PDA

View Full Version : Fax machines that work with voipo

zy2000
02-09-2009, 07:13 PM
Hi,
I tried hooking up my sharp UX 106 onto linksys PAP2T and it would not send a single page. The fax machine works fine on the landline though. There's no way to lower it's baud rate nor to turn ECM off. Looks like I have to get another fax machine.

Any suggestions? which brand/model works well with voipo? Thanks a lot!

Yi

Xponder1
02-09-2009, 07:53 PM
Hi,
I tried hooking up my sharp UX 106 onto linksys PAP2T and it would not send a single page. The fax machine works fine on the landline though. There's no way to lower it's baud rate nor to turn ECM off. Looks like I have to get another fax machine.

Any suggestions? which brand/model works well with voipo? Thanks a lot!

Yi

I sent a fax using voipo the other night using my hp all in one and it worked fine.

abward
02-09-2009, 09:49 PM
Xponder1,

What speed did you set it at, and did you do anything else like turn off ECM? I will be switching from Vonage to VOIPo, as soon as my ATA arrives, and with Vonage I could not get a fax to go through even at 2400 with ECM off. I have a Canon All-In-One.

For the OP, are you looking to buy an All-In-One or a stand-alone fax machine?

I installed an HP 1040 fax machine for my sister awhile back (she has a regular POTS line), and I know you can turn ECM on and off (not sure about send/receive speed). She is happy with the HP.

IMHO, you should go with an All-In-One (with settings for ECM and speed), then you have a copier too!

stungeon
02-09-2009, 10:20 PM
I have got a Cannon MP530 that I faxed with using Voipo the other day. Here is the link:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=123&modelid=13371

zy2000
02-09-2009, 10:24 PM
i am currently receiving faxes through efax, so I only need to be able to send faxes. A cheap second hand fax machine that can send faxes reliably through voip would be nice.

christcorp
02-09-2009, 10:52 PM
depends how much you fax. If not much, then go to a pawn shop or similar and pick up and older sheet fed 9600 baud fax. I picked up a brother 9600 baud Intellifax 775 from Staples. With rebate and sale, it was $19.

Xponder1
02-10-2009, 08:01 AM
Xponder1,

What speed did you set it at, and did you do anything else like turn off ECM? I will be switching from Vonage to VOIPo, as soon as my ATA arrives, and with Vonage I could not get a fax to go through even at 2400 with ECM off. I have a Canon All-In-One.

For the OP, are you looking to buy an All-In-One or a stand-alone fax machine?

I installed an HP 1040 fax machine for my sister awhile back (she has a regular POTS line), and I know you can turn ECM on and off (not sure about send/receive speed). She is happy with the HP.

IMHO, you should go with an All-In-One (with settings for ECM and speed), then you have a copier too!

Default settings. VOIPo does not compress the signal. Worked fine. Or maybe I just got lucky... Dunno. I do not fax much.

Luv2Camp
02-10-2009, 08:18 AM
I think it depends on luck.... I have an hp and have been able to get it to work once in a while. The first time I tried it worked but after that it would take me 15-20 attempts to fax. Sometimes it would go but the receiver would be missing a page. I now use a fax to e-mail for my outgoing...

bubbanc
02-11-2009, 09:14 AM
Some fax machines have "overseas mode" which lowers the baud rate. You can also try dialing *99 then your fax number. I believe this tells the fax machine to use a slower rate.

abward
02-11-2009, 06:30 PM
FYI, I just got my adapter hooked up. I turned off ECM and set the speed to 9600, then I tried faxing from my Canon MX850 All-In-One. Send and receive both worked, several times. I could not get this to work with Vonage.

bubbanc
02-16-2009, 01:09 PM
I used to be able to send faxes semi-reliably with Viatalk but been totally unsuccessful with Voipo. I've tried tweaking SIP settings and various jitter settings with no luck. If anyone has some reliable settings, I would appreciate it. I'm using a Brother FAX-560 which will only do 9600 baud. I have a PAP2T and BYOD, so if you have a PAP2T and have been successful, screenshots would be wonderful!

OK, so I changed my preferred codec to G711u and said to only use that one, and it worked just fine. Is this ok to continue using for daily calls? My max upload is 40kbytes/s.

Ok, actually I went back to figure out exactly what the issue is. It appears that FAX detection on my PAP2T works about half the time. I attempted to send faxes and monitored the status of the calls, and noticed that when the call was detected as a fax, it never sent successfully. So, I disabled FAX detection, forced G711u as preferred codec and to only use preferred codec and the faxes then sent with no issues.

kevm
02-18-2009, 08:36 AM
for those of you using fax machines, I did not know thios could be done with voip. Do you have your fax machines into the same port as your main voipo line (ie. a splitter) or does it require use of the second port?
Thanks

bubbanc
02-18-2009, 08:37 AM
Same port with manual enable on fax machine so it doesn't answer calls.