PDA

View Full Version : Mutltiple PAP2Ts behind router?

frankd1
04-05-2009, 12:49 PM
I currently have my PAP2T behind my DD-WRT router, with UDP ports 56, 69, 5060-5062 and 35000-65000 all forwarded to my PAP2T (which has a static DHCP assignment).

My partner finally got fed up with his POTS line's inability to block/filter recurring calls from telemarketers and creditors for the person who previously owned his phone #, so he signed up for VOIPo, and will probably port his number over once he's played with VOIPo for a week or two.

It's been stated in various threads that there's no need to forward ports for the PAP2T, although tech support sometimes suggests it when they're troubleshooting some problems.

My question is: will I need to do anything special to have two VOIPo PAP2Ts run reliably behind my router? Since the general line is port forwarding is unnecessary in most cases, I figured I'd disable the forwards I'm currently running. I currently have UPNP disabled, but I'm figuring I might need to enable it once the 2nd ATA gets here.

Any feedback from those who have successfully run similar setups is appreciated!!

Frank

burris
04-05-2009, 01:01 PM
I currently have my PAP2T behind my DD-WRT router, with UDP ports 56, 69, 5060-5062 and 35000-65000 all forwarded to my PAP2T (which has a static DHCP assignment).

My partner finally got fed up with his POTS line's inability to block/filter recurring calls from telemarketers and creditors for the person who previously owned his phone #, so he signed up for VOIPo, and will probably port his number over once he's played with VOIPo for a week or two.

It's been stated in various threads that there's no need to forward ports for the PAP2T, although tech support sometimes suggests it when they're troubleshooting some problems.

My question is: will I need to do anything special to have two VOIPo PAP2Ts run reliably behind my router? Since the general line is port forwarding is unnecessary in most cases, I figured I'd disable the forwards I'm currently running. I currently have UPNP disabled, but I'm figuring I might need to enable it once the 2nd ATA gets here.

Any feedback from those who have successfully run similar setups is appreciated!!

Frank

I've said it so many times, even I'm tired of hearing it.

I have 2 accounts with 2 PAP2Ts...both plugged in behind my router with nothing...no DMZ...no port fwding...nothing.

The only change I made was to disable the firewall in the router. It's redundant and troublesome. Use your third party firewall..

Haven't had the first problem like this..

Montano
04-05-2009, 01:32 PM
I also have 2 PAP2's behind my router with no port forwarding, no DMZ, nothing. I also have an IP phone behind my router, no problems at all.

frankd1
04-05-2009, 01:55 PM
I've said it so many times, even I'm tired of hearing it.

I have 2 accounts with 2 PAP2Ts...both plugged in behind my router with nothing...no DMZ...no port fwding...nothing.

The only change I made was to disable the firewall in the router. It's redundant and troublesome. Use your third party firewall..

Haven't had the first problem like this..

Thanks Burris. Like I mentioned in my original post, I acknowleged people successfully use VOIPo without any port forwarding, so I'm sorry I forced you to say your "it" one more time.

What happens if you leave your router firewall active? I know the router's NAT gives a lot of protection, and all the PCs in my house are running Zone or Kaspersky suites which include firewall. But I've got over 20 networked devices in the house (DVRs, printservers, PDAs, various A/V components with networking capabilities, etc), so especially for the non-PC devices, I'd prefer to keep the router's SPI firewall running if possible. I see that you run ASUS routers with ASUS firmware... I have a lot of experience with ASUS routers myself (I currently run a WL-500w and WL-500G Premium V2, and have been an ASUS mobo fan for about 8 years now, and started playing with their routers back in 2005). Neither of these are the routers I'm using at home now, and I eventually put WW-DRT on both of them, but I ran them both with the ASUS f/w for a couple months. Very reliable and sturdy, as you previously mentioned, but their firewall doesn't behave the same as other routers' firewalls. Not better or worse, just different. Did you have VOIPo problems if you left the ASUS firewall active? I guess I'm asking if running the two ATAs is what prompted you to disable the ASUS firewall?

