PDA

View Full Version : vPanel Feedback/Suggestions

VOIPoTim
02-11-2009, 01:53 PM
Like the Website Feedback thread...

Now that things have settled some and we're kind of out of the "launch chaos" and into normal operation, we're going to start making some design changes to it.

What do you like/not like about it?

What would you add to it?

What could we simplify?

This thread is not meant so much for feature requests, but feel free to post those in another.

It's meant more for design feedback to see what we can clarify/simplify/arrange better.

TomP
02-11-2009, 02:05 PM
It would be nice if users could choose which vPanel page they land on when logging in. Some will want to go straight to the voicemail page, others perhaps the call log, etc.. If it's a pain to make this configurable, then perhaps allowing URLs like the following to go to their respective pages after login would suffice:

https://secure.voipo.com/features/fs_vm
https://secure.voipo.com/call_log

As it is, if I use either of these URLs when I'm not already logged in, it gives me the login dialog followed by the "Welcome to vPanel!" page:

https://secure.voipo.com/

I'd rather go to the actual URL I specified after it logs me in. Thanks for considering.

dlangley
02-11-2009, 04:11 PM
First, I would move voicemail and devices to the main page since neither of them are features. Also, seperate the voice mail config options from the main voice mail inbox.

Next, I would like to suggest a voicemail portal where family members can log in to check voicemail by using the voicemail pin and not the main portal password. The portal could be kept nice and simple so that it also works on moble phones as well.

Smiles
02-11-2009, 04:38 PM
Better highlighting when moving over a tab. It should be visually distinct when you mouse over the tab and when you are actively on a page that is within that tab.

Any indicator at all (change of background color, something) when selecting a sub-menu (like "Create Group" in the Contacts tab).

When you select a tab with no other information (like Preferences), the page should at least encourage the user to choose one of the sub-menu items. Even the "Welcome to vPanel!" should direct the user to choose from one of the tabs.

When you select the Features tab, you have a page with Basic Features to choose from. You can't get back to that page without clicking the Features tab. There should be a "Basic features" sub-menu item. Clicking the parent tab is not a good way to navigate.

Along the same lines, the Contacts tab should have a sub-menu item for "View Contacts", or at least something to make it clear where you are.

Make lists sorted in some fashion. I can't make sense of how anything is sorted on most pages. Viewing a contact's locations is not sorted by location or phone number, for example. Call routes, same thing.

Speaking of call routes, sometimes "*" is replaced with [0-9], and sometimes it isn't.

You can't pick a group for incoming call routes without choosing a different selection in the dropdown first.

Add help to most pages. I have no idea what "Blacklist" means in incoming call routes compared to "Disconnected" or "Busy signal".

Use more radio buttons and less dropdown boxes. On the Basic Features page, for example, I have to select the dropdown before I even know what my choices are.

Call history lists phone numbers, and replaces some with text ("Voicemail"). It should also replace known contact name/locations in there.

Change Call History to be more consistent with the other tabs. Instead of having a separate "All", "Incoming" and "Outgoing" in sub-tabs, make them sub-menu items directly beneath the Call History tab.

Please add "0" to the Duration field in Call History. It looks very strange to see durations of "7.5", then "0." or "7.". The last two should read "0.0" and "7.0". Right-aligning that number would also be nice.

"vPanel" and "VPanel" are used inconsistently. The titlebar and "Powered by" say "VPanel", but the welcome message and this thread refer to is as "vPanel".

dlangley
02-11-2009, 07:36 PM
In the call history can we get some call totals? We have a 3000 minute a month soft cap which isnt a big deal but it would be a good thing to be able to see a total for the month and even the day since the list is sorted by date in reverse order.

Also when searching the history, can you make it so we can search for partial numbers? I needed to search for a number but I only knew part of it and I ended up having to manually type in the hole number.
also, I could be wrong but I dont believe unknown calls show up in the history either.

