PDA

View Full Version : DTMF & Goodbye

GTOJim
03-20-2009, 10:40 AM
I'm using a HT-502 and during a phone call the other party complained of hearing DTMF tones. This has only happened once that I'm aware of.. Just an FYI this issue might not be exclusive to the PAP2.

Recently calling a friend I received a recorded message "Goodbye" then a fast busy. This happed several times calling the same number. Turns out my friend was using his phone during the time I was receiving the "Goodbye" message.

Jim

burris
03-20-2009, 12:13 PM
Even with my PAP2T, I have found that when the called party has their phone off hook and doesn't have call waiting, I get the same response.

Also when calling my number from a cell phone and network is down and failover isn't working, I get a similar message.

I'm not sure that VOIP services offer the same interrupts or intercepts that POTS does.

Hawkmeister
03-20-2009, 02:58 PM
I noticed the 'Goodbye' and fast busy immediately following when calling my mom yesterday. Originally, I thought the goodbye was originating from her answering machine. However, I later found that it happened when her phone was off hook (on another call). I have a PAP2T also. That's the first time I've experienced that message.

VOIPoTim
03-20-2009, 03:07 PM
So it sounds like when we're getting a Busy Signal respond code back, it's not being interpreted right and is kicking out a generic error "Goodbye".

I'll have someone look into this more.

NY Tel Guy
03-20-2009, 07:54 PM
So it sounds like when we're getting a Busy Signal respond code back, it's not being interpreted right and is kicking out a generic error "Goodbye".

I'll have someone look into this more.Have them look at off hook (when they are dialing) versus someone who is actively engaged in a call where answer supervision has been provided to the party.

So - I call mom, but mom is just dialing someone or she dialed the local pharmacy and the pharmacy has not yet answered....those calls cannot receive a call waiting tone.

I call mom and she's talking to the pharmacy. She should get a call waiting tone and I should hear ringback.

So off hook is different from "engaged in a call" and the SS7 links may be passing different header information about the call that is being mis-interpreted by the "Voipo switch".....
Just my 2 cents.

NY Tel Guy
03-20-2009, 10:09 PM
Tim and company:
Ok relative to my post above, I took my pots line off hook and just let the dial tone drone on without dialing.

I picked up my 212 372 XXXX voipo line and called the pots line 631 361 XXXX and got the goodbye greeting.

I then dialed my cell from my pots, thereby establishing a supervised open call. I picked up my voipo line 212 372 XXXX and called the pots 631 361 XXXX and got ringback tone from voipo and got a call waiting tone on my pots line.

I repeated this test twice with the same results.
Look in my call logs for Friday evening around 11:55 PM

1st call failed
2nd worked
3rd failed
4th worked.

Its the damn header/traveling servicemark that is confusing the voipo equipment when the line is in a dialing state as opposed to a connected or "engaged" call.

When we used to encounter this stuff at Verizon, we simply charged more for it......:p

Hope that helps.

GTOJim
03-21-2009, 12:44 AM
I don't know if this is somehow a related issue, the call waiting feature is no longer working correctly on my HT-502.

I can flash from a conversation to second caller but can no longer flash back to the first caller, nor can I then flash/return back to the second caller. In this case I lose both callers. I had this problem with the HT-286 but HT-502 corrected this issue. Now for some reason the HT-502 seems to have this problem.

My HT-502 still has the original firmware.

burris
03-21-2009, 04:03 AM
I don't know if this is somehow a related issue, the call waiting feature is no longer working correctly on my HT-502.

I can flash from a conversation to second caller but can no longer flash back to the first caller, nor can I then flash/return back to the second caller. In this case I lose both callers. I had this problem with the HT-286 but HT-502 corrected this issue. Now for some reason the HT-502 seems to have this problem.

My HT-502 still has the original firmware.

