PDA

View Full Version : No devices registered in Vpanel

Pages : [1] 2

Xponder1
02-06-2009, 08:49 AM
I thought this issue was resolved. I personally had not had the problem until today. My wife tried calling from two different numbers and one said the call was rejected (and the number is on my white list) and the other just got a busy signal. I tried calling with my cell and its just a busy signal.

That being the case shouldn't the calls be forwarded to my fail over number if the system has no devices registered because the fail over is not working.

Thanks,

About to reboot my ATA and submitted a ticket [#WHX-995776]:

Xponder1
02-06-2009, 08:54 AM
Rebooted by unplugging the ATA and still no devices registered.
I logged in the ATA and I can see the changes mentioned the other night
were applied to my ATA. Register Expiration: 1

Also, it is vital that if the system does not have a device registered that the calls go to the fail over number. I am just getting a busy signal.

christcorp
02-06-2009, 09:02 AM
In the vpanel, I assume you have the failover setup. Question; are you calling FROM the failover? I.e. Is the failover set up to go to your cell, and you're calling FROM your cell. Some cell companies have problems with this. later... mike....

carlquist
02-06-2009, 09:05 AM
Same here. No devices registered in vPanel. My 502 indicates not registered. A reboot of the ATA does not correct problem.

I also have failover set to a phone number. However all callers get a fast busy - no failover. Isn't the point of failover for just this situation?

I could tolerate these registration issues a lot easier if failover worked properly and I could be assured no calls were missed.

Xponder1
02-06-2009, 09:07 AM
In the vpanel, I assume you have the failover setup. Question; are you calling FROM the failover? I.e. Is the failover set up to go to your cell, and you're calling FROM your cell. Some cell companies have problems with this. later... mike....

The fail over number is a AT&T land line. I have been testing with my cell phone. Fail over used to work fine. I confirmed its still setup in Vpanel. Still no devices registered in Vpanel.

Xponder1
02-06-2009, 09:09 AM
Same here. No devices registered in vPanel. My 502 indicates not registered. A reboot of the ATA does not correct problem.

I also have failover set to a phone number. However all callers get a fast busy - no failover. Isn't the point of failover for just this situation?

I could tolerate these registration issues a lot easier if failover worked properly and I could be assured no calls were missed.

I agree this would not be much of a issue if fail over was working.

Xponder1
02-06-2009, 09:15 AM
Safe to assume they are aware now.

Support: Hey Chris, having trouble getting your device to register?
Chris : http://forums.voipo.com/showthread.php?p=9049&posted=1#post9049
Chris : yes
Chris : and fail over is not working
Chris : same for at least one other person
Support: Oh goodness, same for several more as well
Support: Looks like an outage.
Chris : well at least I do not feel like I am alone anymore
Chris : Is there anything you need me to do or is it safe to assume your working on it lol
Support: absolutely, Let me track this down and I'll send out a mass email once we figure out the issue.
Chris : thanks
Chris : have a great day

Xponder1
02-06-2009, 09:17 AM
Just checked my call history seems it was fine at 6:30AM CST when my wife called to let me know she made it to work.

KenH
02-06-2009, 09:26 AM
I'm unregistered again - both in vPanel & HT502.

Xponder1
02-06-2009, 09:40 AM
I'm unregistered again - both in vPanel & HT502.

They are working on it.;) I just checked and my devices are listed again and I can call in and out.

KenH
02-06-2009, 09:49 AM
My HT502 has registered. No reboot required.

Xponder1
02-06-2009, 09:56 AM
My HT502 has registered. No reboot required.

Ya I just got a email from support saying to reboot the device but its already working. Probably because they have them set to reregister ever minute lol.

serialportme
02-06-2009, 10:23 AM
Working now, but not earlier.

Failover failure is a huge problem for me...

VOIPoTim
02-06-2009, 10:52 AM
http://forums.voipo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24

KenH
02-06-2009, 10:56 AM
Not sure where the failover data is stored. Is it possible that even that data was unaccessible during the outage, causing the loss of the failover feature?

scott2020
02-06-2009, 12:16 PM
My 502 showed registered but nothing in vpanel. Inbound calls went to "The number you have dialed has been disconnected" instead of failover. Rebooting fixed all, but like others if failover is not working I'm in trouble.

KenH
02-06-2009, 12:19 PM
Only port 2 is registered now and, of course my phone is connected to port 1. What's going on?

VOIPoTim
02-06-2009, 12:39 PM
Only port 2 is registered now and, of course my phone is connected to port 1. What's going on?

If you didn't reboot after the outage, you may need to.

voxabox
02-06-2009, 03:15 PM
If you didn't reboot after the outage, you may need to.
uhm, why the HT-502 did not keep on retrying (SIP registration) after failing to to do?
even if it is a bug, the ATA should try to register again at regular interval (reg. interval, specified in the ATA config.)

VOIPoTim
02-06-2009, 03:18 PM
uhm, why the HT-502 did not keep on retrying (SIP registration) after failing to to do?
even if it is a bug, the ATA should try to register again at regular interval (reg. interval, specified in the ATA config.)

We've been asking Grandstream the same question for the last few weeks. They seem to be very hit and miss with re-registering on their own if there is any kind of service interruption (even a few seconds).

They are "aware of the issue" and "hope to fix it in the next firmware".

We're still pressing for a better answer than that.

KenH
02-06-2009, 03:45 PM
Tim,

Will you exchange my HT502 for a PAP2?

Ken

VOIPoTim
02-06-2009, 03:53 PM
Tim,

Will you exchange my HT502 for a PAP2?

Ken

I'll contact you via PM about it.

chpalmer
02-06-2009, 06:04 PM
We've been asking Grandstream the same question for the last few weeks. They seem to be very hit and miss with re-registering on their own if there is any kind of service interruption (even a few seconds).

They are "aware of the issue" and "hope to fix it in the next firmware".

We're still pressing for a better answer than that.

This is a problem with the Zoom 5822 also apparently. (I use it on my Freeswitch server)

VOIPoTim
02-06-2009, 06:35 PM
This is a problem with the Zoom 5822 also apparently. (I use it on my Freeswitch server)

Yeah, the PAP2 is definitely more resilient.

quattrohead
02-06-2009, 07:48 PM
Perhaps is good that the 502's are difficult to come by ATM !!!!

Xponder1
02-06-2009, 07:59 PM
It is my understanding that the reason the 502 was the device of choice was for its built in router. I do not know about others experience with the built in router but I found it to be very lacking and my internet speed was poor (I mean like more than half the speed) with that thing in front of my Linksys. I am sure cost works in there too.

Personally, I would rather pay more of a activation fee (fee for the ATA lol) and have a better performing device with less problems then a less expensive device that has issues. Most people should have a router anyway. Reliability is important (fail over numbers working is very important too ;) ).

I know VOIPo is on top of tech issues as soon as they happen and work quickly to resolve them but it does not sound like Grandstream is on the same page as VOIPo. They seem to have more of a "we will get to it when we get to it" attitude.

Just my thoughts your mileage may vary.

Thanks,

scott2020
02-06-2009, 08:46 PM
If someone wanted to buy a PAP2 and not exchange the Grandstream, are there some still for sale? I seem to remember awhile back there was the chance to purchase one.
Scott

Xponder1
02-06-2009, 09:08 PM
If someone wanted to buy a PAP2 and not exchange the Grandstream, are there some still for sale? I seem to remember awhile back there was the chance to purchase one.
Scott

http://www.ipphone-warehouse.com/VoIP-ATA-Adapters-s/236.htm

I found that with a google search. Have no idea if they are legit but it says they have 200+ of the 502's and they sell the PAP2 for almost the same price.

LOL says they have 202 BOXES of 32 for sale Our Price: $1,375.99

VOIPoTim
02-06-2009, 09:23 PM
http://www.ipphone-warehouse.com/VoIP-ATA-Adapters-s/236.htm

I found that with a google search. Have no idea if they are legit but it says they have 200+ of the 502's and they sell the PAP2 for almost the same price.

LOL says they have 202 BOXES of 32 for sale Our Price: $1,375.99

Yeah, but call them ;) I already called everyone on Google a week or so ago and remember seeing that one and getting excited.

Xponder1
02-06-2009, 09:47 PM
Yeah, but call them ;) I already called everyone on Google a week or so ago and remember seeing that one and getting excited.

I would take your word for it lol. I trust you Tim.

Xponder1
02-06-2009, 10:09 PM
Linksys PAP2T - PAP2T-NA (Unlocked) (http://www.ipphone-warehouse.com/Linksys-PAP2T-NA-2-Port-VoIP-FXS-ATA-Unlocked-p/pap2t.htm)

Is this the other device everyone is talking about?

scott2020
02-06-2009, 10:14 PM
Linksys PAP2T - PAP2T-NA (Unlocked) (http://www.ipphone-warehouse.com/Linksys-PAP2T-NA-2-Port-VoIP-FXS-ATA-Unlocked-p/pap2t.htm)

Is this the other device everyone is talking about?

I looked up the post Tim made back a couple months ago or so, when they were doing the office cleanup sale. The link still works, and he was clearing them out for $25, but I was wondering if that was long over. I am guessing Tim had to use them up by now! If not, I'd like to grab one up. I should have jumped when I had the chance!

Xponder1
02-06-2009, 10:17 PM
I looked up the post Tim made back a couple months ago or so, when they were doing the office cleanup sale. The link still works, and he was clearing them out for $25, but I was wondering if that was long over. I am guessing Tim had to use them up by now! If not, I'd like to grab one up. I should have jumped when I had the chance!

That is half the retail price if its the same one I looked up.

Xponder1
02-07-2009, 08:59 AM
I do not know if this is a "known issue" but again this morning 2-7-09 when my wife tried to call she had a problem. Would have been about 6:30am CST. It said my line was disconnected. Did not go to fail over but instead gave her a message saying my line is disconnected.

When I woke up at 7:30 and had not heard from her I tried calling out and it was fine. Call logs for today show my one call out. I assumed she just forgot to call. She just called from work and told me about the problem and I wanted you to know. Seems its ok now.

I know some others here have devices that show disconnects so perhaps they can post if theirs was not working during that time and how long it was out.

Thanks,

eagle 1
02-07-2009, 10:27 AM
My device also show unregistered and no devices on vPanel. Had to Reboot to get devices registered. They were working around 8 am est, and then i checked aroung 11:20 am est and they were not registered. Rebooted Ht502 and everything back

Also on Fxs Port 1 it show YES on UnRegister on Reboot, but Fxs Port 2 shows NO on Unregister on Reboot

Update:: 11:40 am est
I guess I spoke too soon, they are fluctuating between registered and not registered..it looks to be re-registering every minute...Sometimes successfully and sometimes not! Sometimes only 1 port gets registered

Xponder1
02-07-2009, 10:57 AM
My device also show unregistered and no devices on vPanel. Had to Reboot to get devices registered. They were working around 8 am est, and then i checked aroung 11:20 am est and they were not registered. Rebooted Ht502 and everything back

Also on Fxs Port 1 it show YES on UnRegister on Reboot, but Fxs Port 2 shows NO on Unregister on Reboot

I guess I spoke too soon, they are fluctuating between registered and not registered..it looks to be re-registering every minutes...Sometimes successfully and sometimes not! Sometimes only 1 port gets registered

That makes since actually they have them set to reregister every minute as a fix for some bug.

