PDA

View Full Version : Wierd ATA issue

Xponder1
02-24-2009, 05:42 PM
Ok so since yesterday I have noticed that my 502 is causing the speaker on my Panasonic 5 phone 5.8 GHz phone system to crackle. It crackles when you pick up the phone or hang up. Its fine during the entire call. It crackles again shortly after hanging up and I have noticed the ATA phone light is on when it does it.

Has been fine since December when I signed up. Unplug the phone cord from the ATA and pick up the phone it does not do it. Plug it in the pots line it does not do it. It does the same with either one of the wireless units or using the base (so no wireless signal) to make the call.

I suspect too much power going out of the ATA.

I tried the online chat and was told to submit a ticket. Submitted a ticket and got this for a answer.

I suspect this to be some type of Radio or Channel interference.
Are you able to change the channel which your cordless communicates on?

Try moving your cordless base around, preferably further away from the ATA device - if possible.

Ticket ID: HGL-832108 in case anyone in support wants it.
I responded to that with the following

I am a FCC licensed amateur radio operator. I am 100% positive its not a radio interference issue.
Reasons I know for a fact thats not it.

1. The base unit that uses no radio signal at all does it and the two inch phone cord connecting the base to the ATA is not a very good antenna.
2. It only does it when you hang up or pick up the phone. Well it also does it again for a second after you hang up. Once the call is initiated it does not do it.
3. Unplug the phone cable from the ATA its fine. 4. Plug it in the pots line its fine too.
5. I have had VOIPo since like December and never had the issue and I have always used the same phone.
Any other thoughts or suggestions. Oh, and just so you know I also plugged a nifty little RF filter on the line between the ATA and the phone and it still does it.

Anyone else want to throw out some ideas? This is a $150.00 phone set.

VOIPoJustin
02-24-2009, 06:01 PM
Hmm.. the only problem with the excess voltage theory is that it sounds like it just popped up recently (ie, I would suspect it to be persistent from the start if so). I know the PAP2Ts have configurable voltage settings, let me verify if there's anything on the 502s end that we could make an adjustment for you.

Any other possible variables floating around to pin down the issue a bit more precisely?

Xponder1
02-24-2009, 06:06 PM
Hmm.. the only problem with the excess voltage theory is that it sounds like it just popped up recently (ie, I would suspect it to be persistent from the start if so). I know the PAP2Ts have configurable voltage settings, let me verify if there's anything on the 502s end that we could make an adjustment for you.

Any other possible variables floating around to pin down the issue a bit more precisely?

I figured it out. I have another 502 here that was sent to replace this one for a issue that turned out not to be the ATA. That ATA has a severe audio issue. I swapped out the ATA as a test and it did it. So I swapped out the power supply with the other power supply and the problem is gone.

Power supply gone wild....

CrownSeven
02-24-2009, 07:35 PM
Interesting. I have a set of Panasonic 6.0 wireless phones, and they all make a popping noise when first picking up the handset, including when using the base in speakerphone mode (which is not wireless). After connecting with the caller, it does go away. Didn't really see it as an issue, just throwing it out there.

Xponder1
02-24-2009, 08:37 PM
Interesting. I have a set of Panasonic 6.0 wireless phones, and they all make a popping noise when first picking up the handset, including when using the base in speakerphone mode (which is not wireless). After connecting with the caller, it does go away. Didn't really see it as an issue, just throwing it out there.

Mine does that too. I do not think the panasonic phones like the 502 lol.

kevm
02-24-2009, 08:43 PM
comment deleted...

Vumes
02-26-2009, 09:07 PM
I have an older Panasonic phone, and it too crackles when I pick up the phone and I hear dialtone. During the actual call, I don't get this at all, until I get dialtone again. It doesn't affect my call quality, so I didn't thing it was a big issue. If it is a voltage issue, then I would worry. I also have the 502.