PDA

View Full Version : VM & Call Waiting

wagnerb
02-28-2009, 08:59 AM
Apologies if this has been discussed before, but could not dig anything up. Anyway, I use my phone's answering machine and have VM disabled in VPanel. I noticed that a couple of calls were routed to the Voipo VM when I didn't answer them after the call wait alert during a call. Is this the system's default action when call waiting is not answered?

abward
02-28-2009, 11:32 AM
What to you have for VPanel->Features, Fail over? Is it set to a number or VM?

wagnerb
02-28-2009, 12:41 PM
Failover set to number.

voipinit
02-28-2009, 12:58 PM
Failover doesn't have anything to do with it. If VM is disabled I don't think it should go to VM period, but according to you it apparently does with call waiting. Since you don't have the ability of getting a message any other way during a call wait, this may be by design. If nobody from tech supports answers you, or if no one knows, I would open a ticket and ask.

usa2k
02-28-2009, 01:17 PM
Maybe the answering machine could be on the second phone port?
It will ring while the call is incoming and still answer soo enough?
That is my theory.

wagnerb
03-02-2009, 11:44 AM
I decided to do a test and the system apparently does route a call waiting call to the VM if one doesn't answer it while on a call, despite having VM disabled in Vpanel. If the VM is disabled, you would not know the caller left a message, assuming you didn't answer the call waiting, until you logged into Vpanel. Obviously, this is not the case if VM is enabled and you have email notification.

So, my guess is this is the system default. This could work though. Since I use my phone's answering machine, set to pick up on 4 rings, I could enable Voipo VM to pick up on 5 or 6 rings and send email notification. That way, if I chose not to answer a call wait, the caller could leave a message and I would get it, or not.

fisamo
03-02-2009, 11:48 AM
I don't see why that would NOT work, just it seems more complicated than it needs to be. Why not just use the voicemail system and ditch the answering machine? (If you prefer the answering machine, that's obviously fine--it's your phone. :) I'm just curious.)

abward
03-02-2009, 01:45 PM
I think wagnerb has discovered a design flaw. I also do not use the VOIPo VM, due to WAF, and I certainly do not expect it to act this way either.

wagnerb, please open a ticket. I too would expect the line to just ring and ring in this scenario, like the phone company does. Or, if I have VM disabled, and the system insists on using it anyway, then it better send me an email or something telling me there is a message!

fisamo
03-02-2009, 02:27 PM
While this issue is being addressed, you might consider setting the # of rings to 50. I can pretty much guarantee that any caller would give up before then. :D

wagnerb
03-02-2009, 03:14 PM
I don't see why that would NOT work, just it seems more complicated than it needs to be. Why not just use the voicemail system and ditch the answering machine? (If you prefer the answering machine, that's obviously fine--it's your phone. :) I'm just curious.)

Creature of habit I guess. When I as at Voice Wing, there was no way to set an email notification, let alone with .WAV file attachment, thus one had to login to the PCM to see/hear VM. Likewise, since the PC is not on all the time, the first thing I see when returning home is the phone's WMI; just hit the play button and delete, skip, or save.

Like I said, I usually use the phone's answering machine. On these calls I ignored the CWID alert a few days ago, I was surprised to see them recorded in the Vpanel when I had the VM disabled.

wagnerb, please open a ticket.

I did over the weekend. The tech said he escalated to Tier 2. Haven't heard anything yet.