PDA

View Full Version : XLite causes PAP2T to fail re-registration

dbmaven
03-31-2009, 11:40 AM
I've seen this a couple of times - an incoming call on my VOIPo line, everything rings, none can actually answer successfully (Line 1, Line 2 or XLite) - and then the PAP2T fails to re-register both lines. Seems to be 'mass confusion' going on.

I searched and could not find any 'current' specifications for setting up XLite.
Could someone from Voipo post the specific configuration settings necessary - ideally screen shots of the dialogs. Maybe it could even be added to the FAQ so that it's easy to find for those who need/want it.

I'm reasonably sure that something is askew with the XLite config - which is why I didn't feel it necessary to open a support ticket.

dbmaven
03-31-2009, 11:48 AM
I took the liberty of doing screen shots of what currently exists on my XLite config - attached.

VOIPoTim
03-31-2009, 11:51 AM
Try adding a port to your X-Lite registration string that's not in use by the ATA.

That way when the registration response comes back to your network, it'll be on a different port.

So it'd be like east01.voipwelcome.com:5062

dbmaven
03-31-2009, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the quick response Tim.

So this would be in the 'DOMAIN' entry that currently shows "EAST01.VOIPWELCOME.COM" - and since 5062/5079 are the current ports for the PAP2, I should use something like 5065 ?

dbmaven
03-31-2009, 11:58 AM
5065 and 5070 both got time outs/failed to register.

5060 worked.

VOIPoTim
03-31-2009, 12:13 PM
5065 and 5070 both got time outs/failed to register.

5060 worked.

For East01, you can use 5060, 5061, 5062, 5069, or 5079.

dbmaven
03-31-2009, 12:36 PM
Good info - thanks.

sr98user
03-31-2009, 12:42 PM
Did you get it to work? I think you have to put the local port in "Topology" section in the "Manually specify port range".

Also, I am not sure if Voipo allows more than 2 lines to register for incoming calls.

VOIPoTim
03-31-2009, 01:10 PM
Did you get it to work? I think you have to put the local port in "Topology" section in the "Manually specify port range".

Also, I am not sure if Voipo allows more than 2 lines to register for incoming calls.

That may be the case... I'm not personally sure, but will ask one of our support guys to confirm.

dbmaven
03-31-2009, 04:11 PM
Same behavior on Port 5061.

Incoming call rings to all, answered on XLite. PAP2 lines keep ringing (that's annoying...).

Then both ports on the PAP2 fail to register.

Reboot the PAP2 leads nowhere - and I can't bounce my network.

Russell
03-31-2009, 04:41 PM
I'm a new customer - had the ATA less than a week. Tim, can you describe VOIPo policy (or point me to an online reference) w.r.t softphones? I understand that they need to point to the same server as the ATA. Other than that are there any restrictions to using a softphone in addition to your supplied ATA? With my current provider (which has no restrictions), we've taken a laptop and softphone to both Europe and Asia and used it to call home and return calls which I thought was a really nice feature.

VOIPoTim
03-31-2009, 04:55 PM
I'm a new customer - had the ATA less than a week. Tim, can you describe VOIPo policy (or point me to an online reference) w.r.t softphones? I understand that they need to point to the same server as the ATA. Other than that are there any restrictions to using a softphone in addition to your supplied ATA? With my current provider (which has no restrictions), we've taken a laptop and softphone to both Europe and Asia and used it to call home and return calls which I thought was a really nice feature.

Yeah, that's no problem. The big thing is just being connected to the same server as ATA (so incoming calls go to right one).

Incoming calls will route to both the softphone and ATA. Whichever one answers first will get the call.

You should be fine using it while traveling.

dbmaven
03-31-2009, 05:04 PM

Tim - anything from the support/techs on this?

sr98user
03-31-2009, 07:20 PM
I just setup Xlite with my credentials and it works as we expect it to work. With incoming calls, when I pick up the any of my phones or softphone, the other phones stop ringing. Audio is perfect too on the softphone.

