PDA

View Full Version : Blocked/Restricted numbers and Custom CallerID

bubbanc
02-15-2009, 02:42 PM
When I was with another provider, I was able to add custom caller ID entries for Restricted/Blocked numbers, and the custom caller ID information would show up (most of the time) when the caller called us instead of Blocked. I noticed that things did not work this way with voipo and asked and the said that they cannot support that. I'm just wondering why this worked and what would be required to support it with Voipo. The blocked number is a POTS line with Embarq. For now, I've just programmed in our number with the unblock code before it.

VOIPoTim
02-15-2009, 02:53 PM
Our current setup handles incoming differently than ViaTalk, so it's just not really possible.

With ViaTalk, they have the calls directly going to their SIP servers and have the full headers, etc.

With our setup, incoming calls go to core routing servers to be normalized and then sent to the appropriate SIP server based on where they customer is registered dynamically. So the SIP servers themselves where the features are handled don't have the raw headers from the original call to work with.

Our method is a lot more scalable, but there are definitely cons to it like this as well.

bubbanc
02-15-2009, 03:05 PM
Thanks for the explanation. Definitely a con for me since this keeps me from restricting other blocked callers since I can't single out the ones I want to keep without requiring them to do something on the calling parties end. Still, the call quality is enough of a pro with comparing the service with ViaTalk, so I guess I'll learn to deal :)