Xponder1
02-07-2009, 11:01 AM
Seems support is looking in to it now. I just got a reply to my ticket.

eagle 1
02-07-2009, 11:04 AM

I guess I spoke too soon, they are fluctuating between registered and not registered..it looks to be re-registering every minute...Sometimes successfully and sometimes not! Sometimes only 1 port gets registered

Just seems odd that the two ports are set different for UnRegistering

Another Update:

And calls are going directly to VoiceMail...My Trial does not seem to be working very favorably this week! I am glad I didn't use my main line to switch over, my wife would have killed me.

burris
02-07-2009, 11:07 AM
Just seems odd that the two ports are set different for UnRegistering

I think it was that way when the clone feature came about, but now they are both set to unregister...via provisioning..

Montano
02-07-2009, 11:42 AM
My PAP2T was also down this morning. A reboot, and change of servers got it working again. It seems every time I get comfortable and change from central02 back to sip, I wake up to a non-registered TA. When I left it on central02, it remained registered.

burris
02-07-2009, 11:47 AM
My PAP2T was also down this morning. A reboot, and change of servers got it working again. It seems every time I get comfortable and change from central02 back to sip, I wake up to a non-registered TA. When I left it on central02, it remained registered.

Same here...not a single problem on Central02...I kept thinking I should go back to Sip, but Tim said that Central was in full service and it wasn't necessary. In fact , provisioning keeps me on central.
If nothing changes, I'm fine..

VOIPoTim
02-07-2009, 12:21 PM

Since it was BYOD, you may need to manually apply one of the fixes that was pushed out through provisioning. Set the re-registration interval to 1 minute.

VOIPoTim
02-07-2009, 12:25 PM
Xponder1 and Eagle 1, did you reboot after the outage Friday or did you let the devices come back up on their own?

Can both of you PM me your ticket numbers so I can keep up?

VOIPoTim
02-07-2009, 12:29 PM
Same here...not a single problem on Central02...I kept thinking I should go back to Sip, but Tim said that Central was in full service and it wasn't necessary. In fact , provisioning keeps me on central.
If nothing changes, I'm fine..

Burris, were you down this morning or just mean you've had better luck with central02?

VOIPoTim
02-07-2009, 12:33 PM
So far, we've had 2 registration tickets today (so I'm hoping they were from the two who posted here).

With 1 of them, it showed the ATA had not been provisioned since the 5th, so in that case you probably didn't get the fixed applied.

With the other provisioning wasn't enabled at all for some reason (we didn't have their MAC in the system), so they didn't get the fix.

burris
02-07-2009, 12:49 PM
Burris, were you down this morning or just mean you've had better luck with central02?

I have no problems..If you remember a while back, I thought that central was a temp server and wanted to change back to sip..You said not to bother as central was fully up and running. I mentioned that provisioning is keeping me on central and all is well.

Thanks

chpalmer
02-07-2009, 01:00 PM
I have no problems..If you remember a while back, I thought that central was a temp server and wanted to change back to sip..You said not to bother as central was fully up and running. I mentioned that provisioning is keeping me on central and all is well.

Thanks

While Im on byod at the present time till I get this project done... Central01 has been rock solid for me. The outage Friday morning did show up in the logs but other than that... Audio sounds as good as my qwest line ever did.

edit- to "Friday"
:)

ralfaro
02-07-2009, 01:27 PM
I hate to pile up on you guys, but I have been having the same issues and I am assuming it is the same problem. Last night between 6 and 7 pm I received 2 calls on my failover number, so I am assuming the ata had become unregistered. Shortly after 7:15 or so, it started working again. I opened a ticket on this. Now, this afternoon, another call went to my failover, in fact it was from another Voipo number and shortly thereafter it was working again. I have rebooted that AATA 2 or 3 times since yesterday thinking there was some sort of config push I hadn't gotten, but this seems to be an on-going issue. Thankfully, my failover seems to be working fine so I can deal with it, but I'm hoping someone gets a handle on this soon. So far I have turned several people onto Voipo and they have signed up, but I don't dare do this now until this problem gets solved for good. I know you guys are trying hard to get to the bottom of it, so I wait patiently, knowing that you will indeed solve this soon.

RA

VOIPoTim
02-07-2009, 01:37 PM
I hate to pile up on you guys, but I have been having the same issues and I am assuming it is the same problem. Last night between 6 and 7 pm I received 2 calls on my failover number, so I am assuming the ata had become unregistered. Shortly after 7:15 or so, it started working again. I opened a ticket on this. Now, this afternoon, another call went to my failover, in fact it was from another Voipo number and shortly thereafter it was working again. I have rebooted that AATA 2 or 3 times since yesterday thinking there was some sort of config push I hadn't gotten, but this seems to be an on-going issue. Thankfully, my failover seems to be working fine so I can deal with it, but I'm hoping someone gets a handle on this soon. So far I have turned several people onto Voipo and they have signed up, but I don't dare do this now until this problem gets solved for good. I know you guys are trying hard to get to the bottom of it, so I wait patiently, knowing that you will indeed solve this soon.

RA

Can you open a ticket so we'll have that and can work with you there?

This could be back, but we've only had 3 reports of any issues now and usually we'd have hundreds, so it may still be isolated.

ralfaro
02-07-2009, 02:31 PM
Tim, I did open a ticket on last night's issue and got a reply from Justin stating they were looking into it. I didn't open another ticket on this afternoon's issue because it was basically the same thing as last night. The ticket number is [RSQ-524455.

I am about to open another one though regarding voice mail. Even though I have auto-login checked under voice mail options, the system is prompting me for my password. I rebooted, but still the same thing.

RA

VOIPoTim
02-07-2009, 02:48 PM
Tim, I did open a ticket on last night's issue and got a reply from Justin stating they were looking into it. I didn't open another ticket on this afternoon's issue because it was basically the same thing as last night. The ticket number is [RSQ-524455.

I am about to open another one though regarding voice mail. Even though I have auto-login checked under voice mail options, the system is prompting me for my password. I rebooted, but still the same thing.

RA

Rick,

I'll take a look at that ticket and we'll see what we can do for you to get you situated.

In terms of the auto login, I just made a post about it: http://forums.voipo.com/showthread.php?p=9114#post9114

christcorp
02-07-2009, 06:28 PM
For what it's worth: Tim, I and Justin (VoipOJustin); worked back and forth on my Grandstream in the beginning in the week when it had all the same problems. No registration, dropping registration, etc... We changed the registration to 1 minute; changed to Central02 server; downgraded the firmware to .15. I have not had one problem sense then. There are 2 MINOR problems, but they are server related and not that important.

1) The grandstream shows BOTH PORTS registered. BOTH PORTS work. I can be on a call on PORT 1; and make another call on the clone in PORT 2. ALL IS GOOD. However; in the Vpanel; ONLY 1 device shows up as registered. Again, this is not really a problem. But I did know that prior; on the sip.voipwelcom.com server, I would see 2 registrations under device in the vpanel. Maybe it's a sip.voipwelcome.com thing; maybe the firmware; I don't know. It's not a big issue.

2) The VoipO servers are having a difficult time CALLING EACH OTHER. I.e. I have my beta line on Jupiter server and my Primary line on Central02 server. If I can FROM juptier to Central02, it rings my failover line. If I call FROM Central02 to the Jupiter, it goes to Voice Mail. This WAS an issue a time back. Maybe it is something that was never really addressed being it's not that common to talk to other voipo numbers; let alone one on a different server. I'm PRETTY SURE that if BOTH are on the same server; e.g. Beta and Primary both on Central02; then they can call each other. When I was using sip.voipwelcome.com on BOTH lines, it was fine. Again; not a problem.

Anyway; just wanted to say that things have been working fine on the grandstream and the current settings. Maybe it's the 1 minute registration. Maybe it's the downgraded firmware to .15. Maybe it's useing the central02 server. Maybe it's a combination. Tim and Justin know they can use my lines to experiment with if needed. Any time day time hours Mon-Fri. And we can work more together any night or on weekends. But current configuration is stable and a good bench mark for any one that needs the info. My BYOD (Beta line on Linksys) never had issues on any of the servers. Even when I moved my primary to it prior to fixing the grandstream issues. Great job Justin and Tim. You guys have a very high work ethic. As does all the voipo employees. Later... Mike.....

Xponder1
02-07-2009, 06:55 PM
So far, we've had 2 registration tickets today (so I'm hoping they were from the two who posted here).

With 1 of them, it showed the ATA had not been provisioned since the 5th, so in that case you probably didn't get the fixed applied.

With the other provisioning wasn't enabled at all for some reason (we didn't have their MAC in the system), so they didn't get the fix.

Well I sent you my info so please let me know which of the two are me lol :p
Would of replied sooner but as I had to work today. I am off the next couple of days.

Update I just checked and the ATA shows both ports registered but Vpanel only shows one.
Both ports are working. (Reminds me of the "B" test we did). UPDATE logged in with the admin password and it is the B config we tested.

Product Model: HT-502 V1.1B
Software Version: Program-- 1.0.1.21 Bootloader-- 1.0.0.9 Core-- 1.0.0.25 Base-- 1.0.0.76
System Up Time: 19:09:09 up 2:23
PPPoE Link Up: Disabled
NAT: Symmetric NAT

eagle 1
02-07-2009, 08:28 PM

For what its worth, I moved my device back behind my firewall and its a little better. I also noticed that that Ip was getting hammered by three different Ip addresses (Thousands of times per hour).

I set the firewall to only allow the specific ports and Ipaddress specified by support and it seems better.

the offending ip's were:

Name: pbx-vancouver1.mdci.ca
Address: 204.209.14.50

Name: s0106001ee5355afc.ss.shawcable.net
Address: 70.64.23.199

Name: 209-20-73-234.slicehost.net
Address: 209.20.73.234

VOIPoTim
02-07-2009, 09:02 PM
For what its worth, I moved my device back behind my firewall and its a little better. I also noticed that that Ip was getting hammered by three different Ip addresses (Thousands of times per hour).

I set the firewall to only allow the specific ports and Ipaddress specified by support and it seems better.

the offending ip's were:

Yeah none of those IPs are related to us so definitely block them.

