PDA

View Full Version : Phone1 & Phone2 questions

roehrle
02-09-2009, 07:12 PM
Been doing lots of reading trying to better understand this VOIP stuff so when something goes wrong I may have a better chance of solving the problem myself.While reading a thread on devices it seems like someone was suggesting that it is possible to make a call on phone 2 while phone 1 is being used. Is this possible or did I misunderstand his statement ?
I would assume if this is possible it would be a great feature and would be publicized more by VOIPo, so I'm thinking I probably misread his remarks.

Xponder1
02-09-2009, 07:55 PM
Been doing lots of reading trying to better understand this VOIP stuff so when something goes wrong I may have a better chance of solving the problem myself.While reading a thread on devices it seems like someone was suggesting that it is possible to make a call on phone 2 while phone 1 is being used. Is this possible or did I misunderstand his statement ?
I would assume if this is possible it would be a great feature and would be publicized more by VOIPo, so I'm thinking I probably misread his remarks.

It is a cloned line so yes both ports work. Both can be used at the same time. If you dial out the caller id will show the same number from either port. If your on line 1 talking and a call comes in line 2 will ring and line one gets the call waiting beep. Either can answer and take the call.

roehrle
02-10-2009, 08:25 AM
Hi Xponder
I have already been doing what you explained. What I don't know is:
If my wife is talking to my daughter on port 1 can I dial my son on port 2 and talk to him at the same time ??
Thanks for your reply

NY Tel Guy
02-10-2009, 09:15 AM
Hi Xponder
I have already been doing what you explained. What I don't know is:
If my wife is talking to my daughter on port 1 can I dial my son on port 2 and talk to him at the same time ??
Thanks for your reply
I'll jump in here....the answer is yes. You actually have 2 separate phone lines for outgoing call purposes. The both "carry" the same caller ID so you are able to place 2 separate calls to anyone you want to speak to.
If you want to call from line to line within the house in either direction, dial ***70 and watch what happens.

For incoming, they both ring at the same time when called, can be answered on either line leaving the other line or "port" free for another call which then could be answered as simple as you picking up the phone on the other line or flashing and answering the call as a call waiting instance while engaged in the original call.

Pretty diffeent than what Verizon offered huh....lol

Hey, please continue to ask any questions you have - that's what we are here for and why Tim pays us a dollar a week as forum monitors....lol;)

roehrle
02-10-2009, 09:47 AM
Hi NY Tel Guy:
Just tried the ***70 and I get a busy tone ???

Xponder1
02-10-2009, 09:53 AM
Hi NY Tel Guy:
Just tried the ***70 and I get a busy tone ???

Do you have the Grandstram 502 or the Linksys?

roehrle
02-10-2009, 10:01 AM
I have the Linksys. This is the new one that VOIPO is sending out now.

Xponder1
02-10-2009, 10:02 AM
I have the Linksys. This is the new one that VOIPO is sending out now.

It is the Grandstream that has the feature mentioned.

VOIPoTim
02-10-2009, 10:05 AM
You can use the Lines separately, yes. That's a feature we offer.

As for as the ***70 to call the other line, that's not something we officially offer since it's device specific and just something the Grandstream devices did.

roehrle
02-10-2009, 10:12 AM
Tim:
That's a great option.. I would think you would be promoting that feature. Hope it works on the Linksys.

roehrle
02-10-2009, 10:16 AM
NY Tel Guy:
Now you have to tell me (please) what I am missing, not being able to (***70) because I have the Linksys

Xponder1
02-10-2009, 10:28 AM
NY Tel Guy:
Now you have to tell me (please) what I am missing, not being able to (***70) because I have the Linksys

Tim (the CEO) just answered your question. It is not a feature of the Linksys device. It is something built into the firmware on the Grandstream 502 ATA.

roehrle
02-10-2009, 10:33 AM
Tim (the CEO) just answered your question. It is not a feature of the Linksys device. It is something built into the firmware on the Grandstream 502 ATA.
I was just wondering what I am missing not having the 502

roehrle
02-10-2009, 10:50 AM
Ok NY tel Guy, here's a couple questions I can't find answers, so you can start earning your 1 dollar :-)
Can you get e-mail notifications when you get a response on the forum? I signed up for it in v panel but it doesn't seem to be working

How do you get the voicemail to respond so that you can hear it in your mailbox.

Why do I need to log in every time I come here even though I have the log in box checked ?

BTW I have a dry loop.. Does that effect the port 1&2 option ??

