PDA

View Full Version : VOIPo --> other VoIP networks...issues?

bretski
02-03-2009, 01:37 PM
Something I've noticed lately: when calling 800 customer service numbers, a lot of times I experience call quality issues. It's my guess that many of theses call centers utilize VoIP in one form or another. As an example, I needed to call Xcel Energy this morning to get a billing issue resolved. When prompted to enter a digit (for a menu option), the tone will not be accepted. Also got lots of audio dropouts. When I finally got connected to a CS rep, I could hear him, but he couldn't hear me. Ended up having to call from my cell.

Another example: called an airline company today to confirm a reservation. Menu prompts would not register. Voice quality was ok in this case, after just waiting for the menu system to give up, a la rotary-phone style. All of this is on a Uniden phone, FWIW.

Anyone else seeing...er...hearing, this?

sr98user
02-03-2009, 03:18 PM
I had issues with DTMF tones for 866 numbers about a week back. But 800 and 877 numbers were working fine. I think Brandon fixed the problem by changing the route for the 866 numbers. Now DTMF tones are working if I enter slowly. But if it goes from the phone memory it is hit or miss.

I had another thread regarding audio going for less than second every few minutes are so. Coming to think about it again, it happens only on 866 numbers for me. They changed my SIP server but I think I still see the same problem.

But I do not have one way audio problem.

bretski
02-03-2009, 03:31 PM
Interesting...thanks for the input. I'll test some more 800, 866, 877 numbers. I just tried calling Xcel Energy (800) again, and call quality was clear, tones worked fine. I am obviously making a presumption that Xcel uses a VoIP system...VoIP network incompatibility/latency is just a hypothesis on my part.