Xponder1
02-07-2009, 09:43 PM

the offending ip's were:

http://www.iptools.com/dnstools.php?tool=ipwhois&user_data=209.20.73.234&submit=Go

http://70.64.23.199/ error seems to indicate its a open proxy
http://www.iptools.com/dnstools.php?tool=ipwhois&user_data=70.64.23.199&submit=Go

http://209.20.73.234/ Looks like the first one
http://www.iptools.com/dnstools.php?tool=ipwhois&user_data=209.20.73.234&submit=Go

Could always contact them and ask them nicely to leave your ip alone.

sr98user
02-11-2009, 05:47 AM
Just checked at 6.30am and ATA shows I am registered. But vPanel does not show any devices. Incoming going to network down number.

NAT table shows no entries for the adapter. I have a feeling that the adapter is not sending the keep-alive or re-registration request.

Rebooted my adapter and everything is back to normal.

VOIPoTim
02-11-2009, 07:59 AM
Just checked at 6.30am and ATA shows I am registered. But vPanel does not show any devices. Incoming going to network down number.

NAT table shows no entries for the adapter. I have a feeling that the adapter is not sending the keep-alive or re-registration request.

Rebooted my adapter and everything is back to normal.

So far not very many reports of this and things look normal.

One thing we have seen before though is if the device is behind a router the internal DHCP IP changes and it doesn't like that.

Do you have it setup with a dynamic IP by chance?

sr98user
02-11-2009, 08:20 AM
So far not very many reports of this and things look normal.

One thing we have seen before though is if the device is behind a router the internal DHCP IP changes and it doesn't like that.

Do you have it setup with a dynamic IP by chance?

Yes. And I was able to access the ATA configuration pages and it said it was registered. So it does have an IP.

scott2020
02-11-2009, 10:49 AM
I can't receive inbound calls or make outbound calls. Opened a ticket.

Inbound calls ring, but can't be answered. When it goes to voicemail, it drops the call.

Outbound calls just fast busy.

Scott

VOIPoTim
02-11-2009, 11:12 AM
I can't receive inbound calls or make outbound calls. Opened a ticket.

Inbound calls ring, but can't be answered. When it goes to voicemail, it drops the call.

Outbound calls just fast busy.

Scott

That sounds more like an audio issue. If it's ringing, you're registered, etc.

If you have a few mins, can you call in since that's likely easier to diagnose via phone?

scott2020
02-11-2009, 11:17 AM
Will do.

I have to conference in my wife probably when she gets back.

When she calls out, gets only fast busy. When I call her from work, the phone rings but when she picks up the phone, she gets silence, a click, then a fast busy. I eventually go to voicemail, but me being the caller I never hear her pick up, it just rings until it goes to voicemail.

CrownSeven
02-12-2009, 12:31 AM
I had a similar issue as scott2020 yesterday. A reboot solved the issue, but it was the second time it happened. I'll also give customer support a call.

KayakinMike
02-12-2009, 07:24 AM
Will do.

I have to conference in my wife probably when she gets back.

When she calls out, gets only fast busy. When I call her from work, the phone rings but when she picks up the phone, she gets silence, a click, then a fast busy. I eventually go to voicemail, but me being the caller I never hear her pick up, it just rings until it goes to voicemail.

I had this same issue. Support switched my STUN to NO and all is fine again.
Mike

scott2020
02-12-2009, 09:18 AM
I did have STUN turned on, and my device was still going to central02. Brandon got me re-provisioned to central01 and disabled all STUN and that fixed me up. My STUN was set to some "goes.com" address. I have tried both ways and have had trouble with both, so hopefully this will clear things up.

bretski
02-13-2009, 10:26 AM
This morning, I discovered that all inbound calls since about 5:00pm MST (yesterday) were going to failover (voicemail). Had to reboot.

VOIPoTim
02-13-2009, 10:34 AM
If you are seeing this, there are changes we can apply to your account that will likely resolve it in your specific situation.

We're just not seeing a large drop like before when it was obviously a larger issue. Registration levels look normal.

Now we're only seeing a few cases not hundreds like we did when we were seeing a system issue. A few registrations out of thousands just isn't really that much.

The few cases of this are likely just specific NAT setups that need something specific set and support will try to determine that on a case-by-case basis and apply changes to your account that could help.

For some specific ISPs and network setups, we've determined that the PAP2T is a better option and in some cases may process a replacement if we've seen cases where it's worked better for specific ISPs/setups.

bretski
02-13-2009, 10:50 AM
Brandon has a PAP2T was on the way for me (for a different, ongoing ticket).

FWIW, I've had several changes applied to my account over the last 2 weeks to try to fix this, and it's still happening. Hopefully the Linksys will help with both issues.

VOIPoTim
02-13-2009, 11:00 AM
Brandon has a PAP2T was on the way for me (for a different, ongoing ticket).

FWIW, I've had several changes applied to my account over the last 2 weeks to try to fix this, and it's still happening. Hopefully the Linksys will help with both issues.

Yeah it could. Grandstream finally told us that the HT502 is not thoroughly tested (or really designed) to be used behind any kind of complex NAT since they have other products without a built in router that are designed for that. We suspect over time that as more bugs are discover, they'll continue to enhance support for more and more complex scenarios. This would explain the devices giving a "500 Internal Error" in the logs when we see this.

When connected directly to the modem and with most simple NATs, the HT502 continues to work very very well.

We are maintaining a list of network setups/routes that the PAP2T works better on. I suspect it'll resolve your issue.

Before, there was a bigger issue going on for sure given the huge fluctuations we saw. So anyone still experiencing registration issues, contact us.

Xponder1
02-13-2009, 11:02 AM
I had a problem with echos yesterday. Never had that issue before. Only affected the person on the other line. Did not have any audio problems on my end. It happened in the early AM on one call and then again when I called my wife from work last night. Hung up and called back and it was fine. Logged in webmail and submitted a ticket.

Support sent me a message telling me to move my ATA in front of the router. This is after someone else in support told me due to my pppoe connection and AT&T it was better to leave it behind my router.

When I replied and told them I would leave it behind my router because I had not had any echo problems before they never even bothered to reply back. I actually included the email with the ticket where I was told to leave it this way. I reset the ATA and the issue is gone. I do not think it had anything to do with my router.

Then I noticed today that I had a voice mail. Voice mail indicators not flashing and no tone to indicate I had a message. When I had the echo problem yesterday morning the call dropped a few minutes later. I guess she called me back and got voice mail but if I had not logged in vpanel I would have never known it was there. It also did not email it to me as it usually would.

Something fishy going on and its not my router. Anyway the echo issue seems to be gone now and I deleted the voicemail I never got.

VOIPoTim
02-13-2009, 11:14 AM
Would you be interested in swapping it out with a Linksys device?

I had a problem with echos yesterday. Never had that issue before. Only affected the person on the other line. Did not have any audio problems on my end. It happened in the early AM on one call and then again when I called my wife from work last night. Hung up and called back and it was fine. Logged in webmail and submitted a ticket.

Support sent me a message telling me to move my ATA in front of the router. This is after someone else in support told me due to my pppoe connection and AT&T it was better to leave it behind my router.

When I replied and told them I would leave it behind my router because I had not had any echo problems before they never even bothered to reply back. I actually included the email with the ticket where I was told to leave it this way. I reset the ATA and the issue is gone. I do not think it had anything to do with my router.

Then I noticed today that I had a voice mail. Voice mail indicators not flashing and no tone to indicate I had a message. When I had the echo problem yesterday morning the call dropped a few minutes later. I guess she called me back and got voice mail but if I had not logged in vpanel I would have never known it was there. It also did not email it to me as it usually would.

Something fishy going on and its not my router. Anyway the echo issue seems to be gone now and I deleted the voicemail I never got.

bretski
02-13-2009, 11:24 AM

I have seen similar symptoms. For me, it's very hit-or-miss as to whether the message waiting indicator and/or stutter tone will work. I've tried it all in terms of how the adapter is set-up: in front of the router, behind the router, in DMZ. No difference. If the mail-gods are smiling on me, I'll have the PAP2T today and report back. It might help you, too...

christcorp
02-13-2009, 12:43 PM
For what it's worth; I tried calling my house today from my cell phone (Which happens to also be the failover and simultaneous ring number). Normally, if all is working fine, I can get the home phone to ring 3-4 times and then go to voicemail. If the adapter isn't working, I will go straight to my CELL Phone voicemail (Being I'm on it and it's the failover). The voipo line was fine for the last few days. Today; I logged into my adapter (Remotely). Both ports showed "REGISTERED". The vpanel showed 1 device registered. However; when I called it, I went straight to my cell phone voicemail. I.e. The adapter, while saying registered, wouldn't receive a call. I remoted in and rebooted. Waiting a couple of minutes; remoted in; verified register; called it with my cell phone and it would ring like it was suppose to and after 4 rings went to voipo voicemail.

So, maybe voipo made some changes and the adapter doesn't catch up until a reboot. Maybe the registration problem is in effect again. My problem is I have simultaneous ring on the cell phone. So, when I answe a call, I don't know if it's because I answered the cell phone for that or because of failover. I'll try calling the house every night when I get home from work to see if the phones ring in the house. Calling out has worked, because I usually do that at least once a night. So, I'll do some more experimenting. later... mike....

Montano
02-13-2009, 12:53 PM
Thanks Mike, I thought I was going crazy or somehow it was me or my equipment. If you had a registration issues then I know I'm not losing my mind !!

burris
02-13-2009, 12:55 PM
Mike....

Interesting..

I don't use the system VM because my wife likes our digital answer machine. No problem as it is as accessible as dialing into the system program...but, I also have failover set to my cell phone and when the adapter is down and I try to call home, before it begins to ring, which it doesn't, a voice with one word I can't understand speaks and immediately goes to a menu selection prompt that I think belongs to Sprint.

Do I remember something in the beta days that Tim mentioned about changing the pattern so if your cell is the failover, or was it simring?, the cell would not ring or it would ring or something. Do you remember any of this?

fisamo
02-13-2009, 01:04 PM
Burris--

That was for simulring. If you have simulring on with your cell as the destination and call the voipo line from your cell, the cell voicemail would pick up instantly, effectively preventing you from calling home. :eek: If you failover to the cell phone, you'll go right to your cell phone email as well, but it's not like there's another person who could take the call at that point. ;)

zcnkac
02-13-2009, 01:18 PM
Viatalk prevents this from happening. If the call is from a number that is also configured for simulring, it will not do simulring.

Montano
02-13-2009, 02:34 PM
My TA wouldn't register all morning to central02. So when I got home from work I switched to sip and it instantly registered. I do notice that when I change to sip I show 2 registrations in vPanel. I can't say that I'm feeling very comfortable about the registration still being there in the morning.

dswartz
02-13-2009, 02:44 PM
I've been using central01. I wasn't even aware there was a central02.

burris
02-13-2009, 02:46 PM
My TA wouldn't register all morning to central02. So when I got home from work I switched to sip and it instantly registered. I do notice that when I change to sip I show 2 registrations in vPanel. I can't say that I'm feeling very comfortable about the registration still being there in the morning.

