PDA

View Full Version : No audio between myself and another Voipo customer

ralfaro
03-08-2009, 01:46 PM
I have just opened a ticket on this (DAL-694733) but thought it would be agood idea to post here to see if anyone else has encountered the same issue.

I was having occasional registration issues with my GrandStream so I received a pap2t yesterday and have installed it. Whenever I call another Voipo customer at a number that I won't mention here for privacy reasons, there is absolutely no audio on either side of the call. the user on the other end has a GrandStream. If he calls me on the other hand, audio is just fine. My pap2t is behind a Linksys 310n running DDWRT firmware. I have tried forwarding the ports 5060 an 5079 to the pap2t's ip address but this made no difference.

Note that this was never an issue calling the same person when I was using the GrandStream. this started with the pap2t. I know of another Voipo user that had the exact same issue with a pap2t that was never resolved so he was sent a GrandStream which worked fine and did not have this audio issue.

Currently, I still have both devices and will decide which one to send back, but I would love to get to the bottom of this audio thing since it is the second pap2t I have seen with this audio issue.

Any ideas out there?

Also, since the topic of audio quality came up at one time regarding the GrandStream VS the pap2t, I have had a chance to compare them both. In my opinion, the GrandStream has better audio, but the pap2t isn't bad at all however. The pap2t to my ears has a little more graininess in the audio than the GrandStream making the GS sound a little more natural to me. Just my opinion of course.

RA

Xponder1
03-08-2009, 02:02 PM
http://forums.voipo.com/showthread.php?t=1249

I wonder if this is related. Sounds like some kind of internal bugs that need worked out.

Also, I want to say the audio to me sounds better on the Linksys. The 502 hated my Panasonic phone. All my audio issues are gone.

I could not be happier ;)

usa2k
03-08-2009, 02:34 PM
Was the HT502 before the Router, and the PAP2T is after?
What kind of router is being used?
It might be a pain, but it would be interesting to know,
if the ATA directly connected to the modem will work?

Yet again, you can call other regular numbers? That does not add up.
Putting in a ticket was a wise move.

The GrandStream is a bit higher volume. I liked that too.

fisamo
03-08-2009, 06:11 PM
For troubleshooting purposes, I'd recommend one of the two following tests:
1. Try putting the PAP2 in your router's DMZ--ports 5060-5079 are for the call setup, but not the call audio. Perhaps someone in tech support can tell you the RTP ports and you only need to open them. (You might also try 10000-20000.)
2. Take the router out of the picture. Obviously, with the PAP2T, this is a very short-duration test, and it's a pain. However, if you don't have audio problems when the device does not have to handle NAT translation, you might be able to track down what settings in your router that you should tweak (or if it's another problem altogether).

ralfaro
03-08-2009, 07:42 PM
The pap2t and GS were both behind a router. On my end was a Linksys 310n and on the other end was a wrt54g and both of us are running DDWRT firmware. I also find it weird that making calls to non-voipo numbers does not have this issue. I just confirmed it with yet another Voipo customer and there was no audio. this other customer also has a GS, but had a pap2t before that exhibited the same problem. I'll try the ATA directy connected to the cable modem tomorrow and see what happens. I have a feeling itwill probably work, but just a hunch on my part.

Was the HT502 before the Router, and the PAP2T is after?
What kind of router is being used?
It might be a pain, but it would be interesting to know,
if the ATA directly connected to the modem will work?

Yet again, you can call other regular numbers? That does not add up.
Putting in a ticket was a wise move.

The GrandStream is a bit higher volume. I liked that too.

ralfaro
03-08-2009, 07:46 PM
Thanks, great suggestions. I will give them a shot tomorrow and see if any of them help. Appreciate the feedback.

For troubleshooting purposes, I'd recommend one of the two following tests:
1. Try putting the PAP2 in your router's DMZ--ports 5060-5079 are for the call setup, but not the call audio. Perhaps someone in tech support can tell you the RTP ports and you only need to open them. (You might also try 10000-20000.)
2. Take the router out of the picture. Obviously, with the PAP2T, this is a very short-duration test, and it's a pain. However, if you don't have audio problems when the device does not have to handle NAT translation, you might be able to track down what settings in your router that you should tweak (or if it's another problem altogether).

ralfaro
03-12-2009, 08:46 AM
Update: This is still unresolved. I was told that it was being worked on but no idea so far what is causing this issue even though it is reproduceable 100% when calling 2 different voipo accounts. Still hanging in there hoping it can be resolved.

RA

ralfaro
03-17-2009, 12:14 PM
I'm happy to report that this issue was finally resolved. Although the problem may have been somewhat tricky, Voipo support saw it through to the end and solved the "no audio" issue I was having when calling Voipo to Voipo. Many thanks.

RA

NY Tel Guy
03-17-2009, 01:49 PM
I'm happy to report that this issue was finally resolved. Although the problem may have been somewhat tricky, Voipo support saw it through to the end and solved the "no audio" issue I was having when calling Voipo to Voipo. Many thanks.

RASo what was it? Did they tell you?;)

ralfaro
03-18-2009, 10:37 AM
I asked that same question and was told that there were basically NAT issues but the ultimate solution was to use stun. It wa a weird probelm because it only was an issue when calling certain numbers and those numbers happened to be running GrandStreams and the issue only started when I switched from a GrandStream to a pap2t. It took them a while to figure it out so it would be interesting if someone could give some detailed info on what exactly it was and how they fixed it.

RA

NY Tel Guy
03-18-2009, 11:21 AM
I asked that same question and was told that there were basically NAT issues but the ultimate solution was to use stun. It wa a weird probelm because it only was an issue when calling certain numbers and those numbers happened to be running GrandStreams and the issue only started when I switched from a GrandStream to a pap2t. It took them a while to figure it out so it would be interesting if someone could give some detailed info on what exactly it was and how they fixed it.

RAThanks for the explanation, although I am "stunned" by the response.....lol:p

burris
03-18-2009, 11:22 AM
Not in defense of the support group, but I think the issues are far greater than simply telling you what they found.

If you consider that they are handling 1000s of customers, many with all kinds of convoluted setups--while going through a rough period with the adapters, it's a wonder they keep everything going as well as they do.
They are coming from behind, since the original thrust was to use the 502s and require them to be placed before the routers, if any, or they would not be able to offer direct support.
Now with the PAP2Ts, you virtually need a router, and that now presents a whole different path for support.

They have their hands full, but in time, I think they may be able to draw a breath and have some standard(an oxymoron)procedures and scripts to take care of most problems quickly.

Although I have a wireless router because of my needs, I suppose I have been quite lucky from the beta days until now, as my service is excellent in every respect...and my WAF is the best it has been in 4 years of VOIP.:rolleyes:

ralfaro
03-25-2009, 10:15 AM
Update: This issue is back again and not sure why or what else to do. All ports that I have been asked to forward are forwarded, and apparently, we are still on stun, but the "no audio" business is back when calling a certain number. It is a Linksys pap2t on this end behind a Linksys wrt310n running ddwrt, and a GrandStream on the other end also behind a router, but can't recall brand and model. Note that I have qos enabled via the mac address of the pap2t, but I don't think that should interfear.

RA