PDA

View Full Version : 2 Line house wiring issue

sr98user
04-16-2009, 12:19 PM
I have a 2 line house wiring. I have connected the two PAP2 phone ports to the two phone ports on the wall outlet. Both lines are working fine.

Here is the issue. When I am on Line 1 talking and I get a call waiting tone, I hear a faint ring in between tones. I assume this is the ring from the other line. Another issue I notice is when I am on Line1 and someone is dialing on Line2, I hear the faint button tones on Line 1. I have not checked if the audio spills over.

If I connect the Line2 of PAP2 directly to a phone, then I do not see the above issues. I think my house wiring is causing the issue. I checked the wall outlets at two places where I have the phones plugged in, I dont see any wires crossing. But they are pretty close. Actually there are 4 wires for each line. And all 8 wires go into a bigger wire covering.

Does anyone know what might cause this problem or if there is a setting in PAP2 that can alleviate this problem? I did try setting the ring waveform to Trapezoid (70 for voltage and 25 for freq) and the first issue went away. But I still see the other issue...

Thanks

TomP
04-16-2009, 12:39 PM
That sounds like classic crosstalk and I don't believe there's anything you can do to eliminate it, except to replace your wiring with twisted cable (i.e. Cat 5/6/etc..) or to switch to a wireless phone for at least 1 of your lines so you're not doubling up on the old phone cable. Perhaps others here will have additional suggestions. The problem, as I understand it, is that because the wires in old phone cable run in parallel, the audio can leak from one line to the other. Twisted wire, for whatever reason, eliminates this.

sr98user
04-16-2009, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the info, TomP.

I do have two cordless phone sets. I just didn't want to put it in the same place as my router, adapter, modem, mybook, ups, second ata, etc... If I can't find a solution, then I will probably end up connecting the one of the phones directly.

sommerfeld
04-22-2009, 04:48 PM
Twisted wire, for whatever reason, eliminates this.
There's an explanation in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twisted_pair.