PDA

View Full Version : Database Issue - ~2PM Central

VOIPoTim
02-19-2009, 02:52 PM
We just had a short database issue about an hour ago which was corrected quickly.

It could have potentially caused some devices to lose registration (load related). Registrations seem to have dropped about 5% during that window, so it's not many at all but I'm sure some of you could have been in that.

Your device should re-register automatically, but if it did not, go ahead and reboot it.

This database would not have affected anything else besides registrations.

We're still waiting for answers from Grandstream as to why these devices aren't re-registering. Of the 5% that seem to have dropped it's nearly all Grandstreams. The PAP2s seem to have all re-registered immediately.

We've stopped sending out HT502s entirely except in special cases where they user needs the router functionality just for this reason.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

VOIPoTim
02-19-2009, 03:10 PM
Just to clarify, this was not a database failure. It was a network issue within the datacenter that houses the core database servers for SIP registrations that prevented our SIP servers from accessing it.

sr98user
02-19-2009, 03:43 PM
Like I said in another thread, GS ATA is not sending any data to the SIP server. I saw no traffic for about 5-10 minutes before I rebooted.

After I rebooted, I see the following packets 3 times every 30 seconds. Is this okay.

16:29:53.443496 10.10.x.x 74.52.58.50 SIP Request: SUBSCRIBE sip:4192229649@sip.voipwelcome.com
16:29:53.534130 74.52.58.50 10.10.x.x SIP Status: 100 Trying
16:29:53.543766 74.52.58.50 10.10.x.x SIP Status: 489 Bad Event

I also see REGISTER packets that are successful.

VOIPoLukeBotha
02-19-2009, 04:18 PM
Hi sr98user,

You're seeing that 489 Error because we aren't sending a Subscription packet back to you. The reason we have enabled subscription packets is to assure there's a steady connection to the server and your device at all times.

VOIPoTim
02-19-2009, 06:36 PM
Like I said in another thread, GS ATA is not sending any data to the SIP server. I saw no traffic for about 5-10 minutes before I rebooted.

After I rebooted, I see the following packets 3 times every 30 seconds. Is this okay.

16:29:53.443496 10.10.x.x 74.52.58.50 SIP Request: SUBSCRIBE sip:4192229649@sip.voipwelcome.com
16:29:53.534130 74.52.58.50 10.10.x.x SIP Status: 100 Trying
16:29:53.543766 74.52.58.50 10.10.x.x SIP Status: 489 Bad Event

I also see REGISTER packets that are successful.

Yes. The Grandstreams log a "Segmentation Fault" or "Internal Server Error" when they do this which should definitely not be happening.

NY Tel Guy
02-19-2009, 06:46 PM
Yes. The Grandstreams log a "Segmentation Fault" or "Internal Server Error" when they do this which should definitely not be happening.
I just read this thread now, checked and my 502 was not registered. I re-booted and now it is. Guess I was finally part of the failure chain......;)

fisamo
02-19-2009, 07:01 PM
So which server should we be registering to? I only ask, because I had been registered with sip.voipwelcome.com until a few days ago, when Tim asked me why I wasn't registered... Since then, I've been registered on central01 without a hitch. Going under the assumption that provisioned users are still being pointed at sip.voipwelcome.com, I occasionally point my trunk back to that server, and it does not register. Since everything works fine on central01, I have no problem leaving things as is... Just wondering.

VOIPoTim
02-19-2009, 07:02 PM
So which server should we be registering to? I only ask, because I had been registered with sip.voipwelcome.com until a few days ago, when Tim asked me why I wasn't registered... Since then, I've been registered on central01 without a hitch. Going under the assumption that provisioned users are still being pointed at sip.voipwelcome.com, I occasionally point my trunk back to that server, and it does not register. Since everything works fine on central01, I have no problem leaving things as is... Just wondering.

Central01 is already in the new datacenter. You should be fine with either.

NY Tel Guy
02-19-2009, 07:04 PM
So which server should we be registering to? I only ask, because I had been registered with sip.voipwelcome.com until a few days ago, when Tim asked me why I wasn't registered... Since then, I've been registered on central01 without a hitch. Going under the assumption that provisioned users are still being pointed at sip.voipwelcome.com, I occasionally point my trunk back to that server, and it does not register. Since everything works fine on central01, I have no problem leaving things as is... Just wondering.Just checked and I am registered to sip.voipowelcome.com.

Interesting observation you made. This is the first time my adapter failed to register.

Oh well, tomorrow is my Birthday so everyone send cash, not gift cards because they are becoming useless.:p

HelpNYC
02-19-2009, 07:59 PM
Same here.. Re-booted and working again in the NYC area.

I just read this thread now, checked and my 502 was not registered. I re-booted and now it is. Guess I was finally part of the failure chain......;)

burris
02-19-2009, 08:14 PM
Just checked and I am registered to sip.voipowelcome.com.

Interesting observation you made. This is the first time my adapter failed to register.

Oh well, tomorrow is my Birthday so everyone send cash, not gift cards because they are becoming useless.:p

Putting everything else aside...HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

myvoip07
02-19-2009, 11:42 PM
Same here.. Rebooted and working again.

Interestingly i received an e-mail on Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 7:58 PM with a subject : "VOIPo Service Alert" and that's how i come to know that my HT502 didn't reconnect again after the issue.

I am impressed by the e-mail alert, that is a cool thing. Thanks.

Kaelin
02-20-2009, 08:16 AM
Now I question my decision to wait for sign-up until the 502s came in. Maybe should have went ahead and ordered the PAP2T. Oh well. At least it's good to see a company so active in support.

ralfaro
02-20-2009, 10:21 AM
FYI, my GrandStream must have been one of those. I left the house yesterday some time after 2:15 or so and didn't come back home until very late. I didn't realize it was not registered until my wife tried calling home this morning from hercell phone and her call went to my failover which is my cell phone number. Unfortunately, my cell was upstairs on the charger and when I checked, I had missed several calls. When I checked VPanel, there was nothing registered. Rebooting the GS fixed it, but I sure wish it would do this automatically. Not really complaining, just posting this so that you know who was affected. I hope the GrandStream folks get a fix out for this because I'm sure nobody likes missing calls to their home number.

I have the ATA behind my router, so I'm wondering if that affects its ability to rre-rregister itself? I really don't want to put it in front because our entire house would loose connectivity every time I had the need to reboot the ATA and there is always something going on here that involves the internet.

RA

1bird2
02-20-2009, 10:33 AM
Ditto....

Not registered, received an email for VoIPo (which was good, thank you) that my ATA had a problem (GS 502). Called number and it failed over to my cell. Had to have someone at home reboot device (not so good) as the device did not re-register. ATA is behind a Linksys Router running Tomato.

These ATAs need to be way more resiliant to up stream issues, i.e. if they are not registered -- execute reboot or re-register, etc......

NY Tel Guy
02-20-2009, 01:02 PM
Putting everything else aside...HAPPY BIRTHDAY!Thanks. I don't feel a day over 39:p

GTOJim
02-20-2009, 06:42 PM
Thanks. I don't feel a day over 39:p

You must be related to Jack Benny. ;)

usa2k
02-20-2009, 07:37 PM
You must be related to Jack Benny. ;)
He is his father! :D