Xponder1
02-11-2009, 10:28 PM
* Call Logs are currently under going maintenance, searching feature will resume shortly! has to go LOL. It has been there like a week. :p

Ok seriously now first I would update the copy right to 2009. Then I would recommend some basic instructions and/or a description of what your looking at.

Teleblock page for example all it says is submit for inclusion. Put your number in and it does not do anything as far as I can tell. I mean your number does not show up under it and there is no way to remove it. No directions at all for it.

Virtual numbers lets get some more states in there (I checked and more states are listed when you go to order a new account so why do they not show up in Vpanel). Some info on that page about what a virtual number is and how it may benefit someone would be nice. Some instructions on signing up. A few people like myself my decide they have no use for it if they understand it and not use it.

Fax page lets add the pricing info.

Call history page if you set it to only display the current days calls by default it should speed up the page load time and decrease the server load. Maybe add like a calendar that you click the day on the pages for All, Incoming, and Outgoing to display that days information only.

Off topic but simul ring if it has not already been looked into could we have the issue looked into where if its enabled voicemail does not work anymore? I love that feature but can not use it if voicemail is not going to function. Until it is resolved adding a warning that this will disable voicemail might save you from support tickets or some people from the frustration of figuring it out on their own.

Again just add some descriptions and instructions to the features ect.

ksarpong
02-12-2009, 12:06 AM
Block Caller ID (All Calls) should be included under Basic Features. *30 does not work on PAP2T.

KenH
02-12-2009, 04:31 AM
From my earlier posts in another topic:

Features tab be the default tab displayed after logon to vPanel (or make it user selectable as other poster suggested). I don't think it is necessary to view the blank page with Welcome to Vpanel! each time.

Allow destinations to be created for call-forwarding as they are for simul-ring.

buckethead
02-12-2009, 08:18 AM
Just adding to one of the previous posters comments about voicemail - take it out from features and add it to the front page - at least the inbox portion so can view and play messages from front page. Keep the settings in with the features, but allow access to the messages from the front page instead of going 3 deep in a menu.

Also maybe a pop up confirming the message should be deleted. And maybe a trash box for deleted voicemails instead of completly deleting them keeping them for 30 days or so? Not sure if that would be a website request or feature request though.

zevin
02-12-2009, 03:36 PM
Ok seriously now first I would update the copy right to 2009.

This has been discussed. Perhaps you remember. (http://forums.voipo.com/showthread.php?p=7885#post7885);) I will admit it does seem strange and the majority of people figure that the content is old and dated if the copyright date is not of the current year.

I do like your calendar suggestion for the call log.

Smiles
02-12-2009, 04:24 PM
Block Caller ID (All Calls) should be included under Basic Features. *30 does not work on PAP2T.

Have you tried *67? Because *67 does line blocking on my PAP2T, not per-call blocking (or it appears to).

ksarpong
02-12-2009, 05:57 PM
Yes, I've tried *67 per line blocking on PAP2T. It works just fine. However, *30 all call blocking does not work. Anyway, I've put in a ticket to get it looked into.

VOIPoDylan
02-12-2009, 06:09 PM
Yes, I've tried *67 per line blocking on PAP2T. It works just fine. However, *30 all call blocking does not work. Anyway, I've put in a ticket to get it looked into.

Some codes match the ht502 star codes, but not all. We'll soon be releasing the official pap2t star codes. Note the star codes here (http://forums.voipo.com/showthread.php?t=1061) are specifically for the ht502 and are considered beta still.

Huffy
02-12-2009, 09:55 PM
In the call history can we get some call totals? We have a 3000 minute a month soft cap which isnt a big deal but it would be a good thing to be able to see a total for the month and even the day since the list is sorted by date in reverse order.

+1 on the call totals in the call history.

I signed up (recently) with the intent to go BYOD at some point. But I want to monitor my 14 year old daughter's usage before I take that plunge. I want to see how close we come to 3000. So totals would be nice.

