PDA

View Full Version : Passwords and security

gbh2o
03-28-2009, 02:02 PM
Grrrr... frustrating (minor) and potentially BAD.

Something to consider. At present, we must have a separate Vpanel account for each residential account. I happen to have two, one of which I've assigned to my Mother in lieu of her using my asterisk sytems. Since she will also have access to the Vpanel, I made sure to change _that_ accounts password.

But, it also effected an undesired change of the password for accessing the billing/support side of things [https://billing.voipo.com/clientarea.php]! I guess VOIPo thinks that anyone having more than one account will use the same password for everything? Never a real good idea! And, since it did _not_ change my primary account's Vpanel password I would believe that it is an unintended function.

I have 'changed' the password in my primary residential account's Vpanel and thus restored the correct password to the billing side for me. I certainly don't want my Mother seeing my other accounts financial information. ;-( I wonder what would happen if I changed the password for my Express account???

[I have opened a ticket.]

VOIPoTim
03-28-2009, 02:21 PM
The way the system is setup now, it does link billing and vPanel accounts.

That way people don't need to remember multiple user IDs. Just use their e-mail for biling and their phone number for vPanel. Passwords the same.

We can re-evaluate this if you guys think we should though.

Russell
03-28-2009, 07:58 PM
For the average residential user (e.g., me) ... I'd just like to have one login which gives me access to both billing and vPanel - essentially everything to do with my account except for these forums.

I do understand one can have multiple lines with separate vPanel logins for each - perhaps if one billing account has multiple lines the owner can be asked how they want things organized. For simple users (like me) - lets use the KISS principle (keep it simple).

Russell

ptrowski
03-28-2009, 08:10 PM
I would prefer to see billing brought into the CP. One stop shopping...

gbh2o
03-28-2009, 08:44 PM
The way the system is setup now, it does link billing and vPanel accounts.

That way people don't need to remember multiple user IDs. Just use their e-mail for biling and their phone number for vPanel. Passwords the same.

We can re-evaluate this if you guys think we should though.

Ahh, but when you have more than one Vpanel account access, you may have more than one password, one per account. The problem is that the last one that has a password update also updates the password to the billing system. It does not change the password for Vpanel for another account for the same user. A change in any _one_ account changes the billing password applicable to all of them.

voipinit
03-28-2009, 08:45 PM
I agree with ptrowski

voipinit
03-28-2009, 08:46 PM

^x2

(filler to fill 10 char min.)

buckethead
03-29-2009, 07:16 AM
This is something that I would love to see as well - one interface for everything. I am assuming that we will see it at some point in the future after any left over wrinkles are ironed out of the service first as I am sure that is the #1 priority at this time.

dswartz
03-29-2009, 07:31 AM
Agreed, I find it very confusing and non-intuitive to login one place for billing info and another for vpanel (and the latter is the phone number...)

burris
03-29-2009, 07:54 AM
This is something that I would love to see as well - one interface for everything. I am assuming that we will see it at some point in the future after any left over wrinkles are ironed out of the service first as I am sure that is the #1 priority at this time.

I totally agree...

dcurrey
03-29-2009, 08:58 AM
Bring them together.