I have found the same thing and after a while, it goes away, but it hasn't caused me any problems..

scott2020
02-13-2009, 03:02 PM
Last night I had another registration problem. The ATA showed both lines registered, but all calls were going straight to failover (voicemail). Vpanel showed no devices registered. Reboot of the ATA cleared it up. It seems to happen a lot ever since the latest firmware. I have had my ATA behind my WRT54G running Tomato since October and have not had issues until the past few weeks.

For the time being, I am going back to use my Asterisk box and see how things go with that. I am using a Cisco ATA-186 with Asterisk and a couple of provider trunks and things seem good.
Scott

KenH
02-13-2009, 04:39 PM
My calls are now going to failover too. Submitting a ticket.

Brian
02-13-2009, 04:42 PM
Same for me - just had to reboot the ATA.

Xponder1
02-13-2009, 09:04 PM
Would you be interested in swapping it out with a Linksys device?

If you think thats what is best I will gladly ship you this ATA back (and another that is broke has a major audio problem) and you can ship the Linksys but from the following posts I do not think I am the only one who has had a problem in say the last 24 - 36 hours.

Your call. I will also gladly watch it and see if I continue to have a problem and then we can make a decision. I do not want over react.

Lots of possible reasons for the problems. I am positive this ATA will not function in a normal fashion in front of my router. When I had it doing PPPoE connections my connection speed dropped by over half. It is just not a very good router.

Thanks Tim.

VOIPoTim
02-13-2009, 09:13 PM
If you think thats what is best I will gladly ship you this ATA back (and another that is broke has a major audio problem) and you can ship the Linksys but from the following posts I do not think I am the only one who has had a problem in say the last 24 - 36 hours.

Your call. I will also gladly watch it and see if I continue to have a problem and then we can make a decision. I do not want over react.

Yeah definitely not the only one. We're up to 12 reports now, so I agree it is odd for them to all happen around the same time. It's just hard to diagnose a bigger issue since 12 out of thousands really isn't that much.

We're continuing to monitor it in case anything more does come up.

Vumes
02-13-2009, 10:28 PM
Count me in as well. I got calls going to my failover and I looked in vPanel and it did not show anything registered. Can I get a Linksys as well?? :rolleyes:

VOIPoTim
02-13-2009, 10:35 PM
Count me in as well. I got calls going to my failover and I looked in vPanel and it did not show anything registered. Can I get a Linksys as well?? :rolleyes:

Just open up a ticket about it and we'll take care of it.

Vumes
02-13-2009, 10:36 PM
Superb. Thanks. ;)

buckethead
02-14-2009, 12:18 AM
Just to add I had same problem today as well again although a powercycle fixed it. I did not know when it lost registration or how long I was down though. Did not open new ticket though as I continued to use a ticket from day before on losing registration as well.

christcorp
02-14-2009, 12:55 AM
Concerning the simring question. VoipO is set up that you CAN call your VoipO line FROM the phone (In my case the cell phone) which happens to be your simring. I do it all the time. My cell phone IS my simring AS WELL AS my Failover. I call FROM it to my house all the time without problems. Unless of course if VoipO isn't registered or is down. In that case, I would INSTANTLY get me cell phone voice mail because Failover kicks in, but I am talking from the cell phone which happens to be the failover. but for simring; if all is working well, I can call FROM the simring device to the voipo device. Oh, and for what it's worth; after rebooting that one time early this morning; I haven't had any issues. I've been on the road a lot today. I've called back home to the voipo line and it has gone through without problems. later... mike.....

VOIPoTim
02-14-2009, 03:32 AM
For those of you that were experiencing this issue, check the latest reply to your tickets and reboot.

Here is what was sent out earlier to those with tickets in:

-----
We've been monitoring the logs closely throughout the night for a handful of customers reporting this issue. While it's not a widespread issue, we were finally able identify a similarity with the 15 or so customers seeing their registrations drop and have applied a fix for you.

It appears that in some cases, small amounts of network latency (delay) were causing the device's periodic re-registration to fail. The device was waiting for a response and "timed out" before it got the response back. We've made an adjustment to the device so that it will wait longer for a response before giving up, so it should be more resilient in the case of any network delays either on our end or on the path between our network and your ISP. The device should now be waiting plenty of time for this and not timing out prematurely.

Please reboot your adapter so it can pick up this change and establish a new connection with us.

This should resolve the issue for you. Please update us next week and let us know if you continue to see any issues or if things are stable for you after this change. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused and appreciate your patience.
-----

I'm going to sleep now, but will explain more later this weekend. This is not a system-wide change since most users aren't experiencing the issue.

If you experience a registration loss, just open a ticket and this can be applied to your account as well.

Montano
02-14-2009, 08:26 AM
What about us BYODer's having registration issues ? A reboot won't pick up the changes. At least I use a PAP2T so I can apply the changes myself, hopefully.

burris
02-14-2009, 10:02 AM
What about us BYODer's having registration issues ? A reboot won't pick up the changes. At least I use a PAP2T so I can apply the changes myself, hopefully.

Same here. Would be nice to know the changes as they are incorporated.

voxabox
02-14-2009, 11:55 AM
Same here. Would be nice to know the changes as they are incorporated.
uhm, I'm wondering why you guys (your linksys/sipura ATAs) having registration issues...
Besides a brief outage (http://forums.voipo.com/showthread.php?t=1125) (which the ATA recovered without any intervention), my SPA-1001 has experienced no problem.
I do not think I did anything special while configuring it to work with VOIPo
BTW, the linksys/sipura ATAs seem to offer better audio quality, particularly on the first few seconds of outbound calls whereas the GS ones suffer minor clicks and pops. this probably due to the way the linksys ATAs handle the SLIC/codec interface with hardware instead of the GSs, DSP code

I forgot to mention that my ATA is configured register at 1hr interval

burris
02-14-2009, 12:17 PM
uhm, I'm wondering why you guys (your linksys/sipura ATAs) having registration issues...
Besides a brief outage (http://forums.voipo.com/showthread.php?t=1125) (which the ATA recovered without any intervention), my SPA-1001 has experienced no problem.
I do not think I did anything special while configuring it to work with VOIPo
BTW, the linksys/sipura ATAs seem to offer better audio quality, particularly on the first few seconds of outbound calls whereas the GS ones suffer minor clicks and pops. this probably due to the way the linksys ATAs handle the SLIC/codec interface with hardware instead of the GSs, DSP code

As I mentioned, I had no problem with my SPA during the beta as well as running it for some time thereafter, due to working out the kinks with the 286 and such.
I never had a problem with the SPA then.

I did have a few kinks with the 502 and I have left it on provisioning when I use it.

Yesterday, I turned up my SPA again in order to see if there were any issues with the new servers or with the clone process.
Thus far, with the exception of the *codes, which are quite irrelevant for the most part for me, service has been rock solid and I do believe the quality is better and I do hear the the first few seconds you mentioned only with the 286/502. I did refer to this during the beta testing days, but again, I'm not sure how many users would even be aware or care about this.
I'm a nut, so I look for and generally find these kinds of quirks because my main interest is to have my phone talk and listen reliably and clearly...and that it does.
Insofar as wanting to know what tweaks are being done at the system level, I suppose that comes with the territory.:p

Besides that, I will always feel a need to pay attention to all aspects in order to offer any feedback that might be helpful to Tim.

voxabox
02-14-2009, 12:30 PM
As I mentioned, I had no problem with my SPA during the beta as well as running it for some time thereafter, due to working out the kinks with the 286 and such.
I never had a problem with the SPA then.

I did have a few kinks with the 502 and I have left it on provisioning when I use it.

Yesterday, I turned up my SPA again in order to see if there were any issues with the new servers or with the clone process.
Thus far, with the exception of the *codes, which are quite irrelevant for the most part for me, service has been rock solid and I do believe the quality is better and I do hear the the first few seconds you mentioned only with the 286/502. I did refer to this during the beta testing days, but again, I'm not sure how many users would even be aware or care about this.
I'm a nut, so I look for and generally find these kinds of quirks because my main interest is to have my phone talk and listen reliably and clearly...and that it does.
Insofar as wanting to know what tweaks are being done at the system level, I suppose that comes with the territory.:p

Besides that, I will always feel a need to pay attention to all aspects in order to offer any feedback that might be helpful to Tim.
ic, I should have paid more attention - my wife always tells me so;)

Xponder1
02-14-2009, 03:46 PM
I have not read the many replies before this and I am about to reboot my ATA but my phone has been messed up all day.

I tried calling home this morning and it went to a busy tone every time I called. I then called my land line and it was busy so I pieced together that all my calls are going to the fail over number (it was busy because my son was on the land line and I dont pay for call waiting anymore because I dont need it with VOIPo right lol). I sent a message about it to support from work.

It is now 3:40PM. I am off work and at home and I can dial out but all calls are still going to the fail over. About to reboot my ATA. I did read Tim's previous reply but I thought I would post it here anyway because I did not get a response to my ticket. [#GNN-128511]. Hopefully the before mentioned fix will resolve the issue. I have monitored my internet connection and I am positive I have not lost connection since I last rebooted my router.

EDIT after rereading Tim's response I have to wonder if this fix was applied to me or not. By the post it sounds like only the affected people were so I might need it applied. Have rebooted and I can get calls again.

VOIPoTim
02-14-2009, 03:50 PM
I have not read the many replies before this and I am about to reboot my ATA but my phone has been messed up all day.

I tried calling home this morning and it went to a busy tone every time I called. I then called my land line and it was busy so I pieced together that all my calls are going to the fail over number (it was busy because my son was on the land line and I dont pay for call waiting anymore because I dont need it with VOIPo right lol). I sent a message about it to support from work.

It is now 3:40PM. I am off work and at home and I can dial out but all calls are still going to the fail over. About to reboot my ATA. I did read Tim's previous reply but I thought I would post it here anyway because I did not get a response to my ticket. [#GNN-128511]. Hopefully the before mentioned fix will resolve the issue. I have monitored my internet connection and I am positive I have not lost connection since I last rebooted my router.

EDIT after rereading Tim's response I have to wonder if this fix was applied to me or not. By the post it sounds like only the affected people were so I might need it applied.

If you didn't get a reply to the ticket, you wouldn't have had this fix applied. I just applied it for you and replied, so once you reboot you'll be able to pick it up.

Xponder1
02-14-2009, 03:52 PM
If you didn't get a reply to the ticket, you wouldn't have had this fix applied. I just applied it for you and replied, so once you reboot you'll be able to pick it up.

Thanks Tim rebooted as requested.

VOIPoTim
02-14-2009, 05:48 PM

The key with the Grandstream fix was increasing the registration "T Values" which are related to how long it waits for a registration transaction to "complete". If there's any latency or delay in response, a higher value will allow the device to wait longer for it to accommodate that.