David

fisamo
02-12-2009, 10:37 PM
Several suggestions (please take them as constructive criticism!) :

1. When you log into the site, you can keep the 'Welcome to vPanel!' but add a robust dashboard. The dashboard should include information such as (up to 5) most recent voicemails left (with name, number, time/date, and message duration, and link to listen), a digest of feature status (DND on/off, Forwarding on (& destination)/off, etc. Beneath these, an excerpt from call logs would be nice--such as calls from today, or from this week (perhaps give the option to set that in the vPanel preferences?).

2. Voicemail should have its own tab. If you're concerned about real estate, consider moving Contacts into the Features section. If Voicemail has its own tab, the text of the tab should indicate how many new messages are in the inbox. The sub-menus for the Voicemail tab would be Messages and Settings--I agree with the earlier post that it makes sense to put the settings on a separate page from the messages.

3. There should be obvious links to the support and billing websites, perhaps a help tab? If no new tab, perhaps one of the sub-menus under Preferences? Auto-login to the other sites would be superb, but I understand that's not in the plans for this iteration of your billing software.

4. Please, PLease, PLEASE!!! Replace most of your dropdown boxes with either radio buttons or checkboxes. Dropdown boxes are best used when there are numerous (say, 4 or more) options to choose from. For 3 options, radio buttons are nice, for 2 options (on/off, enabled/disabled), both checkboxes and radio buttons work well. Radio buttons and checkboxes are easier to navigate than dropdown boxes and should be used when possible.

5. DOCUMENTATION! (Sorry to yell--it just came out, and I couldn't stop it. :p ) You really need to explain what each feature is, how it will affect phone service, etc. Your telemarketer block feature is a neat concept, but it's not explained at all (aside from possibly in the alpha forums, which doesn't do new users much good). Call Routes make good sense to VoIP nerds like all of your beta testers (myself included), but to the average new user, it's not clear just what they do or how powerful they can be.

6. Contacts! I've ranted about your entry system for contacts in the Alpha forums, and I still don't like it. Just use a simple form that has last name, first name, nickname (displayed on CID unit), and room for 6 phone numbers. Whether you pre-label those numbers (home, work, mobile, fax, pager, other) or allow free-form labels to be entered by customers (as you do now) is up to you. If you want to allow more than 6 numbers per Contact entry, give the user the option to increase fields (similar to creating an IVR or designating outbound trunks in FreePBX).

7. I'll echo the previous posts (whether in this thread or others) about accessibility and colorblindness. I'm not colorblind, but if you're going to toggle items green/red for active/inactive, why not add the word next to it, as you did for SMS controls?

When I think of more, I'll be back. :eek: (I haven't decided if that's a threat or a promise.)

KenH
02-13-2009, 06:22 AM
I thought of another suggestion. Not on vPanel, but in the ticket submission process.

After entering either a new ticket or replying to an existing one, the user sees "post reply" above the entry form and "submit", below. I found this confusing and, initially, kept clicking on "post reply", which was incorrect.

Edit: Definitely integrate all three sites: Billing & Support, Forum, & vPanel.

barryg
02-20-2009, 03:34 PM
Teleblock page for example all it says is submit for inclusion. Put your number in and it does not do anything as far as I can tell. I mean your number does not show up under it and there is no way to remove it. No directions at all for it.
As it stands, the Teleblock feature is inscrutable. I suggest removing this feature, or else explaining it clearly.

The feature I really need is a personal list of incoming numbers to block that I can edit (and SEE).

VOIPoTim
02-20-2009, 04:07 PM
As it stands, the Teleblock feature is inscrutable. I suggest removing this feature, or else explaining it clearly.

The feature I really need is a personal list of incoming numbers to block that I can edit (and SEE).

