here on out.

Fair enough. Thanks.

bill875
02-18-2009, 12:31 PM
The shipment of PAP2Ts must have ended as I just received what looks like a used or well tested??? Grandstream HT502. I was looking forward to a PAP2T to keep everything Linksys. Oh well :(

VOIPoTim
02-18-2009, 01:08 PM
We're currently shipping both rotating inventory since we're getting Grandstreams in now consistently as well.

NY Tel Guy
02-18-2009, 02:00 PM
The shipment of PAP2Ts must have ended as I just received what looks like a used or well tested??? Grandstream HT502. I was looking forward to a PAP2T to keep everything Linksys. Oh well :(
Hey don't knock it. The GS is a sweet little device and has great sound quality.;)

bill875
02-21-2009, 01:26 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. In comparison to the D-Link from AT&T CallVantage, I will say that the HT502 does indeed sound very good. Also, I haven't had to forward any ports whatsoever and it is just getting handed any old IP via DHCP from my WRT150N (running DD-WRT). I didn't think it would literally be Plug-n-play. I'm loving it so far.

kevm
02-21-2009, 07:43 AM
It does have great sound quality for sure. I am moving from ATTCV and do notice a difference. However, I am still less than pleased overall after several weeks. I am in the middle of a port for one number, and if things straighten out I will port a second line and pre pay for a year assuming I can get a deal. I am also contemplating extending both lines for 2 years if I get the second. I am thinking of moving the 502 behind my D link router. I have been running it up front. Any thoughts on that?
I do not like the vpanel and the features that do not work consistently, but I do like that Tim seems to have the best service team out there and I am sure it will straighten out over time.

voipinit
02-22-2009, 06:25 PM
My GS went unregistered today as well after being rock solid for several weeks. Oh well, rebooted and back to normal.

Xponder1
02-22-2009, 08:18 PM
Just submitted a ticket this afternoon... POS Grandstream adapter was unregistered (again), and calls were rolling to the failover number. Requested a Linksys PAP2T unit be sent out ASAP.

Dan

I doubt there was anything wrong with your ATA. Same goes for voipinit. The 502 has better audio quality from what I have read. I received this email tonight.

Earlier today, we discovered and corrected a significant DNS error which could have been causing delays in the connection time for your devices. We believe that this is potentially the root cause of some Grandstream devices losing their connection to our network periodically.

After this is fully confirmed to be the root cause, we will post more specific information at forums.voipo.com for those of you that are interested.

If you have a Grandstream adapter, please reboot it at this time so it can re-establish a connection to our network. To do this, simply unplug the power cord from it for a few seconds and then plug it back in.

We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience with this rather persistent issue.

If you need assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

-The VOIPo Team

They found the problem and fixed it on their end. My 502 is working fine.

VOIPoTim
02-22-2009, 08:21 PM
I doubt there was anything wrong with your ATA. Same goes for voipinit. The 502 has better audio quality from what I have read. I received this email tonight.

They found the problem and fixed it on their end. My 502 is working fine.

Hopefully fixed. Not 100%, but it seems highly likely at this point.