Early on when I had the 502 with the original firmware, this problem was evident. When I upgraded the firmware it then worked O.K.

voxabox
03-22-2009, 12:31 PM
FWIW,
my wife just complained about the 'goodbye' problem
She dialed her parents and got the 'goodbye' audio message
She dialed again and got through
I think this is a first time that we ran into this problem

NY Tel Guy
03-22-2009, 02:06 PM
FWIW,
my wife just complained about the 'goodbye' problem
She dialed her parents and got the 'goodbye' audio message
She dialed again and got through
I think this is a first time that we ran into this problemLook at my post a few above.....this is most likely the culprit.
Her parents were probably dialing or had just placed a call and that call they placed had not yet been answered.
That's why later on she got through.

voxabox
03-22-2009, 07:30 PM
Look at my post a few above.....this is most likely the culprit.
Her parents were probably dialing or had just placed a call and that call they placed had not yet been answered.
That's why later on she got through.
NY Tel,
I read that
I just wanna report that my wife 'discovered' it
Cheers,
-v

NY Tel Guy
03-22-2009, 07:39 PM
NY Tel,
I read that
I just wanna report that my wife 'discovered' it
Cheers,
-v
We can share the money Tim is going to pay us for saving him some development money since we solved the issue.:p

GTOJim
03-22-2009, 10:06 PM
In my case I called the same number several times in a row and recieved the Goodbye message. Later when the call completed I asked my friend if he had been using the phone and he responded yes. If he had just dialed out I shouldn't have received the Goodbye message several times.

I could be wrong but I think he was talking on his phone when I was calling.

NY Tel Guy
03-23-2009, 07:36 AM
In my case I called the same number several times in a row and recieved the Goodbye message. Later when the call completed I asked my friend if he had been using the phone and he responded yes. If he had just dialed out I shouldn't have received the Goodbye message several times.

I could be wrong but I think he was talking on his phone when I was calling.Does this friend have call waiting on his line?

GTOJim
03-23-2009, 10:01 AM
Does this friend have call waiting on his line?

Good point, he does not have call waiting on his phone.

NY Tel Guy
03-23-2009, 10:37 AM
Good point, he does not have call waiting on his phone.Well then if he had been actively engaged in a call (speaking to someone, not dialing and not ringing a distant party) it should give you back a busy signal.
Unless he called a cell phone where there was no answer supervision.

Hawkmeister
03-23-2009, 10:53 AM
My mom was on her phone talking when I experienced the Goodbye. She does not have call waiting. Also, it a POTS line (not cell).

bretski
03-23-2009, 10:56 AM
Dunno if there's something systemic going on right now, but I got the "Goodbye" system reply a few times in a row when trying to dial directory assistnce. Waited a couple minutes, then it went through... <shrug>

VOIPoDylan
03-27-2009, 12:54 PM
The "goodbye" message you've been hearing was due to our software not correctly handling the Busy Signal. This has been corrected and you'll now hear a "Busy Signal" if the dialed number is indeed busy.

bretski
03-27-2009, 02:01 PM
Still getting this today, trying to place a call to the East Coast.

Edit: Call went through several minutes later. Busy trunk? I have been experiencing this fairly often over the past week or so...

burris
03-27-2009, 03:26 PM
Just made a local call and the goodbye was still there for the first 2 tries.

On the third try, a normal busy signal rang back.

After a few tries, they hung up and the call went through

scott2020
03-27-2009, 03:43 PM
I had a "goodbye" twice today when calling home. I got "Goodbye" instead of going to my voicemail on an unanswered call. Third time was OK though.

NY Tel Guy
03-27-2009, 05:20 PM
I had a "goodbye" twice today when calling home. I got "Goodbye" instead of going to my voicemail on an unanswered call. Third time was OK though.That's because my original theory holds true. Busy when really busy = busy sig.
Busy because the person is dialing or off hook = "Goodbye Girl".
I made it happen twice as a test.
Ok - I just did it again. I called my pots line from my voipo line leaving the line offhook. I got the Goodbye recording.
I then called a number and when it answered, out it on hold. Called it from my POTS, call went through, no recording.
Dialed *70 on my pots to cancel call waiting, placed call, waited for answer then dialed pots from voipo. Busy signal.