PDA

View Full Version : No more DTMF tones...

ptrowski
04-07-2009, 05:14 PM
Which is great since we switched to Inband but now the Voipo voicemail can't be checked from my Voipo line. Support mentioned some IVR's would not work but surely I can check my voicemail, correct?

sr98user
04-07-2009, 05:32 PM
Voicemail uses DTMF too. I am thinking the same problem will exist. I remember when Viatalk went to new architecture DTMF did not work for a number of folks who used Inband. They had to change it to Auto.

Xponder1
04-07-2009, 05:36 PM
Which is great since we switched to Inband but now the Voipo voicemail can't be checked from my Voipo line. Support mentioned some IVR's would not work but surely I can check my voicemail, correct?

Only out of curiosity (and to make some conversation) could you please explain what you mean by "we switched to inband". The voicemail not working without proper DTMF tones makes since. I am fuzzy on the whole inband thing.

VOIPoTim
04-07-2009, 05:47 PM
Yeah that's the main reason we don't use inband by default when someone asks about DTMF. So far we've still only had 4 complaints about it that I know of.

Sorry, you should have been told about VM upfront with it when you requested move to inband. The voicemail system isn't currently compatible with it.

You'll be able to check it using the remote access number 832-838-7000 but it requires AVT/RFC8322 for checking it from the VOIPo line.

ptrowski
04-07-2009, 08:16 PM
I guess I will reprogram our voicemail buttons on the phones to call that number. Thanks Tim.

dcurrey
04-08-2009, 06:29 AM
Off the wall idea but just set line 1 for inband. Leave line 2 on auto. Just when you wife calls always answer line 1. Always check voicemail with line 2.

ptrowski
04-08-2009, 06:48 AM
Off the wall idea but just set line 1 for inband. Leave line 2 on auto. Just when you wife calls always answer line 1. Always check voicemail with line 2.

I might try that, but I think that she just wants to pick up the phone and check VM. I understand that certain IVR's would have issues like a bank, etc. Just not the Voipo vm. So is Inband and auto pretty much the two choices?

usa2k
04-08-2009, 06:49 AM
Off the wall idea but just set line 1 for inband. Leave line 2 on auto. Just when you wife calls always answer line 1. Always check voicemail with line 2. You are a genius!

BTW, I *almost* never hear tones. To call the wife, I use DTMF for reaching her extension. Its usually a handy test location for me too. Never known a DTMF issue with any provider I have had.

ptrowski
04-08-2009, 06:57 AM
You are a genius!

BTW, I *almost* never hear tones. To call the wife, I use DTMF for reaching her extension. Its usually a handy test location for me too. Never known a DTMF issue with any provider I have had.

Me neither which is why I was surprised. It also seems to be PAP2 specific as it only happens with the PAP2 from Voipo, not the GS502 from Voipo or the VT PAP2 and GS. Very odd.

dcurrey
04-08-2009, 07:00 AM
I might try that, but I think that she just wants to pick up the phone and check VM. I understand that certain IVR's would have issues like a bank, etc. Just not the Voipo vm. So is Inband and auto pretty much the two choices?

Pap2 also have AVT and INFO. Never have seen them used by any voip provider so my guess is they won't work.

Also I don't know if voipo tried to change DTMF Tx Mode to strict. Options are strict and normal. Viatalk has it set to strict and I still get them once in a while. Voipo setting is not listed in the config file so I assume they use default. Would have to look up what the default is.

I get about the same amount of DTMF sounds with both companies. So its either set the same or doesn't really matter.

Russell
04-08-2009, 07:07 AM
BTW, I *almost* never hear tones.

You guys consider having your ears checked? :-) :-)

sr98user
04-08-2009, 07:21 AM
ptrowski,

Have you tried setting the DTMF method to Auto after you installed DD-WRT? If you haven't tried, its probably worth a try.

The only times I hear tones are from Magicjack phones. Even with Magicjack, its not all the time. And people who call me from Magicjack phones have high latency because of the geographical presence.

dcurrey
04-08-2009, 07:28 AM
You guys consider having your ears checked? :-) :-)

We would we do that? We hear them just fine. Seems you need your hearing checked. ;)

ptrowski
04-08-2009, 07:37 AM
ptrowski,

Have you tried setting the DTMF method to Auto after you installed DD-WRT? If you haven't tried, its probably worth a try.

