PDA

View Full Version : Distinctive tones ??

roehrle
02-08-2009, 07:39 PM
It appears to me that all 10 tones sound virtually the same.
I tried changing each one on the V panel and then called with my cell phone. My wireless phone does have a set of distinctive tones and they are really different. I take it that VOIPO isn't using those tones ?? I want only to get one distinctive tone for all my family and friends so that my wife doesn't kill herself running to answer an unsolicited call

NY Tel Guy
02-08-2009, 08:37 PM
It appears to me that all 10 tones sound virtually the same.
I tried changing each one on the V panel and then called with my cell phone. My wireless phone does have a set of distinctive tones and they are really different. I take it that VOIPO isn't using those tones ?? I want only to get one distinctive tone for all my family and friends so that my wife doesn't kill herself running to answer an unsolicited callTone # 3 is definitely different however your phone (is it a cordless?) may only react to a ringtone signal from the voipo adapter by sending out 1 ring tone to the handset. Very common occurrence.

I have hard wired phones which is why (in my instance) it works.

roehrle
02-09-2009, 08:29 AM
Yes I have a At&T cordless on phone#1. I also have a AT&T 720 on phone #2 which is not a cordless.

Xponder1
02-09-2009, 10:48 AM
I was all excited about the special tones until I realized its built in my cordless phones. I can select like 5 different tones. Does not matter what I chose from voipo because its always going to be what the phone is set to. Would be nice I guess if I used corded phones.

NY Tel Guy
02-09-2009, 11:00 AM
I was all excited about the special tones until I realized its built in my cordless phones. I can select like 5 different tones. Does not matter what I chose from voipo because its always going to be what the phone is set to. Would be nice I guess if I used corded phones.True, I alsways try to have a corded phone around the house in the event of a power failure but that only applies if you have a POTS line because if the power goes out with voip = no electricity=no TA=no dial tone which would be useless.

FYI: BestBuy has an A&T (at least in name) Trimline phone for 10.00 and is corded.

VOIPoTim
02-09-2009, 11:08 AM
With the distinctive rings, I guess the best way to describe it is that the pattern should be different. We can't actually make it different ringtones like cell phones since that's 100% dependent on the phone.

Examples:

Ringggggggg; Ringggggg, Ringggggggg

Ring Ring Ring; Ring Ring Ring

Ring Ring, Ring Ring

Short Ring, Short Ring

Etc.

It's more about the pattern, not the sound of the ring itself.

burris
02-09-2009, 11:08 AM
True, I alsways try to have a corded phone around the house in the event of a power failure but that only applies if you have a POTS line because if the power goes out with voip = no electricity=no TA=no dial tone which would be useless.

FYI: BestBuy has an A&T (at least in name) Trimline phone for 10.00 and is corded.

One of the reasons I switched from Cable to DSL is that DSL has less likelihood of going down in one of our many South Florida storms.
At the same time, I have multiple UPS backups for my modem-ATA-cordless phones-router, hoping that when the power goes out, it won't be for longer than my backups stay up..
I haven't had a land line in almost 4 years.

Xponder1
02-09-2009, 07:51 PM
I have my pc's , router ,dsl modem, ATA, and cordless phone base all plugged in back up power supplies. My pc's will shut off after 5 minutes with the software provided. With the pc's on battery wise my phone service should stay active for at least 45 minutes according to the software.

Now take in to account the fact the pc's will shut off if there is no power after 5 minutes and the amount of time probably doubles.

AT&T's hardware has batteries so it should run for awhile. If you do not have your pc on a backup power supply I strongly recommend them. They will make all your hardware last longer. They also kick in and regulate the power if it goes above a certain level aka surges or drops below a certain level.