PDA

View Full Version : Anyone having virtual #/voicemail problems?

frankd1
03-29-2009, 08:42 PM
I had several people tell me today that they called me on my virtual # and left a message, even though I have no indication of a voicemail. I checked, and calling the virtual # rings my primary line properly, but if I don't answer, calls on the virtual # ring to a separate vm box, which is not how it's set up. VPanel only shows the single voicemail box (which is correct), but that also means I cannot access any of these messages left on the virtual #. VPanel also shows "no mailbox" under the virtual number section, and calls to my virtual # get the generic "the person at extension # (virtual #)" greeting.

Hopefully this glitch is just isolated to my account. But anyone who has a virtual # sharing a voicemail box with the primary line may want to verify everything is working properly.

NY Tel Guy
03-29-2009, 09:58 PM
I had several people tell me today that they called me on my virtual # and left a message, even though I have no indication of a voicemail. I checked, and calling the virtual # rings my primary line properly, but if I don't answer, calls on the virtual # ring to a separate vm box, which is not how it's set up. VPanel only shows the single voicemail box (which is correct), but that also means I cannot access any of these messages left on the virtual #. VPanel also shows "no mailbox" under the virtual number section, and calls to my virtual # get the generic "the person at extension # (virtual #)" greeting.

Hopefully this glitch is just isolated to my account. But anyone who has a virtual # sharing a voicemail box with the primary line may want to verify everything is working properly.I'll bet you that if you go into vpanel and select your virtual number, activate the voicemail feature on the virtual line- those elusive messages will all be there waiting for you.

frankd1
03-29-2009, 10:10 PM
I'll bet you that if you go into vpanel and select your virtual number, activate the voicemail feature on the virtual line- those elusive messages will all be there waiting for you.

You're probably right... I didn't think of that. But I already put a ticket in, and I'd really like to help them trace these weird bugs so things can stabilize enough for me to recommend them to non-techie friends, so I'll probably sit on my hands for now. I'm not sure if enabling vm on the virtual # would make it tougher for them to figure out what happened to cause this.

burris
03-30-2009, 04:08 AM
You're probably right... I didn't think of that. But I already put a ticket in, and I'd really like to help them trace these weird bugs so things can stabilize enough for me to recommend them to non-techie friends, so I'll probably sit on my hands for now. I'm not sure if enabling vm on the virtual # would make it tougher for them to figure out what happened to cause this.

Actually, setting up a VM for any number should be optional. I don't use the system VM and want all numbers to ring through to my own answer machine. If this were enabled by default, it wouldn't work for me.

Russell
03-30-2009, 10:18 AM

I'm having "weird" issues too. And, trying to add voice mail in the VPanel for the virtual number does not appear to work for me.

Russell
03-30-2009, 10:22 AM
Actually, setting up a VM for any number should be optional. I don't use the system VM and want all numbers to ring through to my own answer machine. If this were enabled by default, it wouldn't work for me.
I would agree - old fashioned behavior is the best default :-).

However, for us, functioning voicemail via email delivery to multiple addresses (which I achieve using gmail filters) is critical as we've been used to that for the past several years. We've gotten used to seeing a message in our inboxes at work within seconds of someone calling the home number and leaving a message.

VOIPoBrandon
03-30-2009, 11:19 AM
Hey guys -- we're getting ready to push a fix -- sit tight, thanks!

frankd1
03-30-2009, 11:23 AM
I'll bet you that if you go into vpanel and select your virtual number, activate the voicemail feature on the virtual line- those elusive messages will all be there waiting for you.

Well, tech support got back to me, and they enabled the vm option for the virtual # like you suggested. It looks like this has been going on since at least last Wed (3/25)- OUCH!! I downloaded the messages, then deleted the vm box from the virtual #, and the separate, generic voicemail box is still there.

frankd1
03-30-2009, 11:24 AM
Brandon posted while I was typing....

Russell
03-30-2009, 11:43 AM
Sitting tight. It's always exciting to be on the cutting edge :-).

Russell
03-30-2009, 01:06 PM
While sitting tight ... my ticket seems to have disappeared! I'm sure it's somewhere but I don't appear to be able to see it :-(.

ptrowski
03-30-2009, 01:13 PM
While sitting tight ... my ticket seems to have disappeared! I'm sure it's somewhere but I don't appear to be able to see it :-(.

I have one open in reagrds to the DTMF tones and it has disappeared also.