You can block numbers for your account under Features - Call Routes.

scott2020
02-20-2009, 08:14 PM
I would agree with previous posts about the contacts. It is pretty confusing and took me some trial and error to get right. Also, the first time I go into call routes, the default "group" is selected. But, no option is available for doing something with "group" until you select something else from the drop down like "contact" and then go back to group. After that, you can see your groups and select one.

Brody
02-24-2009, 09:06 PM
I'll echo the other requests for Voicemail to be in it's own tab. Why not move E911 under features,as this is a "set it once" kinda deal, and put Voicemail there?

joeunc
02-25-2009, 06:48 AM
the ability to take a call from call log and add a contact/custom caller ID. Essentially make one of the choices when you click on the number take you right to contacts/custom caller id and let you add them on the fly.

barryg
03-02-2009, 03:03 PM
You can block numbers for your account under Features - Call Routes.
Thanks! I tried creating an incoming call route type "phone number" with call route action "busy" and it works.

There is a small bug in your Vpanel Incoming Routes table display. Only the first 6 out of 7 digits of a local phone number are displayed. The blocking works, but the VPanel display truncates the last digit. If you enter a full 10 digit number with area code, the entire 10 digits are displayed in the table.

There also doesn't seem to be anyway to fill the Name field of the Incoming Routes table entry unless the entry is added from the Contacts list which really doesn't make sense.

usa2k
03-02-2009, 09:14 PM
I would expect inbound routing always to be 10 digits.
If you have less, it might partial match something else ... maybe?
I know I also have for my 734-437-xxxx number with 734* routing as a white list.
I block unknown numbers but this route lets local calls (like a doctor's office) through.
I expect the * ensures the 734 is the first of 10 digits.

I bet they have not considered routing a 7 digit number.

barryg
03-04-2009, 09:05 AM
I bet they have not considered routing a 7 digit number.
Yes, it looks like you're correct in this. As in too many areas of the VPanel, there are zero directions or entry constraints on what you can enter for a routing number. And a 7-digit number actually works even if it's not displayed correctly! But bottom line is don't do it.

Xponder1
03-05-2009, 01:32 PM
How about adding a link you can click that shows your the last 7 days connection information for your devices. Would help with troubleshooting issues.

sommerfeld
04-22-2009, 04:35 PM
What do you like/not like about it?

First impressions (just signed up, don't have the TA yet):

1) Navigation is inefficient & confusing.

Way too little on the first page. Can you expand all the sub-tabs and let you click directly to a sub-menu selection?

2) too many cryptic buttons. Voicemail's "Update MWI"?
(took me a while to figure out "message waiting indicator"), plus "Remove" and "Move" buttons hanging out in the right margin. move/remove what? messages? mailboxes?

Xponder1
05-04-2009, 10:42 PM
Features tab
Contacts Call Routes Fax Devices Virtual Numbers Preferences Tele Block

If you click Contacts or Preferences all that goes away. On all the other options those links remain. I would like to suggest making them stay on those as well.

Maybe move Create Group on Contacts down to the page.

usa2k
05-14-2009, 06:17 AM
Can the login time be longer again?
Can this be a preference setting?
(I would like 24 hours - I'm used to always being logged in, until recently.)

burris
05-14-2009, 06:46 AM

I second your thoughts..

Just recently, the login seems to be required almost every time. I liked the old way better..

VOIPoJustin
05-14-2009, 07:56 AM

We'll look in to adjusting this soon -- the default session expiration time probably needs to be re-adjusted since doing some web server upgrades.

VOIPoJustin
05-14-2009, 01:01 PM
Call history lists phone numbers, and replaces some with text ("Voicemail"). It should also replace known contact name/locations in there.

We have had a handful of requests for this feature, and just implemented it today.