Also, if I infer correctly (and I'm sorry if I'm wrong) you have DSL. I just recently switched in January from AT&T DSL to Comcast HSI (even with cable's wild througput swings during the day, the cable 16/2 tier still blows away my 6/768 DSL tier I had). My point is when I had DSL, I saw little to no probing in my router logs. But the second I switched to cable, there's a steady stream of probes- from China, Russia, other cable customers' bots, etc). It's the nature of the cable beast, but it makes me more hesitant to disable my router's SPI than if I was still on DSL.

Thanks again!
Frank

usa2k
04-05-2009, 03:13 PM
I have a pair also.
In the various VoIP services since late 2003, I've never port forwarded.
I do admit there were times where they were direct connect to the modem with the help of a switch.

Currently both are behind Tomato 1.23
Not because I asked, but one has ports 5061 and 5062.
The other has ports 5061 and 5062.
(Before the PAP2T software update, they were different.)

burris
04-05-2009, 05:50 PM
Thanks Burris. Like I mentioned in my original post, I acknowleged people successfully use VOIPo without any port forwarding, so I'm sorry I forced you to say your "it" one more time.

What happens if you leave your router firewall active? I know the router's NAT gives a lot of protection, and all the PCs in my house are running Zone or Kaspersky suites which include firewall. But I've got over 20 networked devices in the house (DVRs, printservers, PDAs, various A/V components with networking capabilities, etc), so especially for the non-PC devices, I'd prefer to keep the router's SPI firewall running if possible. I see that you run ASUS routers with ASUS firmware... I have a lot of experience with ASUS routers myself (I currently run a WL-500w and WL-500G Premium V2, and have been an ASUS mobo fan for about 8 years now, and started playing with their routers back in 2005). Neither of these are the routers I'm using at home now, and I eventually put WW-DRT on both of them, but I ran them both with the ASUS f/w for a couple months. Very reliable and sturdy, as you previously mentioned, but their firewall doesn't behave the same as other routers' firewalls. Not better or worse, just different. Did you have VOIPo problems if you left the ASUS firewall active? I guess I'm asking if running the two ATAs is what prompted you to disable the ASUS firewall?

Also, if I infer correctly (and I'm sorry if I'm wrong) you have DSL. I just recently switched in January from AT&T DSL to Comcast HSI (even with cable's wild througput swings during the day, the cable 16/2 tier still blows away my 6/768 DSL tier I had). My point is when I had DSL, I saw little to no probing in my router logs. But the second I switched to cable, there's a steady stream of probes- from China, Russia, other cable customers' bots, etc). It's the nature of the cable beast, but it makes me more hesitant to disable my router's SPI than if I was still on DSL.

Thanks again!
Frank

Why not leave it enabled and if you have no problems OK. If yo do have a problem, this might be the first place to look. I really don't remember why I had to remove it.

I may have mentioned that for me, DSL is far more reliable than Comcast. I have half the speed but 10 times the reliability. My real reason for switching to DSL was that in South Florida we have lots of storms, hurricanes and lightning. Comcast had a habit of going down with the least provocation, and since I have no land line, I was out of service too many times and for too long. With DSL, the BellSouth is far more reliable during storms, so along with a number of UPS boxes, I feel safer. Comcast had a 2Gb/month cap on newsgroups that I didn't like.
Also, I find that for me, VOIP works a lot better on DSL.

Let us know how it works out for you. Maybe be helpful to others.

Good Luck..

Russell
04-05-2009, 08:38 PM
Fwiw, I've run multiple ATAs behind my $10 router with no port forwarding. Also, NAT is not disabled on the router.

frankd1
04-07-2009, 12:48 AM
Thanks for all the reassurance everyone. The 2nd PAP2T arrived today, and installation was relatively painless. I first disabled my existing port forwards, and verified my original line still worked (like everyone said it would). Plugged the 2nd ATA in, and the only problem I encountered was calls between the PAP2Ts would give busies- a quick search indicated ATAs behind the same router needed to be on the same server, so a quick call to support and the new account was moved to the server I was already on. Problem solved. And YMMV, but with the latest DD-WRT build, leaving the router's firewall active didn't cause any problems.

So get us out of The Planet, and let's move forward!