Here is what I used.
Display Name
UserName
Password
Domain - east01.voipwelcome.com (which is where my ATA is registered)
Checked "Register with domain and receive incoming calls"

In Topology section I set "Manually specify range" to 6060-6061. Doesnt really matter which port you set to. My PAP2T ports are 5061 and 5062. Just didn't want to clash with those ports.

In Advanced section, I set it to re-register every 60 seconds. Send keep alives and User port buttons are checked.

When the softphone registers, you will see 3 entries in the vPanel->Devices page. When you exit the softphone, that extra entry will go away.

dbmaven
03-31-2009, 07:29 PM
Thanks - I've had it working just fine - at least for outbound calling - for a while. The only "new news" is about the port range...

I'd like to hear from the VOIPo tech team about the XLite port range thing...

sr98user
03-31-2009, 07:35 PM
The port that you specify is really a local port on your side. You can use any port you want as long as your router does not block the incoming packets to those ports.

Don't use the port number in the domain field. It will automatically connect to 5060 port on the SIP server side.

J.Azaria
03-31-2009, 08:47 PM
The port that you specify is really a local port on your side. You can use any port you want as long as your router does not block the incoming packets to those ports.

sr98: Just to clarify a bit (I'm not currently using a softphone btw, but might try it out in the coming weeks) what you're saying here is a) This field specifies ports local to *my network* for the softphone and b) these ports must either be forwarded to the softphone PC or said PC must be DMZ'd so that these ports are accessible for incoming traffic.

Is that correct?

Russell
03-31-2009, 08:52 PM
sr98: Just to clarify a bit (I'm not currently using a softphone btw, but might try it out in the coming weeks) what you're saying here is a) This field specifies ports local to *my network* for the softphone and b) these ports must either be forwarded to the softphone PC or said PC must be DMZ'd so that these ports are accessible for incoming traffic.

Is that correct?
Not entirely. I believe softphones are smart enough to traverse routers (just as you can put an ATA behind a router without DMZing it or opening / forwarding ports) using STUN or some other mechanism.

dbmaven
03-31-2009, 09:14 PM

Don't use the port number in the domain field. It will automatically connect to 5060 port on the SIP server side.

Wait just a minute...

You're saying NOT to add Colon/port (e.g. :5061) to the domain ??

After VoipoTim explicitly said to do that, using one of these ports?

For East01, you can use 5060, 5061, 5062, 5069, or 5079.

http://forums.voipo.com/showpost.php?p=11062&postcount=3

:confused:

Xponder1
03-31-2009, 10:22 PM
Wait just a minute...

I tested it both ways and did not have a problem either way.

sr98user
04-01-2009, 04:32 AM

Is that correct?

Most of the routers will automatically forward the incoming traffic to the appropriate softphone or the adapter. Some routers are very restrictive and some users might have a firewall which you might have to configure. Also, if you have any port forwarding that will come in the picture too..

Generally speaking, don't DMZ, dont port forward and see if everything works correctly. I don't do any of these. You might hit some problems when there is a port conflict on your end. This can be fixed by using STUN, setting rport field etc..

sr98user
04-01-2009, 04:52 AM
Wait just a minute...

I know he said that. Maybe the SIP servers are configured to listen on all those ports that are listed. I think Xponder has confirmed that it works with the port setting in the domain field. But I don't think you have to set it. 5060 is the default and it works fine.

Regarding the port setting, I think the original issue was there might be a port conflict on your side. e.g. PAP2T uses 5061 and 5062. To avoid conflicting with those ports and making your router's job easy, Tim was asking you to pick a different port.

Here is something that will "may be" make it easier to understand.. Each NAT mapping has the following fields (each field is IPaddress/port combination)

Inside local -> Inside Global -> Outside Global -> Outside local

At each step, address and port field could be different. If there is no port conflict then "Inside local" port and "Inside Global" port will most probably be same and SIP messages don't have to be modified. Tim was talking about the ports on the "Outside Global" and "Manually specify ports" field sets the ports on the "Inside local" side.