'Call History' will now list the textual representation of the number if one exists in your 'vPanel Contacts'. We'll be adding a few more tweaks, fixes, and updates to the 'Call History' area in the coming days based on other related VOIPo member feedback.

usa2k
05-19-2009, 04:21 PM
(I would like 24 hours - I'm used to always being logged in, until recently.)It seems longer now. Thank you! :)

usa2k
05-19-2009, 04:24 PM
Another vPanel though.
Rename "Order a New Fax Account" to "Order a New Inbound Fax Account"

Xponder1
05-20-2009, 08:48 AM
Another vPanel though.
Rename "Order a New Fax Account" to "Order a New Inbound Fax Account"

I approve this request. :p
Well..... he does make a very good point.

Xponder1
06-10-2009, 09:55 PM
Would it be possible in the call log to have it strip dialing codes like *67?
Also, I (like others) have speed dials setup so I dial like 05# to call my mother. Would it be possible to get it to return the actual number dialed instead of the speed dial number (in my example it shows up as 05). So then it would either show the number dialed or if it matches a contact the contact name.

Edit- Also how about making it so the call log page defaults to just the last day or last 24 hours worth of calls? As it is now its pretty slow and must be quite a load on your database servers.

MisterEd
12-08-2009, 08:18 PM
Definitely need easily accessible help for all the features.

kbuck320
12-09-2009, 01:10 PM
Definitely need easily accessible help for all the features.

Cosign. There are just too many functions in vPanel that I have no idea what they do, and with no help screens, you are lost.

That's the main reason I don't refer other people to Voipo.

bighawk
12-26-2009, 09:24 PM
Hello,
I am having some inconvenience with Call Routes and Contact GROUPS.
I could not find anyone posting about this (unless I am doing something wrong):
1) in the Incoming Routes page you chose a GROUP to block, and add it. the system takes every entry from the group and expands it into individual rules.
2) if you were to add another number to that group, you would have to follow up with re-adding the same group to the Incoming Routes list.

it would be nice not to perform re-adding to the Inbound Routes every time you make a change to your groups. can a group stay as group in the Incoming Routes and not expand into individual numbers?

holmes4
02-06-2010, 06:32 PM
I am a new Voipo user - haven't even received my adapter yet. But I do have some suggestions for the control panel.

As someone else already noted, help on every page and for every item should be available. Many of the options leave me guessing as to what they do (I guess I'll have to search for info on the telemarketer block.)

I would also like to see a link to the Knowledge Base, Support and just generally to voipo.com. I found it strange that there was no way to "leave" the control panel once in it.

russhw
04-13-2010, 04:18 AM
import of contacts would be nice. ;)

stevech
04-13-2010, 11:15 PM
Contacts has only groups "Family" and "Friends", right?
Need "Work" or "Job" or some such, maybe several categories, as does the contacts for my cell and office PBX.

Yes, import contacts from outloook and/or Google.

usa2k
04-14-2010, 01:45 AM
https://secure.voipo.com/contacts/groups
Create more groups?

stevech
04-14-2010, 01:24 PM
Thanks. Duuu, I overlooked "Create Group" - teeny in the UI

spolkyc
04-22-2010, 11:38 PM
import of contacts would be nice. ;)

+1
Yes that would be great

Also I noticed the tag on the "Create Group" screen is "Create Group" not "Create Contact" which would take you back a level.

VOIPOinTN
07-17-2010, 07:48 AM
As a new user, having a help function or "mouse over" descriptions of functions would be helpful.

gadget
07-18-2010, 01:17 PM
As a new user, having a help function or "mouse over" descriptions of functions would be helpful.

Amen.

As a new user, I too found the features and functions difficult to setup due to a lack of information. For example, I found the Simul Ring very difficult to implement because there was no explanation of what the different settings actually did (or should I say how they're implemented). I spent over an hour using trial and error on the settings to figure out how they work. I'm still not sure I've got the "best" setup, but it was good enough to quit messing with it.

I also found the User Interface difficult to navigate because once again the features and functions are not clear. There are still a number of options and settings that I don't know what they do or what they're for.

How about an instruction manual explaining the features/functions AND providing some examples/scenarios implementing them?

