PDA

View Full Version : Net Connectivity hiccup thoughts

chpalmer
03-08-2009, 01:09 PM
I got thinking about this and am finding it a little weird that my ata so far out here in left field (west of Seattle) can hold a constant connection (ie no drops or lack of registration according to my logs except for the outage) to a Texas area server and yet there seem to be a number that see registration problems.

So my thoughts are that something along the route to the registration servers is part of the issue.

Im wondering what internet connectivity those that intermittently drop are using. Cable, DSL PPPoE, DSL PPPoA, Wireless, ect...

The ata's should automatically reconnect so network issues should not be so devistating. The lack of re-registration is not what Im talking about here though. Its the fact that some stay connected while others have hiccups...

Sometimes chatter like this helps to lead those looking in the right direction. (we do this at our company all the time) :)

Its pretty important for everyone to know that sometimes connections along the way fail and get busy, and in the process of the reroute, your gonna see packet loss.

Maybe this is all moot but just thinking...

Xponder1
03-08-2009, 01:25 PM
I got thinking about this and am finding it a little weird that my ata so far out here in left field (west of Seattle) can hold a constant connection (ie no drops or lack of registration according to my logs except for the outage) to a Texas area server and yet there seem to be a number that see registration problems.

So my thoughts are that something along the route to the registration servers is part of the issue.

Im wondering what internet connectivity those that intermittently drop are using. Cable, DSL PPPoE, DSL PPPoA, Wireless, ect...

The ata's should automatically reconnect so network issues should not be so devistating. The lack of re-registration is not what Im talking about here though. Its the fact that some stay connected while others have hiccups...

Sometimes chatter like this helps to lead those looking in the right direction. (we do this at our company all the time) :)

Its pretty important for everyone to know that sometimes connections along the way fail and get busy, and in the process of the reroute, your gonna see packet loss.

Maybe this is all moot but just thinking...

I have wondered the same. I have a pppoe connection. All is fine so far with the new ATA.

burris
03-08-2009, 01:51 PM
Both my PAP2Ts go to the sip server(Houston)and I have no problems and no reboots.

chpalmer
03-08-2009, 02:21 PM
Both my PAP2Ts go to the sip server(Houston)and I have no problems and no reboots.

What kinda internet service to you have burris?

Your kinda in left field if we look south... :D

burris
03-08-2009, 02:35 PM
ATT DSL 3Mb/384

Motorola/Netopia 2210-02-1006 modem in bridged mode-feeding(the best router I ever had)an Asus WL-520GU that provides PPPoE-2 PAP2Ts behind it.

I have 4 desktops-1 Laptop..(because I am constantly building new ones or rebuilding the ones I have)-all on a wireless network.
I keep the PAP2T screens open in my Firefox tabs and can see at a glance what is happening.
On occasion I am downloading some huge files and it has no impact on the phone connection...

It's actually boring, as everything just sits there and works. ;)

chpalmer
03-08-2009, 02:47 PM
Motorola/Netopia 2210-02-1006 modem in bridged mode-feeding(the best router I ever had)

Thats nice to know. I need to replace the Actiontec (gag) at the office and Ive been looking around...

Thanks! :)