NY Tel Guy
03-30-2009, 01:25 PM
That's because they are "virtual" tickets......;)

Russell
03-30-2009, 01:27 PM
It's reassuring to know that I'm not that special!

NY Tel Guy
03-30-2009, 01:34 PM
It's reassuring to know that I'm not that special!
But at least there is consistency....

Russell
03-30-2009, 01:36 PM
But at least there is consistency....
With the missing voicemails?

NY Tel Guy
03-30-2009, 01:39 PM
With the missing voicemails?No, I was joking about there being consistency with tickets allegedly disappearing.;)

frankd1
03-30-2009, 01:42 PM
My ticket is still there, FWIW.

VOIPoTim
03-30-2009, 01:59 PM
My ticket is still there, FWIW.

They're back.

We're working this week on consolidating all that into vPanel so it's one login vs two.

frankd1
03-30-2009, 02:43 PM
They're back.

We're working this week on consolidating all that into vPanel so it's one login vs two.

Tim-

Any idea of an ETA on the fix for the virtual # VM problem? It's actually getting worse now... I just tested it, and now I get a disconnect intercept if I let the call to the virtual # roll to VM. :(

Frank

Russell
03-30-2009, 06:55 PM
Should I still be sitting tight :-)? What's the latest - a little status update will be appreciated.

frankd1
03-30-2009, 07:16 PM
Mine seemed to start working again about 2 hours ago, but I'd also like some confirmation that they know what the problem was/is and it's fixed with some certainty (so my paranoia about missing calls can subside).

VOIPoBrandon
03-30-2009, 07:29 PM
Mine seemed to start working again about 2 hours ago, but I'd also like some confirmation that they know what the problem was/is and it's fixed with some certainty (so my paranoia about missing calls can subside).

Frank, that is correct -- we have officially finished pushing out updates to our proxies that resolve these voicemail issues as of 03/30/2009 8:25pm CST. This update should also resolve issues with Goodbyes and Dead Air when forwarding another number to the VOIPo number or virtual number. Please do let us know if you or any one else is still currently experiencing any further voicemail oddities, thank you everyone for your patience and cooperation!
________
MAZDA L PLATFORM HISTORY (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Mazda_L_platform)

Russell
03-30-2009, 07:47 PM
Frank, that is correct -- we have officially finished pushing out updates to our proxies that resolve these voicemail issues as of 03/30/2009 8:25pm CST. This update should also resolve issues with Goodbyes and Dead Air when forwarding another number to the VOIPo number or virtual number. Please do let us know if you or any one else is still currently experiencing any further voicemail oddities, thank you everyone for your patience and cooperation!
Appreciate all the effort! My one test call got our recorded message and not the canned one.

VOIPoBrandon
03-30-2009, 07:50 PM
Appreciate all the effort! My one test call got our recorded message and not the canned one.

No problem at all -- that is what we're here for! Glad to hear things so far so good, again do keep us updated if you run into any issues, thanks!

frankd1
03-30-2009, 09:52 PM
No problem at all -- that is what we're here for! Glad to hear things so far so good, again do keep us updated if you run into any issues, thanks!

Brandon-

I don't know how widespread the issue was, and I know you're juggling a lot with upgrading the PAP2T f/w, finishing the GS recall, etc. But will you be posting a recap of what caused the problem? This one spooked me a little, because it apparently was going on (in my case anyway) for at least four days before I noticed, and the only reason I discovered it was my dad telling me my outgoing greeting sounded "weird" (the generic message), and why I didn't return his calls. With other problems, we notice quickly if our calls aren't connecting, voicemails are garbled, etc, and we complain/you fix pretty quickly. But all the people leaving messages on my virtual line over several days could think I was blowing them off because I didn't know anything about the messages they left, and depending on the situation, explaining that I was having "voicemail problems" can sound pretty lame.

Anyway, as long as voicemail and/or failover are in place and working correctly, I can zen out most hiccups for the short time it takes to fix them. But if these systems fail, and in this instance, fail without any obvious indication to anyone that something needs fixing, I lose my zen. So any details you're able to share are appreciated!

Frank

VOIPoBrandon
03-31-2009, 02:18 PM
Frank,

Essentially there were just some lingering bugs with virtual numbers / voicemail that were most recently addressed, we ended up just completing redoing voicemail routing -- so it handles all of these complete scenarios.

Thanks!