I don't know the specific values for it in the PAP2T personally but can get those for you next week.

With the PAP2Ts set to register every minute, I don't think we've had any other reports of drops since even if something like that did cause it to timeout, it would pick back up the next minute.

Montano
02-14-2009, 06:38 PM
Interesting Tim. I got the generic response to my ticket that everyone else got and assumed a fix had been found for all. Now it makes me feel as if I was lumped in with everyone else, and no one really looked at my issues. I was quite clear in my ticket that I use a PAP2T.

Here is the initial ticket entry:
"It seems like every 2 or 3 days my PAP2T looses registration over night. It's down this morning and a reboot did not seem to help. I'm on central02."

VOIPoTim
02-14-2009, 06:52 PM
Interesting Tim. I got the generic response to my ticket that everyone else got and assumed a fix had been found for all. Now it makes me feel as if I was lumped in with everyone else, and no one really looked at my issues. I was quite clear in my ticket that I use a PAP2T.

Here is the initial ticket entry:
"It seems like every 2 or 3 days my PAP2T looses registration over night. It's down this morning and a reboot did not seem to help. I'm on central02."

Sorry about that. It was likely because it was BYOD. They should have responded directly, but we've been stressing that we do not provide BYOD support internally to our team a lot lately since it was making up the bulk of our time spent on support calls slowing all the other response times down, so that's likely why. They should have still replied mentioning BYOD though vs a reply with no real useful info for your situation.

The T values and 1 minute registration interval should help you get to a point of being problem-free again.

Montano
02-14-2009, 08:00 PM
Thanks for the info Tim. Hopefully BYODers are entitled to support when they are experiencing the same loss-of-registration issues as non-BYODers. I can totally understand not supporting configuration, etc... but when a service works perfectly for 2 1/2 years with no changes to a device, then all of a sudden it won't register on repeated occasions and others are experiencing the same issues, I would hope support would be given.

Edit: Not saying I haven't been given great support, just wondering where you are going to draw that fine line. :)

myvoip07
02-14-2009, 11:49 PM
Well i haven't gone this full thread specially the last 1 week. I started seeing the problem devices not registered on my HT502 since sometime after 8:00pm on 2/13 and till now. Outgoing seems to be working fine. Incoming goes to failover i.e voicemail right now.
I just logged in to HT502 and it show the below.
System Up Time: 23:50:37 up 3 days

VOIPoTim
02-15-2009, 12:16 AM
Well i haven't gone this full thread specially the last 1 week. I started seeing the problem devices not registered on my HT502 since sometime after 8:00pm on 2/13 and till now. Outgoing seems to be working fine. Incoming goes to failover i.e voicemail right now.
I just logged in to HT502 and it show the below.
System Up Time: 23:50:37 up 3 days

I just applied the mentioned change to your account. Reboot and it should pick it up. Should be smooth sailing after that.

myvoip07
02-15-2009, 12:47 AM
Tim, Thanks. Rebooted the HT502 as requested and now it shows 1 line registered in devices option in Vpanel.

VOIPoTim
02-15-2009, 12:48 AM
Tim, Thanks. Rebooted the HT502 as requested and now it shows 1 line registered in devices option in Vpanel.

Yeah. Both lines are registered though. Your 2nd line is now a real clone though and not just two registrations, so you'll only see 1 in vPanel. Both will work though.

Brian
02-18-2009, 07:34 PM
It seems that I don't have any devices currently registered. I'll reboot in a few, but wanted to post this first.

Montano
02-18-2009, 07:43 PM
Both my lines are registered. Been that way for 3 days straight now :)

usa2k
02-19-2009, 05:18 AM
Both my lines are registered. Been that way for 3 days straight now :) Not to gloat, but mine have been flawless for a while now! (I love the GS HT502!)

burris
02-19-2009, 05:43 AM
Although the HT502 worked O.K., The PAP2T just seems to be more solid.

To be fair, maybe the registration issues coincided with my assessment of the 502 at the time, but I will exchange them from time to time to offer some comparisons, if there are any practical differences.

Meanwhile, the service is rock solid and the WAF is 100% positive, and I can stand up straight again.;)

Brian
02-19-2009, 06:07 AM
Not to gloat, but mine have been flawless for a while now! (I love the GS HT502!)

FWIW, this is what I'm using :)

sr98user
02-19-2009, 02:12 PM
I just lost registration after 7 days. Vpanel says no registration. But the GS adapter says its registered. I started ethereal and put the ata on a hub. There was no data for 5-10 minutes from the ATA. It is supposed to send registration every minute. Just rebooted and its registered in the Vpanel and I can see SIP traffic on ethereal. I really think there is some problem with the new firmware.

I had DHCP before. I set static IP address for the ATA and will monitor to see how it works

TomP
02-19-2009, 02:23 PM
I just lost registration after 7 days. Vpanel says no registration. But the GS adapter says its registered. I started ethereal and put the ata on a hub. There was no data for 5-10 minutes from the ATA. It is supposed to send registration every minute. Just rebooted and its registered in the Vpanel and I can see SIP traffic on ethereal. I really think there is some problem with the new firmware.

I had DHCP before. I set static IP address for the ATA and will monitor to see how it works

Hmm, I've been up & running w/o problem for a number of days as well, but I checked just now and vPanel shows no device registered. Incoming calls go straight to voicemail. A PAP2T is supposed to be arriving soon, so perhaps that will address the problem.

bretski
02-19-2009, 02:36 PM
I am having much better luck (staying registered) with the PAP2T vs the 502. Haven't dropped yet! (Hope I didn't just jinx myself ;) )

VOIPoTim
02-19-2009, 02:39 PM

Out of curiosity, did your DHCP issue IPs for 7 days and maybe it renewed?

VOIPoTim
02-19-2009, 02:53 PM

Actually, see this:

http://forums.voipo.com/showthread.php?t=1180

TomP
02-19-2009, 02:57 PM
Actually, see this:

http://forums.voipo.com/showthread.php?t=1180

Reboot put me back online. Thx.

sr98user
02-19-2009, 03:33 PM

I have a static DHCP binding in my router for the ATA. My router says that the lease expiration is Infinite because of the static binding. But my default lease is 7 days for other devices. But the ATA has been up for more than 7 days, close to 8 days. Also, I am able to get to the WEB interface of the ATA. So it has an IP and and it is responding to HTTP requests.

I also noticed in my router logs that in the past 7 days the ATA port status went down/up about 3 times. Usually comes back within 10 seconds. I am not sure why the ATA is doing it. None of my other ports go down. But when I lost registration, the ports status was up.

Vumes
02-19-2009, 04:16 PM
I just got it again. No devices registered to the servers... I re-opened the ticket and hoping to get the GS swapped out for a Linksys... A reboot to the device corrected the problem.

VOIPoTim
02-19-2009, 04:17 PM
I just got it again. No devices registered to the servers... I re-opened the ticket and hoping to get the GS swapped out for a Linksys... A reboot to the device corrected the problem.

Check out http://forums.voipo.com/showthread.php?t=1180

Vumes
02-19-2009, 04:19 PM
Ahhh, got it. Thanks Tim.

Brian
02-19-2009, 05:06 PM
FYI, one of my 2 lines just dropped offline. I realized this when only one of the phones rang, and checked vPanel to confirm. It was fine an hour or two ago.

VOIPoTim
02-19-2009, 05:35 PM
FYI, one of my 2 lines just dropped offline. I realized this when only one of the phones rang, and checked vPanel to confirm. It was fine an hour or two ago.

A Grandstream?

Brian
02-19-2009, 05:42 PM
A Grandstream?

Yup.

BTW, I have no desire to ditch the GS and switch to a PAP - I'd much rather stick with the issue and help get it fixed.

carlquist
02-19-2009, 06:11 PM
Just wanted to chime in that mine dropped as well. I read the thread in the announcement forum. Somehow I always seem to be in the 5% or whatever small number of users that is affected by these issues.

As usual, a reboot of my 502 corrected the problem.

My question is, why didn't it re-register by itself? And also why does the adapter always think it's registered when it obviously (as evidenced from the Devices vPanel page) is not?

VOIPoTim
02-19-2009, 06:17 PM
My question is, why didn't it re-register by itself? And also why does the adapter always think it's registered when it obviously (as evidenced from the Devices vPanel page) is not?

They should be.

That's what we keep asking Grandstream and they don't have an answer for.

The PAP2Ts and Grandstream 286 (older models) re-register almost instantly.

When 502's don't re-register (not all the time), they have either an "Internal Server Error" or "Segmentation Fault" error.

carlquist
02-19-2009, 06:29 PM
They should be.

That's what we keep asking Grandstream and they don't have an answer for.

The PAP2Ts and Grandstream 286 (older models) re-register almost instantly.

When 502's don't re-register (not all the time), they have either an "Internal Server Error" or "Segmentation Fault" error.

Fair enough. I understand you can't write Grandstream's firmware for them.

I'm not to this point yet. But are you guys willing to swap out my 502 for a PAP2T? If they aren't able to nail down the cause and correct it in the near future, I will probably get to the point where constantly "policing" my 502's registration status becomes too cumbersome.

sr98user
02-19-2009, 08:05 PM
Lost registration again today probably around 8.30pm. Had to reboot and get back to normal.

quattrohead
02-19-2009, 08:24 PM
My 502 did not drop registration or if it did got up and running again by itself.
Mine is still outside the router, how about you "droppers" ?

VOIPoTim
02-19-2009, 09:02 PM
My 502 did not drop registration or if it did got up and running again by itself.
Mine is still outside the router, how about you "droppers" ?

As far as I know the ones that dropped were all behind a router.

TomP
02-19-2009, 09:10 PM

Mine was in front. I've since switched to the PAP2T that arrived today. So far so good.

eagle 1
02-19-2009, 09:12 PM

Yes, mine was behind router. I run too many apps, site-to-site vpn's and servers at home. I also use a cisco asa router and firewall. Having the ht 502 in front of my router caused a lot of issues with my other applications. It also did not allow the throughput of my asa. The ht 502 was clearly open to all traffic from voipo.

So I believe it is truly a problem with the grandstream as Tim has been saying all along. Not anything with the Voipo network or servers.

eagle 1
02-19-2009, 09:20 PM
Are the Pap2t devices set to re-register every 60 seconds like the ht 502's? It would seem that I might be missing incoming calls while the ht 502 is re-registering as it takes some time to re-register. I realize that outgoing calls may not need to be registered, but it seems like ultimately it would be less of a chance of missing calls, if my device is unavailable for 10-15 seconds each minute...But then again, maybe I don't quite get the way that works...

Xponder1
02-19-2009, 09:24 PM
I got the email letting me know I had no devices registered. Thank you for the email. I am confused because I read the other thread about the issue earlier and confirmed my phone was still working so it became unregistered sometime after that. After the email I checked and sure enough it was not registered. A reboot did resolve the issue. I really think Grandstream is letting you down Tim.
As many of these things as you have and are going to be purchasing you would think they would be a little more helpful in resolving these problems. Seems clear to me at this point all the problems that you have had for the most part are the device and not the service.