The only times I hear tones are from Magicjack phones. Even with Magicjack, its not all the time. And people who call me from Magicjack phones have high latency because of the geographical presence.

No I have not. I can give it try.

burris
04-08-2009, 07:54 AM
The PAP2T DTMF from Voipo is provisioned for 'auto' and 'strict'

As I said, I have yet to hear the first tone ever, with any adapter or provider..

ptrowski
04-08-2009, 07:55 AM
The PAP2T DTMF from Voipo is provisioned for 'auto' and 'strict'

As I said, I have yet to hear the first tone ever, with any adapter or provider..

That's great Burris, you have mentioned it many times. Neither have I though until the PAP2 specifically on Voipo, but not with the 502 on Voipo.

dcurrey
04-08-2009, 07:59 AM
I have yet to find a provider that I don't hear them. 5 years and 4 providers and only my wife does this.

I guess the solution is to get a new wife.

I can see the divorce papers stated reason for divorce "She DTMFs me"

tritch
04-09-2009, 03:19 AM
ptrowski,

I bought a Linksys SPA2102 to solve my DTMF talk-off issue (as well as the known NAT problems with newer Linksys routers). It has a DTMF "strict hold off time" setting which the PAP2 did not have in the earlier firmware. I don't know if the latest 5.1.6 firmware has this "strict hold off" setting, but if it does maybe you can ask tech support to try the settings below.

The "Inband+INFO" was needed instead of "Inband" only to maintain compatibility to Voipo VM system. I had to move the Strict Hold Off Time from the default value of 40 to a value greater than 90 to eliminate the DTMF talk-off.

Hope this helps.

DTMF Tx Method: InBand+INFO
DTMF Tx Mode: Strict
DTMF Tx Strict Hold Off Time: 100

ptrowski
05-10-2009, 01:14 PM
Yeah that's the main reason we don't use inband by default when someone asks about DTMF. So far we've still only had 4 complaints about it that I know of.

Sorry, you should have been told about VM upfront with it when you requested move to inband. The voicemail system isn't currently compatible with it.

You'll be able to check it using the remote access number 832-838-7000 but it requires AVT/RFC8322 for checking it from the VOIPo line.

Sorry to drag up my old thread, but I tried called the access line for checking voicemail and it doesn't recognize the DTMF tones either.

If I am set to inband for DTMF method is there zero way to check my voicemail from my Voipo line?

VOIPoTim
05-10-2009, 01:17 PM
Sorry to drag up my old thread, but I tried called the access line for checking voicemail and it doesn't recognize the DTMF tones either.

If I am set to inband for DTMF method is there zero way to check my voicemail from my Voipo line?

Not from the VOIPo line directly. You could use the access number remotely or hit * when your voicemail greeting comes on.

We're working on pushing out some voicemail changes in general soon and when that's done it will support inband. It's just that the current implementation doesn't.

We may be able to add another option like 124 that proxies the call through another system and converts the DTMF so it's compatible with the voicemail system. I'm not 100% sure on it, but can check into it this week.

VOIPoTim
05-20-2009, 01:06 AM

Can you try dialing 123 now? We added a handler tonight to detect "Inband DTMF" and proxy the call to VM and recode the DTMF for it.

So in theory, you should be able to use 123 right now. It's working for us in testing, but I wanted to confirm.

burris
05-20-2009, 03:59 AM
Tim....

What am I missing?

As I mentioned in my post yesterday, why should the DTMF work for me and most others and not for David? It would seem to me that there may be other combinations of components involved that are causing this problem.
Maybe the phone itself-how the ISP handles the data-the router settings, etc.

ptrowski
05-20-2009, 06:41 AM
Can you try dialing 123 now? We added a handler tonight to detect "Inband DTMF" and proxy the call to VM and recode the DTMF for it.

So in theory, you should be able to use 123 right now. It's working for us in testing, but I wanted to confirm.

Seems to be working, thanks! That is a big help.