PDA

View Full Version : Possibly the dumbest question of all time

kevinj
04-14-2009, 06:34 PM
I am a user, not a hacker ... so here is the question ...

I read these forum posts and find myself reading about port forwarding, and dropouts, and dynamic versus static ip (I know the difference, but I am bewildered as to how it might impact call quality or system availability), and tomato vs std firewall ... and a number of other dumbfounding technical issues.

I have been an ATTCV user for about 3 years ... my first ATA was replaced after a week due to static (bad firmware) and my second ATA blew a power supply ... but other than that, I NEVER EVER had the need to tinker.

So my question is: are we talking tinkering on the bleeding edge here? Are we talking about the difference between 97% perfect and 98% perfect?

My service (so far - just a week!) has been fine. I am pretty fussy ... but what are all you folks talking about!? ;)

Vumes
04-14-2009, 07:23 PM
Well with the standardization of only sending out the PAP2T, I am pretty sure that *most* users will not need to tinker with any settings at all. I know that with the GS device that I had at first, I def needed to forward ports, but with the PAP2T, I just plug it into the router without ports forwarded, and it magically works. Ok, not magically, but hopefully you get my drift.

I believe that as far as the hardware goes, you shouldn't be doing any tinkering at all. It should all be seamless, and now that Voipo has migrated away from The Planet, I think for the most part we will see smooth seas ahead. It'll be just like a pots line, without all the extra fees and taxes.

burris
04-15-2009, 04:07 AM
I am a user, not a hacker ... so here is the question ...

I read these forum posts and find myself reading about port forwarding, and dropouts, and dynamic versus static ip (I know the difference, but I am bewildered as to how it might impact call quality or system availability), and tomato vs std firewall ... and a number of other dumbfounding technical issues.

I have been an ATTCV user for about 3 years ... my first ATA was replaced after a week due to static (bad firmware) and my second ATA blew a power supply ... but other than that, I NEVER EVER had the need to tinker.

So my question is: are we talking tinkering on the bleeding edge here? Are we talking about the difference between 97% perfect and 98% perfect?

My service (so far - just a week!) has been fine. I am pretty fussy ... but what are all you folks talking about!? ;)

I think you posed the questions very well..

There is a quest to tweak in order to achieve that 1 or 2%. For what, I'll never know, but I'm sure others will post to indicate what they are looking to achieve.

I think that about 99% of the users simply plug and play, and any tweaking necessary is done by the provider or via a specific instruction given to the user. When a problem arises, desperation sets in and everything seems to be thrown against the wall to see what sticks.

Mosy everyone who posts in this forum comes from the world of tweaking and many of the original beta testers are BYOD, so this leads to more tweaking. You already alluded to the fact that the Vonages, CV and Cable VOIP providers have the greater majority of subscribers, who are given a box to plug in and no license to change anything. Sure, networks will go down and crazy problems will surface, but for the most part, will work well.

I think that Tim has this philosophy and after working out the unexpected kinks, will join the ranks of the solid reliable providers. The BYODers will continue to futz around and look for that extra 2%, adding a burden and expense to the support costs. To be fair, many of the BYODers have discovered and suggested improvements and discovered other technical glitches that I'm sure VOIPo appreciates.

For me, I simply want to talk and listen reliably. When I want to tweak, I tear down and rebuild my PCs and programs all the time, but not my phone service.

kevinj
04-15-2009, 07:54 AM
Good input from Vumes and Burris ... thanks!

Yeah, I feel better that I won't *need* to tweak! ;)

But I am also VERY interested in watching the technology (without getting my hands into it) ... this forum is great.

And, along the way, I may offer some "user level" input ... I completely understand that Voipo is growing (migrating, but also changing) its infrastructure, and that active & observant help from the user community will help shorten the life of any deployment bugs.

Thanks ... (and so far, I am VERY pleased with Voipo ... gimme two weeks, and I will be all over DLSR with high marks).

Montano
04-15-2009, 11:21 AM
I think you posed the questions very well..

There is a quest to tweak in order to achieve that 1 or 2%. For what, I'll never know, but I'm sure others will post to indicate what they are looking to achieve.

Bleeding edge is what it's all about for me. I want the latest firmware with QoS on my router, I want to adjust the packet size on my TA, I want to push the limits of VoIP. :)

usa2k
04-15-2009, 01:49 PM
But you settled at VOIPo where you get reliability :)

Montano
04-15-2009, 02:42 PM
But you settled at VOIPo where you get reliability :)

I'm BYOD, so I get the best of both worlds :)