Thanks again for the email!

VOIPoTim
02-19-2009, 09:32 PM
Are the Pap2t devices set to re-register every 60 seconds like the ht 502's? It would seem that I might be missing incoming calls while the ht 502 is re-registering as it takes some time to re-register. I realize that outgoing calls may not need to be registered, but it seems like ultimately it would be less of a chance of missing calls, if my device is unavailable for 10-15 seconds each minute...But then again, maybe I don't quite get the way that works...

Yeah, they're both re-registering. It shouldn't really affect the calling (even if you're on a call it's doing it).

Huffy
02-19-2009, 09:49 PM
I got home and my daughter was on the phone (as usual) so I did not think anything was wrong. But then my failover line rang. I checked email and had one from VOIPo about an hour old, telling me my 502 was not registered. I checked vPanel and sure enough, still no devices registed. I booted my daughter off the phone and cycled power on the 502. All is well again in vPanel.

FYI, my 502 is not behind a router.

David

NY Tel Guy
02-19-2009, 10:50 PM
Just checked again and Vpanel is showing no devices registered again.

KenH
02-20-2009, 05:36 AM
FYI:

I have attempted to use both the provisioned HT502 and PAP2T, but neither device provided the call quality and stability of my PAP2. Certainly, the PAP2T should be able to attain the same level of service if I were able to configure it (no admin access).

Both ports of the PAP2 are being served by central01.voipwelcome.com with FXS1 using port 5079 and FXS2 on port 5062. There is no port-forwarding or DMZ, STUN is not enabled and the registration expiration is set at 3600 seconds. I have had no loss-of-registration issues with these settings.

Ken

Edit: I can provide screen captures of my configuration pages if anyone desires them.

orum
02-20-2009, 09:23 AM
I just tried to call home and went straight to voicemail. I rebooted my HT502 last night to get it registered again, but it looks like it lost registration again.

Where are the "no devices registered" emails configured? I have not received one yesterday, or today. Was this a one time event, or monitoring we can set up?

Thanks,
Dan

NY Tel Guy
02-20-2009, 09:33 AM
I just tried to call home and went straight to voicemail. I rebooted my HT502 last night to get it registered again, but it looks like it lost registration again.

Where are the "no devices registered" emails configured? I have not received one yesterday, or today. Was this a one time event, or monitoring we can set up?

Thanks,
DanI've never received the e-mail either.

quattrohead
02-20-2009, 10:59 AM
For what its worth, my Phonepower supplied 502 has never shown a problem in over 6 months behind the router that I have had them.
What does this tell us ? Dunno.

abward
02-20-2009, 11:56 AM
quattrohead,

What is the firmware level of your Phonepower box?

quattrohead
02-20-2009, 03:24 PM
Software Version: Program-- 1.0.1.21 Bootloader-- 1.0.0.9 Core-- 1.0.0.25 Base-- 1.0.0.76
System Up Time: 16:24:23 up 15 days

usa2k
02-20-2009, 03:30 PM
Software Version: Program-- 1.0.1.21 Bootloader-- 1.0.0.9
That is what my HT502 has on VOIPo typing *** 16

abward
02-20-2009, 03:45 PM
Well, there goes logic out the window...the firmware are the same.

But, someone from VOIPo should be asking you to go into the admin pages on your Phonepower box and figure out what is different, and makes yours work.

burris
02-20-2009, 04:23 PM

But, someone from VOIPo should be asking you to go into the admin pages on your Phonepower box and figure out what is different, and makes yours work.

I'm sure Tim has looked at this, but I think that every provider has a different system of handling their calls as well as registrations.

However, it may be a good idea if they haven't considered it.

quattrohead
02-20-2009, 07:26 PM
They have the admin pages locked out with a password.
I had worked with them on a "noise" issue. They did a remote desktop session and then just terminated it when done leaving FF open ;) ....thought FF should have the password in the field so went back and told FF to remember it.
Unfortunately, it seemed to be wrong :confused:

VOIPoTim
02-21-2009, 11:16 PM
This was posted in its own thread, but bears repeating here:

One thing we've seen quite a bit recently is people reporting a loss of registration

Since the devices are re-registering every minute it seems like some people are looking in vPanel right within the 3 second or so window when it's happening.

If you think your device is no registered give it a minute or so to confirm before reporting it to make sure it's not just a case of perfect timing.

sr98user
02-22-2009, 07:03 AM
Just checked this morning. And I lost registration. I waited for 5 minutes before I did a reboot. There is no UDP traffic between the SIP server and ATA during that time. After the reboot I am back to normal.

carlquist
02-22-2009, 07:14 AM
I had lost registration sometime overnight or early this morning as well. I waited approx 3 mins before rebooting the 502. The devices page never indicated a registration within that time so I went ahead and rebooted. That corrected the problem.

burris
02-22-2009, 08:06 AM
Just for the record, I have both my PAP2T as well as my 502(2nd number) online.
I did just take a look at the VPanel for my 2nd line, and although the 502 shows as registered in the ATA, I had to do a manual reboot for it to really register.
Outbound of course, did work before I rebooted. Now it does shows in the panel.
The 502 is set for 1 minute registration and is pointed to the sip server..

The PAP2T sits there and purrs..not a problem.

dlangley
02-22-2009, 10:26 AM
After about 2 weeks of no probems, yesterday I started having registration problems again.
Once yesterday afternoon, once last night and once this morning.
Yesterday afternoon: 1 port showed as registered, calls went to failover.
last night: port 2 unregistered but still got calls on port 1.
this morning: same as last night.

in all 3 cases a reboot fixed the registrations.

orum
02-22-2009, 11:47 AM
Lost registration again last night/this morning...

Dan

Montano
02-22-2009, 11:51 AM
My BYOD PAP2T has had no registration issues for a couple weeks now. I'm feeling better and better as each trouble free day passes.

Brian
02-22-2009, 11:59 AM
Lost registration on one of my lines this AM (and I waited quite a while before I power cycled).

kevm
02-22-2009, 12:26 PM
I'm unregistered again too. just checked

ralfaro
02-22-2009, 12:46 PM
This is really getting to be a bit much. My ATA was registered and working yesterday morning when we left for the day and returned home this afternoon. I got a call from my Son on my wife's cell phone tellimg me his calls were going to my failover number again. When I checked VPanel, sure enough, the ATA was not registered. I'm opening a ticket to see what if anything can be done about this as it has been worse in the last few days. I really don't want to have to babysit my GrandStream all the time. Hoping we can get to the bottom of this.

RA

VOIPoTim
02-22-2009, 05:22 PM
No need for a ticket right now, but can those of you that have lost it recently (or ever) please open a ticket if you do from here on out.

I don't want to get into details just yet, but I just made a rather big discovery.

I was just looking in system logs myself and noticed something pretty big standing out (at least to me). I may not know what it means fully, but I know keywords and when certain keywords and ERROR shouldn't be together. I had 2 of our admins look into it and sure enough they said it's an issue that should be fixed, but was overlooked all this time.

I think sometimes admins see errors and think "oh that's ok to ignore" since they know what it is and "know" that there are a lot of things that "shouldn't be an issue" but when I don't know what it is to the extent that I don't brush it off until someone explains to me why it says error "even if it doesn't matter" just so I know. With that being said, I noticed something that several other full-time sys admins did not and we think it could be the culprit.

We're looking into this more, but this little error could have been causing this entire mess.

kevm
02-22-2009, 05:55 PM
Great. Thanks Tim. Your communication through this entire thing has been top notch.

VOIPoTim
02-22-2009, 06:13 PM
No need for a ticket right now, but can those of you that have lost it recently (or ever) please open a ticket if you do from here on out.

I don't want to get into details just yet, but I just made a rather big discovery.

I was just looking in system logs myself and noticed something pretty big standing out (at least to me). I may not know what it means fully, but I know keywords and when certain keywords and ERROR shouldn't be together. I had 2 of our admins look into it and sure enough they said it's an issue that should be fixed, but was overlooked all this time.

I think sometimes admins see errors and think "oh that's ok to ignore" since they know what it is and "know" that there are a lot of things that "shouldn't be an issue" but when I don't know what it is to the extent that I don't brush it off until someone explains to me why it says error "even if it doesn't matter" just so I know. With that being said, I noticed something that several other full-time sys admins did not and we think it could be the culprit.

We're looking into this more, but this little error could have been causing this entire mess.

In relation to this, check out http://forums.voipo.com/showthread.php?t=1187

VOIPoTim
02-22-2009, 06:19 PM
44K errors this afternoon today when I found this to none since. Looking good so far.

quattrohead
02-22-2009, 06:21 PM
Thats why I always ask questions even when out of my depth on something, I like to have people really think about the question from a simple point of view.

Brian
02-23-2009, 04:08 AM
When I checked a few minutes ago, I was not registered :(

burris
02-23-2009, 05:20 AM
Just for the record..

My PAP2T that I use for my main line hasn't missed yet...registration is set for 1 hour.

My 502 that I have connected in tandem for my 2nd number and is pointed to the sip server, has been on all night and has not missed. Last reboot was almost 10 hours ago. Registration is still set for 1 minute. Firmware is still 1.0.1.21...no change

Both residing behind my router with no DMZ-no port forwarding-no nothing.

burris

bubbanc
02-23-2009, 06:38 AM
So what exactly was the DNS issue that was resolved? Just curious since my BYOD hasn't had any registration issues nor have I had issues with the panel or placing/receiving calls.

dswartz
02-23-2009, 07:04 AM
So what exactly was the DNS issue that was resolved? Just curious since my BYOD hasn't had any registration issues nor have I had issues with the panel or placing/receiving calls.

Same here :)

Brian
02-23-2009, 07:07 AM
So am I the only one that lost registration again? Just a fluke hopefully? :)

kevm
02-23-2009, 07:23 AM
did you reboot after they announced the fix? If they had a DNS issue, maybe you need to register again. I am not sure what the issue is or was.. Could have been something with the naming such as the incorrect FQDN for the primary DNS I suppose, but of course thats just a guess.
I believe Tim asked us all to reboot after the possible fix. I have not yet and I am still registered, but it might be worth a try.

Just a thought. Good luck.

Kevm

NY Tel Guy
02-23-2009, 08:31 AM
I am still registered as of this morning.

burris
02-23-2009, 08:33 AM
So am I the only one that lost registration again? Just a fluke hopefully? :)

That's known as the administrator penalty.;)

Hawkmeister
02-23-2009, 09:01 AM
My line dropped this morning in the middle of a call at 9:40 AM EST. No devices registered in VPanel. Rebooted Grandstream device and I'm back up.

I submitted new case to Voipo support.

dlangley
02-23-2009, 09:09 AM
I lost registration again this morning and didnt realize it until a call went to my failover number about 10 minutes ago.