If you enter the wrong user ID for the V panel it doesn't give you an error message. It just comes back with an empty box. It only excepts my phone # but I keep forgetting and I enter my user ID that I use here. Probably something Tim needs to fix. I like to use the same user ID for both

Montano
02-10-2009, 11:38 AM
I'll assume you mean hearing voicemail via a browser, just click on the message and the .wav file should play on your computer. If it doesn't play, you may not have a .wav player installed.

Do you clear your cookies ? If so, that may be why you need to log in each time.

I don't believe a dry loop would matter with port 1&2.

vPanel has never given an error message. I also wish it would say that I am logged in, instead of returning an error.

edit: email notification of response is hit and miss with me....

By the way, when did Tim raise our pay to a dollar ? I think I'm due some back-pay !

Hawkmeister
02-10-2009, 12:46 PM
Go to page 9 of the following Grandstream user manual link..

http://www.grandstream.com/user_manuals/HT502_User_Manual.pdf

... to find the special feature.

VOIPoTim
02-10-2009, 12:48 PM
Go to page 9 of the following Grandstream user manual link..

http://www.grandstream.com/user_manuals/HT502_User_Manual.pdf

... to find the special feature.

Just keep in mind that you guys can use device specific features, but we don't support them officially at all since they're device specific.

sr98user
02-10-2009, 02:06 PM

You can call your own number and it will ring the other line.

roehrle
02-10-2009, 02:45 PM
Actually I can do that with the Linksys.. I just confirmed that I was able to make a call on Port 2 while port 1 was was active on another call. Really neat feature. Now I don't have to wait hours while my wife is on port 1..

VOIPoTim
02-10-2009, 02:52 PM
Actually I can do that with the Linksys.. I just confirmed that I was able to make a call on Port 2 while port 1 was was active on another call. Really neat feature. Now I don't have to wait hours while my wife is on port 1..

Incoming will work too.

If someone is on Line 1 and a call comes in, Line 2 will ring and Line 1 will get Call Waiting.

eagle 1
02-10-2009, 03:06 PM
I am thinking of porting over my other line also. I assume i would loose this ability if i have port 1 assigned to current number and port 2 assigned to the new number. Should I hook up two ata ht 502's or just loose the ability to have cloned ports?

What would the expert forum members and/or Tim recommend?

fisamo
02-10-2009, 03:47 PM
I am thinking of porting over my other line also. I assume i would loose this ability if i have port 1 assigned to current number and port 2 assigned to the new number. Should I hook up two ata ht 502's or just loose the ability to have cloned ports?

What would the expert forum members and/or Tim recommend?

So you have two lines now, one of which you ported to VOIPo, the other one you're considering porting in to VOIPo. How important is the second number to you? Is it important to keep the lines 'separate' so you can easily tell calls to one number from calls to the other number? Do both lines need separate outbound CallerID? (e.g. if you have a home number and a business number, you probably wouldn't want your home number sent with business calls) Can you envision needing to have more than two calls going at a time? (say, mom and child on Line 1, dad on Line 2)

I ask, because you do have some options. With the cloned line feature, you can have the same number of calls going with one line on Voipo as you have, up till now, had with two lines on your other service. If you don't need to keep the lines 'separate' (outbound CID can always be for Line 1, doesn't matter which number is dialed--anyone can answer, etc.), you could port the second line in as a virtual number. If, however, you need the lines to be truly separate, there should be no harm in having multiple adapters on your home network.

roehrle
02-10-2009, 04:12 PM

Do you clear your cookies ? If so, that may be why you need to log in each time.

!

When I log out there is a message that my cookies have been cleared. How do you prevent cookies being cleared ??

fisamo
02-10-2009, 05:57 PM
When I log out there is a message that my cookies have been cleared. How do you prevent cookies being cleared ??

If you're talking about the forum, just don't log out. Close your browser or go to another site. When you come back, you shouldn't have to log in.

NY Tel Guy
02-10-2009, 06:34 PM
Ok NY tel Guy, here's a couple questions I can't find answers, so you can start earning your 1 dollar :-)

BTW I have a dry loop.. Does that effect the port 1&2 option ??

Sorry....I was out all day but am home now. since others answered your list of questions I'll just chime in about the dry loop question.
The answer is no. The Terminal adapters all behave the same irrespective of the Internet connection. Dry loop is simply a DSL circuit on a POTS line with the telco dial tone suppressed. The "internet signal" is present on the line much like the Internet would be present on a Cable modem or even a FiOs connection. The only relationship between your Voipo line and the Dry loop DSL in that the dry loop circuit connects you to the Internet but has no effect on Voipo features and funcionality.
HTH