As for the User Interface, at the very least you need to implement some tool-tips (mouse over information pop-up) and a help system.

I don't recommend keeping the current navigation setup with the two-tier horizontal navigation. The tabs are fine, but if you're going to keep the second tier horizontal sub menu (navy blue bar), then at the very least have a graphcis person do some work to distinguish the navigation items. The blue bar looks more like a graphic visual break than an active navigation element.

Of course, that's just my opinion...

Seriously though, a set of instructions would've saved me considerable time setting up my account. Hopefully, that's in the works! ;)

4plus3vette
07-19-2010, 01:23 PM
I am a new user too and I would like to see an instruction manual. In another post somewhere on this forum, the VOIPO people have said that they are nearing completion on a user guide/manual.

TomP
08-27-2010, 02:44 PM
+1 on request for Import of Contacts (by vCard, CSV, etc). This would be a real time-saver.

adrienqa66
09-24-2010, 03:43 PM
Just a thought...

Perhaps you could make it an option at some point to allow users to opt-in to see the beta (by going to secure.voipo.com/beta or something)... obviously when the beta is able to be productive.

The user wouldn't have to switch between interfaces either; it could just be a separate section to visit. I think this would be great if possible because then further feedback could be gathered.

Thanks!

VOIPoTim
09-24-2010, 09:22 PM
Just a thought...

Perhaps you could make it an option at some point to allow users to opt-in to see the beta (by going to secure.voipo.com/beta or something)... obviously when the beta is able to be productive.

The user wouldn't have to switch between interfaces either; it could just be a separate section to visit. I think this would be great if possible because then further feedback could be gathered.

Thanks!

The new version is already running on a special URL which any user could login to if they have it. We just haven't posted it yet as we're still wrapping up some cosmetic things in it.

What we're going to do is run both for a while, so the old faithful one will still be available, but users can opt to use the new one by logging in at another URL. That way if something isn't working in the new one, there's always the old one to fall back on.

Then once it's been out a few months and any issues addressed, we'll drop the old one.

usa2k
09-25-2010, 11:54 AM
Perhaps add a link to both versions from within the vPanel?

adrienqa66
09-30-2010, 02:45 PM
I'm very much looking forward to having a link to the new vPanel so I can try it out! Do you have any idea when a link might be provided to users so that we can try out the new design, even if it's in beta?

Thanks!

ki4zbo
11-27-2010, 09:44 AM
The new version is already running on a special URL which any user could login to if they have it. We just haven't posted it yet as we're still wrapping up some cosmetic things in it.

What we're going to do is run both for a while, so the old faithful one will still be available, but users can opt to use the new one by logging in at another URL. That way if something isn't working in the new one, there's always the old one to fall back on.

Then once it's been out a few months and any issues addressed, we'll drop the old one.

And that link would be?

adrienqa66
12-24-2010, 01:14 PM
Any new information regarding the new vPanel?

LoadStar
02-24-2011, 07:32 PM
*crickets* Anything yet?

ctaranto
07-19-2011, 10:56 AM
Ok. Five more months. Anything?

ctaranto
11-14-2011, 11:49 AM

Are there that many issues that need to be addressed? :)

-Craig

ctaranto
12-02-2011, 08:30 AM
Tim, are you still with us?

djrobx
01-22-2012, 12:00 PM
One thing I find confusing about the vPanel pages is that I don't have access to help/support from there. I can configure features but can't learn how to use them. If I want to know that, I have to go back out to the main sales page, then to the "Support" tab to get to the list of star codes and such. What's worse, there IS a "Support" tab within vPanel, but instead of giving me support options, it shows me past support TICKETS. A tab with the exact same name does something completely different in the sales page!

Generally I expect to see sales/promotional material on a main page. Once I sign in, I want to see everything relevant to me as an existing customer: Settings, features, help and support.

So my suggestion is to add support info to the support tab. :)