CrownSeven
02-23-2009, 09:14 AM
My grandstream also lost registration. I noticed after trying to make a call, it took longer than usual to ring out, but it did eventually. Checked to see if it was registered after that and saw that it was not - reboot time. I was surprised that I could still dial out even though the device was not registered.

NY Tel Guy
02-23-2009, 09:58 AM
My grandstream also lost registration. I noticed after trying to make a call, it took longer than usual to ring out, but it did eventually. Checked to see if it was registered after that and saw that it was not - reboot time. I was surprised that I could still dial out even though the device was not registered.
Just checked again, mine are still registered.

kevm
02-23-2009, 10:08 AM
Still registerd as well. last reboot for the unregistered issue was 17 hours ago.

Xponder1
02-23-2009, 10:12 AM
The people who are saying they had a problem today need to indicate if they rebooted last night so they know if its related to the old problem or if its something else.

I rebooted yesterday and everything is still fine.System Up Time: 10:13:19 up 14:11

Brian
02-23-2009, 10:14 AM
Yes, I followed Tim's instructions and rebooted right after he told us to ;)

burris
02-23-2009, 10:35 AM
After all the good things that were happening, I'm sorry to say that after 13 1/2 hours of up time on my 502, it just dropped registration..however a reboot quickly restored it.

Meanwhile, the PAP2T has not missed once.

VOIPoTim
02-23-2009, 10:40 AM
Are you guys sure it wasn't just in the process of re-registering or was it down for a while?

Brian
02-23-2009, 10:44 AM
Are you guys sure it wasn't just in the process of re-registering or was it down for a while?

I don't know what time it went down, but when I checked, I gave it a good couple mins before posting.

Hawkmeister
02-23-2009, 10:46 AM
Tim,

Remember, I was actually dropped from a call I was on. That's how I knew it happened. If it was in the process of re-registering, why would it have dropped me from the call?

It probably took me ~ 4/5 minutes from the dropped call, until I manually rebooted the ATA.

burris
02-23-2009, 10:46 AM

I can't tell you.

I know it was up and running for over 13 hours. I clicked on my tab and it was down. I looked at the VPanel and it said device was down.
If it was reregistering, why would it go down?

Tim, this is my second line and it's on the 502. I only use it for testing, so any tests you need to run on it...go ahead.
I won't be around to help for the rest of the afternoon, but you can do whatever you need to do.

voipinit
02-23-2009, 11:57 AM
I have only have had the registration issue a few times, the last time was yesterday around noon EST. I rebooted and it has been stable since, and rebooted again after I read the posts suggesting so. I think the problem is with the GS devices as a whole. It appears to attempt to re-register about 20-30 seconds before the expiration and if it fails for whatever reason, it's done and does not try again (or if it does it sends gibberish). Talking to the GS folks on a similar problem that I noticed when I first lost registration several weeks back (line 1 with a different provider failed when line 2 [Voipo] failed to re-register). They have been in contact and I think the next firmware release will address this, but who knows when that will be, they didn't say. Like Tim said sometime back, I don't think the maturity of the GS HT-502 is there yet. That said, with the same GS HT-502 (line 1), I have NEVER lost registration with the other provider.

VOIPoTim
02-23-2009, 12:01 PM
Tim,

Remember, I was actually dropped from a call I was on. That's how I knew it happened. If it was in the process of re-registering, why would it have dropped me from the call?

It probably took me ~ 4/5 minutes from the dropped call, until I manually rebooted the ATA.

Were you on the older .8 firmware by chance?

Hawkmeister
02-23-2009, 12:13 PM
Hi Tim,

I don't believe so. I've tried to keep things updated. Here's the ATA detail..

I don't know if the Motorola Cable modem logs would be of any help. I have noticed records being logged that were not present prior to adding the ATA. The following is an example of the events:

2009-02-17 09:02:23 6-Notice M571.1 Ethernet link up - ready to pass packets
2009-02-17 09:02:21 6-Notice M571.4 Ethernet link dormant - not currently active
2009-02-17 09:02:19 6-Notice M571.1 Ethernet link up - ready to pass packets
2009-02-17 09:02:11 6-Notice M571.4 Ethernet link dormant - not currently active
2009-02-17 09:02:09 6-Notice M571.1 Ethernet link up - ready to pass packets
2009-02-17 09:02:07 6-Notice M571.4 Ethernet link dormant - not currently active

Let me know if there's anything else i can provide in my environment that will help troubleshoot.

Xponder1
02-23-2009, 01:01 PM
Tim you think it would help to find the cause if the logging on the devices was set to debug? Last time you gave out the pass I noticed a log level setting. Maybe its something simple that is not getting logged because its set to error only or something like that.

Just tossing out ideas. I understand that would create a lot of traffic so maybe try it with a test group (folks who have more problems then others perhaps).

Mine is still up.
System Up Time: 13:03:02 up 17:00

VOIPoTim
02-23-2009, 01:25 PM
So far, support is almost dead today and things are very quiet (just catching up on tickets) and the graphs have never been higher, so while it's still to early to tell, this is all a good sign.

Xponder1
02-23-2009, 01:30 PM
So far, support is almost dead today and things are very quiet (just catching up on tickets) and the graphs have never been higher, so while it's still to early to tell, this is all a good sign.

Good to hear! Long overdue break for support ;)

mboudoin
02-23-2009, 06:26 PM
I can tell you right now that I have only today had registration issues and when calling out the number originated from a 310 number. on chat right now with support. Been solid on the GS until today.

VOIPoTim
02-23-2009, 06:38 PM
I can tell you right now that I have only today had registration issues and when calling out the number originated from a 310 number. on chat right now with support. Been solid on the GS until today.

Yeah I know someone was just talking about your account with 310. It looks like someone accidentally typed in your MAC address to assign to another account.

So when you rebooted it provisioned the wrong account info so you were registering, but not to your account.

They should have that fixed shortly.

mboudoin
02-23-2009, 06:42 PM
Fixed already. Something weird with the way the account was provisioned. ATA seems to have updated after the error was found. I have to hand it to you guys. As long as you can keep up with the support side of the issues then I am here for a while.

dbmaven
02-23-2009, 08:16 PM
I just re-opened ticket IWH-339207

I don't know if you pushed something out or not - but the Line 2 not registering problem is back. It was fine all day *(as far as I know). I even had to reboot my modem/router, and when I rebooted the PAP2T it was fine - then on the first or maybe second re-registration Line 2 went out.....

VOIPoTim
02-23-2009, 08:23 PM
I just re-opened ticket IWH-339207

I don't know if you pushed something out or not - but the Line 2 not registering problem is back. It was fine all day *(as far as I know). I even had to reboot my modem/router, and when I rebooted the PAP2T it was fine - then on the first or maybe second re-registration Line 2 went out.....

Do you have anything else connecting on that port by chance? 5061

dbmaven
02-23-2009, 08:25 PM
That's interesting.

Let me check something out and get back.

VOIPoTim
02-23-2009, 08:27 PM
That's interesting.

Let me check something out and get back.

PAP2 is using 5060 and 5061 for the main signaling ports so just make sure nothing else running on those. If you need to change them due to something else being not changeable, we can.

dbmaven
02-23-2009, 08:32 PM
I have a MagicJack - which might well use 5061.
It has been active all the time and has not previously caused problems.....

But I pulled it - and rebooted the PAP2T - still won't register on Line 2.

VOIPoTim
02-23-2009, 08:34 PM
I have a MagicJack - which might well use 5061.
It has been active all the time and has not previously caused problems.....

But I pulled it - and rebooted the PAP2T - still won't register on Line 2.

Let's try changing your port. I'll set it to 5079. Especially since it's just 1 line having issues, it sounds like a port issue. Reboot now and try that.

dbmaven
02-23-2009, 08:38 PM
That did it. Line 2 is active - has dial tone and was able to dial out.

Very strange...

Thanks !

dbmaven
02-23-2009, 08:46 PM
Spoke too soon.

I've now duplicated the sequence of events that caused it to go out.

I call my VOIPO line from my MagicJack.
I don't answer, and let it go to voicemail.
Line 2 is active (light is 'on' on the PAP2T).
I go to vPanel, and play the voicemail online.
Line 2 is still active.
As soon as I delete the voicemail, Line 2 light goes out, and the PAP2T status page shows:
Display Name: User ID: ##########B
Hook State: On Registration State: Can't connect to login server
Last Registration At: 2/23/2009 21:40:54 Next Registration In: 9 s
Message Waiting: No Call Back Active: No

The same sequence caused it both times - so it wouldn't appear to be the specific port.

Edit to add:
MagicJack not installed.
I pulled power from the ATA.
I rebooted my router to clear any 'active' ports.
After applying power to the ATA, both lines went active.

I then called my VOIPO number from my cell phone, and repeated the steps above.
Before deleting the message (while it was still playing, actually) Line 2 went dead and shows the same result in the PAP2T status page.
Doesn't appear to be related to the MagicJack or even a specific port....
Reset the ATA and router, both ports active. I'll monitor to see if Line 2 stays up.

VOIPoTim
02-23-2009, 09:13 PM
Spoke too soon.

I've now duplicated the sequence of events that caused it to go out.

I call my VOIPO line from my MagicJack.
I don't answer, and let it go to voicemail.
Line 2 is active (light is 'on' on the PAP2T).
I go to vPanel, and play the voicemail online.
Line 2 is still active.
As soon as I delete the voicemail, Line 2 light goes out, and the PAP2T status page shows:
Display Name: User ID: ##########B
Hook State: On Registration State: Can't connect to login server
Last Registration At: 2/23/2009 21:40:54 Next Registration In: 9 s
Message Waiting: No Call Back Active: No

The same sequence caused it both times - so it wouldn't appear to be the specific port.

Edit to add:
MagicJack not installed.
I pulled power from the ATA.
I rebooted my router to clear any 'active' ports.
After applying power to the ATA, both lines went active.

I then called my VOIPO number from my cell phone, and repeated the steps above.
Before deleting the message (while it was still playing, actually) Line 2 went dead and shows the same result in the PAP2T status page.
Doesn't appear to be related to the MagicJack or even a specific port....
Reset the ATA and router, both ports active. I'll monitor to see if Line 2 stays up.

It's only Line 2 though? Very odd.

dbmaven
02-23-2009, 09:23 PM
Line 1 remains active and available at all times.

Very odd may be an understatement.

Absolutely reproducible.

And Line 2, right now, remains active.

usa2k
02-23-2009, 09:36 PM
So this is about PAP2T not HT502, right DBMaven?

dbmaven
02-23-2009, 10:09 PM
Yes - this is a PAP2T

burris
02-24-2009, 05:32 AM
For what it's worth, I have 2 accounts with a PAP2T on one and a 502 on the other, both in tandem.

