PDA

View Full Version : how do you check on number porting status

kevm
02-13-2009, 08:31 AM
Is there a way to check on the status of a number you are having ported to VOIPo..?? I am trying to keep track so I know when I can cancel service and maybe delete my virtual number

Thanks

fisamo
02-13-2009, 08:50 AM
Depending on your 'losing provider' you may not have to cancel the service upon completion of the port. Your best bet to confirm where your number is pointed is simply to call it. (IIRC, CallVantage will disconnect your service automatically. However, once you have confirmed the port has gone through and incoming calls are going directly to your voipo line, you can always call CV customer service and confirm that your account is terminated.)

You can always submit a ticket and ask if they have a port date confirmed yet.

eagle 1
02-13-2009, 06:22 PM
Yea, I have been waiting on port from ATT Land line since last week of January. Got an email from Voipo Support on 2/4 that stated

"Your request to port xxxxxxxxxx to VoIPo has been processed. Within just a few short days, you should be receiving calls on your new VoIPo account."

Still waiting.. I have another line to move over to Voipo, but did not want to move it over until i could verify the service and numbers would port over....Sure has been an eventful test!

kevm
02-15-2009, 10:57 AM
I just was able to log in to my ATTCV account, so it isn't done yet

usa2k
02-16-2009, 04:34 AM
I can still log into my Vonage account, from 2003, so that may not be any proof! Granted, the menus are reduced to mostly call logs ... since I had canceled.

NY Tel Guy
02-16-2009, 06:35 PM
I just was able to log in to my ATTCV account, so it isn't done yetAt&T will block access from your control by phone dial in number up to 48 hours after the port but the two are mutually exclusive.
You could port and still be able to place calls from CV until they "pull the plug" on your account.
When your TA gives you a fast busy instead of dial tone, you can safely assume you are done with them.
They are good about automatically canceling your account AFTER it ports. If you had the account longer than a year, you may keep the TA as a paperweight. If you are due a partial month refund, you will get it no later than 4 months after cancellation.

kevm
02-18-2009, 08:39 AM
At&T will block access from your control by phone dial in number up to 48 hours after the port but the two are mutually exclusive.
You could port and still be able to place calls from CV until they "pull the plug" on your account.
When your TA gives you a fast busy instead of dial tone, you can safely assume you are done with them.
They are good about automatically canceling your account AFTER it ports. If you had the account longer than a year, you may keep the TA as a paperweight. If you are due a partial month refund, you will get it no later than 4 months after cancellation.

I think I had my TA a year today and the port does not appear to be done. So when its done, I guess I can keep the TA..and maybe use it here. The ATA from ATTCV is decent.

Thanks

fisamo
02-18-2009, 11:02 AM
I think I had my TA a year today and the port does not appear to be done. So when its done, I guess I can keep the TA..and maybe use it here. The ATA from ATTCV is decent.

Thanks
Even with ATTCV shuttering their service, don't expect them to unlock the devices. You probably have a paperweight on your hands. :(

NY Tel Guy
02-18-2009, 11:04 AM
Even with ATTCV shuttering their service, don't expect them to unlock the devices. You probably have a paperweight on your hands. :(You are probably right. I have the latest and greatest SIP device from AT&T and I just put it in the box and then in the garage for oxidation......;)

VOIPoTim
02-18-2009, 09:22 PM
The new "Porting Center" is almost ready to roll. Assuming all goes well with touchups/testing, we'll launch it next week.

kevinj
04-05-2009, 07:12 PM
Too bashful to start my own thread ...

Either Kevm or one of the other posters who ported from ATT CV to Voipo seemed to suggest that it took ATT CV over a month to "let go" ...

:eek: I hope I am MIS-reading that! :eek:

I did not request a new number with my new Voipo service, but I have both CV and Voipo hooked up and live to different phones ... so I will know that the porting has completed when the "other phone" rings.

I guess I will also get a heads-up email from Voipo (and maybe one from CV).

But -- any comments from CV refugees on HOW LONG CV will drag their feet and make me pay for two services?

BTW -- so far, my Voipo experience has been superb ... but admittedly, I have used the line sparingly.

kevinj
04-06-2009, 06:56 AM
BTW ... was talking to ATT Wireless folks on Saturday ... need to port a couple of different numbers TO them for a family plan ...

They say that porting takes about three hours. :confused:

She then went on to say that she usually "schedules the port" (HUH?) for the day after the scheduled delivery of the cellphone.

And that it did not matter whether the number was coming FROM ATT CV or Verizon Wireless (I've got one of each going to ATT WS).

She made it sound like she actually had control over the process. But my Voipo port seems to be more like "at the whim and behest of the losing provider" (my quotes, :p).

Just curious if any of us knows why there's a difference. I have service,and I am patient!

fisamo
04-06-2009, 07:36 AM
BTW ... was talking to ATT Wireless folks on Saturday ... need to port a couple of different numbers TO them for a family plan ...

They say that porting takes about three hours. :confused:

She then went on to say that she usually "schedules the port" (HUH?) for the day after the scheduled delivery of the cellphone.

And that it did not matter whether the number was coming FROM ATT CV or Verizon Wireless (I've got one of each going to ATT WS).

She made it sound like she actually had control over the process. But my Voipo port seems to be more like "at the whim and behest of the losing provider" (my quotes, :p).

Just curious if any of us knows why there's a difference. I have service,and I am patient!

The key word in your post is "Wireless". Porting among POTS (landline) numbers (VoIP providers use the same system) generally takes several days. When the Wireless carriers were required to offer LNP, they developed a more efficient system to handle the porting requests. If you go into a wireless store requesting a new line (with port in) and buy the phone on the spot, the port is almost always complete that day (if not in an hour or less).

IIRC, the wireline/VoIP providers typically port within 2 weeks, but YMMV.

kevinj
04-06-2009, 04:13 PM
Doesn't make sense that ATT CV can drag its feet on releasing a port to Voipo but not on a port to TMobile ...

But I accept it as the truth ...

And ... btw ... THANKS for the insight!

NY Tel Guy
04-06-2009, 06:22 PM
Doesn't make sense that ATT CV can drag its feet on releasing a port to Voipo but not on a port to TMobile ...

But I accept it as the truth ...

And ... btw ... THANKS for the insight!As Fisamo mentioned, Verizon Wireless developed a system for the wireless carriers that allows them to port cell-to-cell almost instantly. Their standard process was adopted as the gold standard.
Now if you try to port from a landline or even voipo to a cell, it can take up to a few days according to sources very close to me because that same system is not in place for those types of ports.

usa2k
04-06-2009, 06:29 PM
FWIW: Vonage to Sprint was 10 business days for me a year or so ago.

ctaranto
01-12-2010, 11:37 AM
I've been waiting a month for a port from VoicePulse to VOIPo. I keep re-opening a ticket with support to check on the status, which then keeps getting closed down again with "we'll request more info". I initially received an email stating it would be ported on Dec 29. Then a few days later, an email saying it would be ported on Dec 30. Then I was notified that those are estimates. Though the word estimate doesn't appear in them, it's titled "VOIPo Number Porting - Transfer Date Finalized", and contains "On 12-29-2009 (exact transfer date was set by the losing carrier), your phone number (xxx-xxx-xxxx) will be completely transferred to the VOIPo Network (typically ~ 11:30AM CST)."

I'm paying for two services now, plus the "free-for-30-days virtual number" (that I'm using to forward to from VoicePulse until the port) expires in a few days, so I'll be paying for that as well.

-Craig