PDA

View Full Version : FWIW, If the HT502 is dropped ...

usa2k
03-05-2009, 07:20 AM
For those who lack a router (not me!), are you going to recommend any particular router?
Or is there a solid Linksys with a router? (You can charge extra)

Waaaaay back in early January 2003 when had I signed up with Vonage, they only had the Cisco ATA 186, but also offered a 4-port NetGear RP614 router for $40.00. Wow! NetGear still sells one: LINK (http://www.netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/WiredRouters/RP614.aspx)

I have the Linksys WRT54GL using Linux Tomato (open source software)
It seems to be a great router that I wish I had bought long ago!

My DSLR thread: LINK (http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r21634181-QOS-Tomato)
A link to my purchase: LINK (http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r21612976-Known-issues-with-WOW-and-wired-routers) $79 seems high, it was $57.99 and no shipping charges.

abward
03-05-2009, 07:27 AM
I gather that the HT502 is not going to be dropped, just the individual ones causing problems are going to be swapped out for PAP2Ts. But, I see your point about a router.

christcorp
03-05-2009, 08:44 AM
If anyone is interested in home network routers that work great with voip; look into the Trendnet's. The model TEW-631BRP (http://trendnettv.com/watch.asp?category=1&videoID=3) is excellent. They use the Ubicom Hardware QOS which is amazing. I am using the tew-611brp but that's beed replaced with the 631 model. I've used this on my network with dsl, cable, and wireless broadband. Voip and computers have been great. Yes, they are in the $80-$90 range average; but they are definitely worth it. While I like linksys; none of the DD-WRT, Tomato, or any other firmware/software QOS can compare with the Ubicom chip. FWIW; the Ubicom chip is what is used in the "Stream Engine" QOS found in a number of routers. I'm not a fan of Dlink, so even though they have some routers with "Stream Engine" (Thus the Ubicom QOS Chip); I wouldn't buy the Dlink. If you can find the Zyxel X-550 that is also a great router with the ubicom QOS chip. The trendnet tew-611brp was basically a clone of the X-550. Anyway, that's my suggestion. If someone is really looking to buy a voip adapter with decent QOS and a decent/basic router in it; I can honestly say that the Linksys RT31P2-NA has always been a great work horse. I use one on my 2nd VoipO line and it keep trucking. I don't use the router function, but I have. Weird as it seems, it only has a 3 port switch on the router. never understood 3 ports. Remember; Linksys is very common for use with Vonage and a number of other voip providers. As such; many are configured ONLY for them. Make sure if you buy one that you are buying the normal model that isn't locked to any particular provider. later... mike....

scott2020
03-05-2009, 09:33 AM
I have one of the D-Link wireless routers that has the Stream Engine on it, and I never could get it to work reliably. How I tested was to download a giant file while talking on the phone. Downloads were usually OK, no break ups or anything like that on VOIP. However, uploads were always causing problems with choppy voice. If I uploaded a large file, the VOIP choppiness would make the call unintelligible. I played a lot with settings but never got the upstream/choppiness figured out.

I have since moved to Tomato on a WRT54G and it is perfect. I have finally tweaked the downstream and upstream settings and get no chop regardless of my download/upload rates. I also ran PFSense which worked OK. DD-WRT I never could get set as good as my Tomato!

Scott

myvoip07
03-05-2009, 11:22 AM
Using WRT54GL with DD-WRT and it has been working fine so far for more then 2 years.

wagnerb
03-05-2009, 12:04 PM
i'm running a Westell 6100F DSL modem (VZ), LinkSys BESFR41 router, & the Voipo LinkSys PAP2T. The Westell is bridged, the router is running default, the ATA is behind the router, and the Voipo service is running well

quattrohead
03-05-2009, 12:08 PM
Scott2020, care to share your settings ?
I just converted the T-Mobile Linksys box to Tomato and even with no tweaking, things are better all round.
Did try DD-WRT first, like the user interface better but Tomato has bandwidth monitoring and supposedly better QOS.

bretski
03-05-2009, 01:52 PM
I opened this thread expecting you to tell me that if the HT502 is dropped...

...it will break. :)

christcorp
03-05-2009, 03:13 PM
Scott; as I said, the Dlink is NOT a favorite router of mine. But it's not the Ubicom QOS chip that is your problem. The zyxel, trendnet, and many others that use the chip work flawlessly. (Considering you ONLY have control over upload with QOS).

scott2020
03-05-2009, 03:21 PM
Scott2020, care to share your settings ?
I just converted the T-Mobile Linksys box to Tomato and even with no tweaking, things are better all round.
Did try DD-WRT first, like the user interface better but Tomato has bandwidth monitoring and supposedly better QOS.

All I really did is run several speed tests to different servers on the Internet to get a somewhat accurate estimation on what my real speed is. AT&T tells me I have 6mb down and 768k up, but I get more like 5.2mb down and 600k up. Then I set the Tomato bandwidth settings to about 90% of the up/down numbers. After that, I put the IP address of my ATA into the "Highest" category and left the rest as default, and it pretty much worked from there. I put a static DHCP into the Tomato so the ATA always gets the same IP.

Scott; as I said, the Dlink is NOT a favorite router of mine. But it's not the Ubicom QOS chip that is your problem.

A friend has a Zyxel and has had great luck with it. Sorry, I should have mentioned that. I had high hopes for the D-Link considering it was the latest/greatest but oh well!

Scott

burris
03-05-2009, 03:28 PM
I opened this thread expecting you to tell me that if the HT502 is dropped...

...it will break. :)

I don't care what they say....I like it--you can stay.;)