Although the PAP2 has never missed, I see this morning that the 502 has been up and running and registered for the last 19 hours.
Sure looks good.

PAP2T line 1=5060 line2=5061

502 line1=5079 line2=5062

Brian
02-24-2009, 06:50 AM
So, just an interesting note, not a complaint: My internet died for about 30 minutes last night. My GS was not registered this morning - my PAP2T (2nd line, BYOD) was. I'm not necessarily saying there's anything wrong - I don't know that a device should re-register after a network failure, but it was just interesting that the PAP2T didn't have any issues.

dbmaven
02-24-2009, 07:57 AM
Line 2 remained active/available overnight.

burris
02-24-2009, 08:30 AM
So, just an interesting note, not a complaint: My internet died for about 30 minutes last night. My GS was not registered this morning - my PAP2T (2nd line, BYOD) was. I'm not necessarily saying there's anything wrong - I don't know that a device should re-register after a network failure, but it was just interesting that the PAP2T didn't have any issues.

An interesting problem.

I wonder just what it is that tells the ATA to register/re-register?
Evidently the 1 minute setting is not effective for everyone. Maybe the DNS gets confused after the network failure.

VOIPoTim
02-24-2009, 12:00 PM

Brian,

Just curious, do you have DNS servers hardcoded into the 502 or is it just the default DHCP?

What about the PAP2T?

Brian
02-24-2009, 12:17 PM
Brian,

Just curious, do you have DNS servers hardcoded into the 502 or is it just the default DHCP?

What about the PAP2T?

DHCP on both - which is my router's address, pointing back to Comcast. I have no problem changing it - just let me know what you'd like me to try, if anything.

VOIPoTim
02-24-2009, 12:29 PM
DHCP on both - which is my router's address, pointing back to Comcast. I have no problem changing it - just let me know what you'd like me to try, if anything.

Are you able to replicate the internet connection loss? If so, could you do it with DNS hardcoded and with it using DHCP?

If anyone else wants to do this too, the more the better.

It looks like in some cases, the GS is not re-pulling DNS from DHCP so we're trying to confirm that now.

Brian
02-24-2009, 12:36 PM
Are you able to replicate the internet connection loss? If so, could you do it with DNS hardcoded and with it using DHCP?

If anyone else wants to do this too, the more the better.

It looks like in some cases, the GS is not re-pulling DNS from DHCP so we're trying to confirm that now.

Sure. I'll try it tonight.

burris
02-24-2009, 12:56 PM
Tim..

On my 502, DHCP is set to default dynamic...although I have a static IP.

On the PAP2, as I mentioned in a previous post, the DNS is set to the IPs for OpenDNS. 208.67.220.220 and 208.67.222.222
Has been this way since I got it from you and for whatever reason, hasn't missed once since inception.
Also, I have my router set to DHCP as well, even though I have a static IP.

Perhaps the fact that OpenDNS rolls with the punches, it never gets hung up with a DNS problem..

Although I am registered with OpenDNS, I do not have it activated. For you to have programmed it in originally, did your company have to register and set it up?

Xponder1
02-24-2009, 02:57 PM
For what its worth I have a Linksys WRT54GS running DD-WRT and I have it configured to assign opendns's dns servers for dhcp AND I have it setup with iptables rules that force dns requests to use opendns.

So for example my kids can not just change their dns server settings and get around the opendns site block outs I have setup. If this thing tries pulling dns at all it has to be going to opendns.

VOIPoTim
02-24-2009, 03:14 PM

So far this still holds true. We're still monitoring very closely, but it seems like we're all set now.

Registrations are the highest they've EVER been.

burris
02-24-2009, 03:29 PM
Maybe at some point in time, you'll feel comfortable in telling us the details of the problem.

KenH
02-24-2009, 03:36 PM
Tim,

Did you push the revised line-2 credentials change as you mentioned? If so, does this affect PAP2 users and should we request the new credentials?

Ken

VOIPoTim
02-24-2009, 03:40 PM
Tim,

Did you push the revised line-2 credentials change as you mentioned? If so, does this affect PAP2 users and should we request the new credentials?

Ken

We haven't yet, but will announce it when when we do for BYOD.

VOIPoTim
02-24-2009, 03:40 PM
Maybe at some point in time, you'll feel comfortable in telling us the details of the problem.

Let's give it a few more days until we know for sure :)

burris
02-24-2009, 03:48 PM
Let's give it a few more days until we know for sure :)

Actually, as I typed this, my 1st line on my second acct(502) went down.

I waited, but a reboot was necessary to both register and get it to show in the VPanel, which it now does again. It did reboot in a heartbeat, though.

VOIPoTim
02-24-2009, 04:17 PM
Actually, as I typed this, my 1st line on my second acct(502) went down.

I waited, but a reboot was necessary to both register and get it to show in the VPanel, which it now does again. It did reboot in a heartbeat, though.

Let me check your logs :)

burris
02-24-2009, 04:19 PM
Let's not get personal, now;)

burris
02-24-2009, 04:57 PM

Tim....

While you're logging, I can tell you it just unregistered again.

Phones on main line are fine..just got off a call.

A reboot quickly re-registered.

VOIPoTim
02-24-2009, 05:09 PM
Tim....

While you're logging, I can tell you it just unregistered again.

Phones on main line are fine..just got off a call.

A reboot quickly re-registered.

So far no other reports though. Very interesting.

Can you do a hard reboot one more time for me? I just made a change for you to test something.

burris
02-24-2009, 05:15 PM
So far no other reports though. Very interesting.

Can you do a hard reboot one more time for me? I just made a change for you to test something.

Done.

Registered and ok in VPanel.

Brian
02-24-2009, 08:38 PM
Of course, when I tried to replicate this morning's incident around 5PM Eastern, everything re-registered...each of the 3 times I attempted it. Now, I've been away from the house for a few hours, and I just looked, and I've got nothing registered (DNS is hard-coded). Care to check any logs?

VOIPoTim
02-24-2009, 08:43 PM
Of course, when I tried to replicate this morning's incident around 5PM Eastern, everything re-registered...each of the 3 times I attempted it. Now, I've been away from the house for a few hours, and I just looked, and I've got nothing registered (DNS is hard-coded). Care to check any logs?

Is the "preferred DNS server" one hardcoded or just the static ones?

The error we're seeing for you is this: Feb 24 07:41:14 XXXXXXXXXXX.md.comcast.net HT502: [00:0B:82:XX:XX:XX][1.0.1.21] Transport error (-1) for transaction 3968

Brian
02-24-2009, 08:46 PM
It was just static - I just caught up with the other DNS thread. Just put one of the ones you suggested into preferred, so hopefully that will do it.

VOIPoTim
02-24-2009, 08:54 PM
Try the putting DNS in the preferred dns field and I bet it clears up for you.:)

VOIPoTim
02-24-2009, 08:55 PM
Try the putting DNS in the preferred dns field and I bet it clears up for you.:)

Burris - Has yours went down since making the DNS change?

So far registrations are still at an all time high with a huge upward curve all day, so things are still looking good.

The only cases we've seen of an issue were fixed with filling in the DNS info.

Brian
02-24-2009, 08:56 PM
So, what's that error actually mean? :) The entry is there now - I'll update tomorrow.

VOIPoTim
02-24-2009, 08:56 PM
So, what's that error actually mean? :) The entry is there now - I'll update tomorrow.

It just means it can't connect to us. Normally it would show a DNS query there.

Example:

Feb 25 02:57:02 XXX.ph.cox.net XXMACXXX DNS Querying host: sip.voipwelcome.com, result ttl=30

Feb 25 02:57:02XXX.ph.ph.cox.net XXMACXXX Query result ip[0]:74.52.58.50,

Feb 25 02:57:02XXX.ph.ph.cox.net XXMACXXX

VOIPoTim
02-24-2009, 08:58 PM
These logs are pretty cool now that I know how to check them without the info being relayed from others. :)

burris
02-25-2009, 03:43 AM
Burris - Has yours went down since making the DNS change?

So far registrations are still at an all time high with a huge upward curve all day, so things are still looking good.

The only cases we've seen of an issue were fixed with filling in the DNS info.

First thing this morning, I see the 502 is still up...9 hours now.
This is after putting the suggested DNS in the field.

burris
02-25-2009, 08:40 AM
First thing this morning, I see the 502 is still up...9 hours now.
This is after putting the suggested DNS in the field.

Just got back to find the 502 still up for 13+ hours, but line one is unregistered and showing no devices in VPanel.

I will be out for a few hours, so won't be able to do any changes in the meanwhile.

kevm
02-25-2009, 11:46 AM
502 Unregistered in V panel AGAIN...!!!!! And my voice mail is not picking up. Just rings forever..

VOIPoTim
02-25-2009, 11:47 AM
We just had a hardware failure with a RADIUS server earlier this morning due to load. RADIUS handles call logs and authentication.

With the registration interval set so slow, it could have been denying authentication to some devices in the few minutes it was down and caused a few registration issues this morning unfortunately.

kevm
02-25-2009, 11:56 AM
ok Tim. Thanks for the explanation. Rebooting......
Can you (the head man). find anything out about my porting request?
Rebooting now.

Thanks

Kev

kevm
02-25-2009, 12:00 PM
Registered fine after reboot...!!!

sr98user
02-25-2009, 12:10 PM
Lost registration after almost 3 days. But when I call my number from cell phone I am getting "All circuits are busy" error.

VOIPoTim
02-25-2009, 12:15 PM
Yes, unfortunately registrations were still at an all-time high with no signs of dropping before this server failed.

See this thread for info: http://forums.voipo.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=1197

dcshobby
02-25-2009, 12:16 PM
We also lost device registration again with a 502. I have to say this is starting to become a nuisance with the service. While in beta, it just worked and we never had issues. I am hoping that we can get back to the level of service we had while in beta.

sr98user
02-25-2009, 12:17 PM
I just did a reboot and it is not registering. I do see the new DNS servers set in the Basic settings page.

Hawkmeister
02-25-2009, 12:18 PM
I lost registration again today. Unfortunately, it won't re-register after reboot. Currently on hold with the helpdesk.

VOIPoTim
02-25-2009, 12:21 PM
I'm told we need to make one more change to switch all portions of our network to failover hardware.

We're doing this now and I'll post an update when it's done (few minutes).

burris
02-25-2009, 12:30 PM
Down here as well....

burris
02-25-2009, 12:36 PM
Down here as well....

Mine just came up..

TomP
02-25-2009, 12:44 PM
Down here as well....

Me too, w/PAP2T. May be unrelated, but I noticed that my Call History in vPanel is empty.

vinnie
02-25-2009, 12:44 PM
Mine is still down, goes directly to voicemail when I dial home from my cell.
Just tried rebooting my pap2 adapter, all lights are on and I get a dial tone but am not registered in vpanel.
Vinnie

Hawkmeister
02-25-2009, 12:51 PM
ATA re-registered and is back up!