PDA

View Full Version : Random touch tones during call

bubbanc
03-02-2009, 02:22 PM
I've had a weird issue when making outbound calls from Voipo. The calling party has reported (and I've been on the calling end so I can verify) that during random periods of the call a touchtone sound is heard (like someone is pushing a button on the phone). I've tried different phones within the house and this still happens. Today during a 3 minute call, I heard the tones twice.

I've reported this to tech support but was interested if anyone else was having this problem or if anyone had any ideas on what it may be.

Tim asked if this was only happening when dialing out to my area code (919). I reported that all the calls were to 919, but I hadn't called outside of my area code to see if the problem persisted.

Thanks,
Brian

scott2020
03-02-2009, 03:25 PM
That happens to me a lot. I was told (not by VOIPo, can't remember who) that it had something to do with the way the ATA heard certain tones in my voice. It was enough to set off the touch tone sound to the other end. Could be total BS though.

abward
03-02-2009, 03:31 PM
I used to hear this a lot with Vonage, but so far have not heard it with VOIPo.

bubbanc
03-02-2009, 03:31 PM
hehe... that sounds like BS. I've never had that problem with other providers (though I did have problems with calls cutting out with other providers).

fisamo
03-02-2009, 03:55 PM
I also had that problem with Vonage during my short stint with them over 4 years ago... Never had it with CallVantage, ViaTalk, or Voipo.

bubbanc
03-02-2009, 04:23 PM
Well, our new phone service has now turned into our new, stupid phone service (according to my wife).

burris
03-02-2009, 04:58 PM
I've never experienced this problem...

Sometimes you may find that the receive volume on your phones is set too high. That can cause not only hearing these tones, but echos as well.

bubbanc
03-02-2009, 05:12 PM
I've never experienced this problem...

Sometimes you may find that the receive volume on your phones is set too high. That can cause not only hearing these tones, but echos as well.

The persons we are calling are the ones hearing it (we don't hear anything). 4 different calling parties reporting the problem (including myself) that never heard it with our old provider. Input/Output gains on PAP2T are set to -2/-2.

burris
03-02-2009, 05:16 PM
The persons we are calling are the ones hearing it (we don't hear anything). 4 different calling parties reporting the problem (including myself) that never heard it with our old provider. Input/Output gains on PAP2T are set to -2/-2.

Maybe ask support to try reducing the gain and re-check with your called parties..

NY Tel Guy
03-02-2009, 05:25 PM
I've had a weird issue when making outbound calls from Voipo. The calling party has reported (and I've been on the calling end so I can verify) that during random periods of the call a touchtone sound is heard (like someone is pushing a button on the phone). I've tried different phones within the house and this still happens. Today during a 3 minute call, I heard the tones twice.

I've reported this to tech support but was interested if anyone else was having this problem or if anyone had any ideas on what it may be.

Tim asked if this was only happening when dialing out to my area code (919). I reported that all the calls were to 919, but I hadn't called outside of my area code to see if the problem persisted.

Thanks,
BrianThe way POTS works is you press a touch tone button and an analog waveform of the "tone" is transmitted, as pressed by you - straight through to the DTMF or touch tone receiver on the other end.

These voip adapters work differently depending on the type of signaling you select for handling of dtmf tones.

With voip: you press a tone, the adapter hears it and passes this information along digitally to the server handling the audio portion of your call which then produces a "replica" of the tone, much like a music CD does not really produce music but a digital reproduction of certain portions of the analog sound waveform. It is VERY possible and easy to fool certain adapters with the human voice so this is a very common voip occurrence but it is not prevalent with all adapters because of the way each adapter and subsequent carrier processes them.

So - your tones are probably being produced by your adapter hearing a vocal waveform produced by your wife and it interprets it (erroneously) as a touch tone and tells the switch to send a tone along to match the numeric value it thinks it has heard.

Long winded explanation but I worked for the phone company for years and this was something the engineers I worked with had studied.

So you must now tell your wife that the stupid phone service is all in her mind..........
Or you could not do that and stay married.:p

Oh and I have this happen all the time on my Grandstream adapter when I am on a call.

VOIPoBrandon
03-02-2009, 05:31 PM
Hello,

Could I get you to go ahead and reboot your PAP2T -- give it a few minutes to pull down provisioning, and try and replicate it again, please advise if this issue still continues, thank you!
________
Glass bubblers (http://bubblers.net/)

Vumes
03-02-2009, 05:48 PM
When I was with Vonage and had the Pap2, I also had this problem. I have not noticed it at all with the 502.

voxabox
03-02-2009, 06:07 PM
I suspect it is a case of misconfigured DTMF handling
basically, DTMF can be handled different ways by the ATA
IIRC, RFC2833, SIP INFO, and in audio
send a ticket to supports. they're take care of it
Cheers,
-v

abward
03-02-2009, 07:02 PM
At one point, Tim said they were coming up with the ideal config for the PAP2T, and they were then going to push this down to all the PAP2Ts. Perhaps this tweak should be on the list.

bubbanc
03-02-2009, 07:27 PM
I'm BYOD but my adapter is configured as per their guidelines, so I'm assuming my configuration is up-to-par with theirs, but perhaps not. We'll see. Glad to they are willing to help resolve the issue.

bubbanc
03-02-2009, 08:55 PM
Looks like it might have been a setting that I had set incorrectly... always quick to blame everyone but myself. Then again, I'd much rather tell my wife it was something I screwed up than our new phone service :)

DTMF Tx Mode: Strict

We'll see tomorrow (too late to call people)... Thanks to Tim and Voipo support for working with me on this!

Brian