PDA

View Full Version : Unified VM setup?

frankd1
02-17-2009, 12:41 AM
I've been a longtime CV user, and am now in the process of porting to VOIPo. I've been extremely impressed with VOIPo (thus my decision to port), but it's understandably going to take a while for VOIPo to match/beat some competitor bells and whistles (which I'm confident it will).

One CV feature I'm missing is having a single VM box for home and cell. With CV, if I wanted, I would enable Locate Me (behaves like simulring) to ring my cell, and use the confirm option (press "1" after answering the incoming Locate Me call to actually connect the call) to prevent my cell VM from grabbing the call if I didn't answer (thus the CV VM would grab the call).

I'm sure the VOIPo simulring will eventually have similar functionality. In the meantime, it looks like my best bet for mimicking the feature would be to set up a virtual number with a VM box, set the ring count to zero/one, and then program my cell to roll busy/no-answers to the virtual # instead of the cell VM system. Then, as with CV, I can forward calls to my cell when needed. It's not a true unified mailbox, but I get the same SMS notifications and emailed .wav attachments, and generally the same message retrieval process.

My questions to the gallery are:
-Will it work close to how I've described it? Is there a better way to mimic the feature?
-Does the MWI trip on virtual # VM boxes, or only on the main line VM box?
-Any other questions/comments/suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Frank

Montano
02-17-2009, 06:26 AM
Dialing to the virtual number mailbox is quite an adventure. It's not as simple as 123#
You must first dial the virtual phone number, then you must interrupt the greeting with the * key, and then you have to enter your password.
You do get SMS and email with .wav, and the WMI light does not come on for me.