PDA

View Full Version : Ring tone 5?

Russell
03-28-2009, 08:02 PM
Anyone try Ring Tone 5? When I use it for distinctive ring - the phone makes a half-hearted ring and promptly goes into voice mail. I'm on east01. Anyone use Ring Tone 5 successfully?

Russell

NY Tel Guy
03-28-2009, 08:49 PM
Anyone try Ring Tone 5? When I use it for distinctive ring - the phone makes a half-hearted ring and promptly goes into voice mail. I'm on east01. Anyone use Ring Tone 5 successfully?

RussellI like and use # 3

Russell
03-29-2009, 06:35 AM
I like and use # 3
If you have a second could you try #5 and see if you experience similar behavior?

NY Tel Guy
03-29-2009, 09:00 AM
If you have a second could you try #5 and see if you experience similar behavior?Ok just tested it and yes I duplicated what you described.
Ring tone 5 rings identical to a "reminder ring splash" - almost just a blip of a ring and then it goes to voice mail immediately.
Guess we can't use that one.

sr98user
03-29-2009, 07:23 PM
Disitinctive Ring is still in Beta. Check the following thread for similar issues.

http://forums.voipo.com/showthread.php?t=1075&page=2

VOIPoBrandon
03-29-2009, 07:51 PM
Hey guys -- the reason this was happening is because it is one of Bellcore's standard rings "Bellcore-r5" which has a ring duration of 1 by default, so it is suppose to be a quick ring blurp, then go to user unavailable (voicemail). Since this is unexpected behavior as the common user would expect normal ring duration -- we have corrected this, by having it last a longer duration.

Russell
03-29-2009, 08:39 PM
The part of me that favors standards would be inclined to say - keep the original behavior. And, if this is the only one which has such weird behavior a little note below the button explaining this would be adequate. It would be shame to lose such a feature - one may want to direct a certain number to voicemail but want the short ring so one knows it just happened.

usa2k
03-29-2009, 09:43 PM
Was it long enough for CID to pick up?

Russell
03-30-2009, 01:38 PM
Was it long enough for CID to pick up?
I don't know - it no longer behaves this way and so I can't test it. Lets start a movement to get the old behavior back - now that Brandon has explained it, I think it's really cool!

NY Tel Guy
03-30-2009, 01:50 PM
I don't know - it no longer behaves this way and so I can't test it. Lets start a movement to get the old behavior back - now that Brandon has explained it, I think it's really cool!I thnk the application is designed as follows:

In the Bell System when you call forward your calls to another number, there is a "reminder ring splash" that rings your phone when forwarded somewhere. Typically Bellcore R5 was applied in this instance. This served as a constant reminder that your calls were forwarded to another location so every time a call came in, it would give that momentary ring.
In the Bell System instance, in this "ring state", you were unable to answer the call but merely provided that friendly reminder.

Perhaps that is why ringer # 5 was set that was as a default and should not be used as a standard distinctive ring cadence?

Jyst my 2 cents.