PDA

View Full Version : Softphone

Brian
04-21-2009, 12:58 PM
I'll be traveling in a few days, and was wondering which server I should use to register my softphone. Will sip work, or should I stick with another?

VOIPoDylan
04-21-2009, 01:31 PM
We are slowly phasing out of sip.voipwelcome.com (it's based in ThePlanet).
I would recommend using using either central01.voipwelcome.com or east01.voipwelcome.com

VOIPoTim
04-21-2009, 01:58 PM
The key is to make sure you use the same server that your ATA is using. Otherwise incoming won't work reliably.

Brian
04-21-2009, 03:12 PM
The key is to make sure you use the same server that your ATA is using. Otherwise incoming won't work reliably.

What's the best way to ensure my number stays on one server or another? I'd thought I was on east, but found out the other day I'm on central. I don't especially care which one, but if it makes a difference, can I request support to set it to one or the other and leave it there?

Montano
04-21-2009, 03:13 PM
When will we see a west01 (Seattle) ?

VOIPoTim
04-21-2009, 03:59 PM
When will we see a west01 (Seattle) ?

There's still more latency with it than we're comfortable with at this point. It's something we're looking into more in the future though.

Hawkmeister
04-22-2009, 07:51 AM
Is there a way for me to determine which server my ATA is using? I'm not BYOD and I've noticed the symptom that Tim mentioned earlier. My X-Lite is set to sip.voipwelcome.com.

VOIPoDylan
04-22-2009, 07:56 AM
Is there a way for me to determine which server my ATA is using? I'm not BYOD and I've noticed the symptom that Tim mentioned earlier. My X-Lite is set to sip.voipwelcome.com.

Hawkmeister - you're on east01. If anyone else is unsure of which server their ATA is connecting to - please open a ticket and we'll let you know.

usa2k
04-22-2009, 08:00 AM
Hawkmeister - you're on east01. If anyone else is unsure of which server their ATA is connecting to - please open a ticket and we'll let you know.
Too bad vPanel does not show it!

VOIPoDylan
04-22-2009, 08:35 AM
Too bad vPanel does not show it!

True. I'll raise this with Tim and the Developers and see if we can get this added to vPanel's display.

Vumes
04-22-2009, 09:09 AM
True. I'll raise this with Tim and the Developers and see if we can get this added to vPanel's display.

That would be very nice if it is possible.

Brody
04-22-2009, 10:06 AM

While you're talking to the Developers, can you run by them a "Voicemail" tab in vPanel? That would be soooooo useful!

Russell
04-22-2009, 05:31 PM

Here's another vote for the VPanel showing it. This would be useful for us poor saps who don't have the admin password. And, would cut down on support tickets asking for the server.

And, if you'd like to be really cool allow us to choose a different server - the nerds (yes, I know the official line is there's no noticeable difference between, say, 19ms and 59 ms) amongst us who strive for lower ping times will appreciate it.

fisamo
04-23-2009, 08:38 AM
Perhaps an ideal place for something like this would be a Line Status page that replaces the "Devices" page. That page could have a layout that includes the following information:

Phone number:
Device IP: (if you easily see the public IP with your current PAP2 provisioned configuration--kinda useless if it reports a private IP)
Device Status: (Not Registered, Idle, Active call(s) with [peer#(s)] )
Last Registration: (could be useful if current status is "Not Registered")
Re-registration: (better wording than "Register Expires", optional if you think confusing)
Registration Server:

My primary concern with this type of page is user confusion. This potential for confusion simply needs to be balanced with perceived advantage, such as for troubleshooting.

FWIW, with CallVantage, we had none of this information, and all I really knew (or cared) was that both incoming and outgoing calls worked. Ideally, any switching between servers is transparent (and thus unimportant) to the end user.

VOIPoTim
04-23-2009, 09:13 AM
Yeah, this sounds like a good idea. We just need to find a way to balance it so people don't either get confused or think their service will not work correctly if they're connected to a server that's not close to them.

I'll see what we can do.

burris
04-23-2009, 10:46 AM
Yeah, this sounds like a good idea. We just need to find a way to balance it so people don't either get confused or think their service will not work correctly if they're connected to a server that's not close to them.

I'll see what we can do.

I really wonder if this won't cause a good deal more work for customer support. The user will switch-call support-support will re-switch and as soon as the users are own their own again, they will switch again...never honing in on the original problem.

As I read what fisamo wrote...

"FWIW, with CallVantage, we had none of this information, and all I really knew (or cared) was that both incoming and outgoing calls worked. Ideally, any switching between servers is transparent (and thus unimportant) to the end user."

I would think that you should have full control..I can envision a lot of users switching all over the place looking to save 10-20 ms, something I have never noticed it making any difference for me. Either the server works or it doesn't.

I would guess that your load balancing may become an issue as your customer base increases.

Just my opinion....

fisamo
04-23-2009, 10:49 AM
At the risk of incurring the wrath of those wanting to know how their calls are routed, perhaps your server naming convention should not directly indicate geography. Should you choose to 'code' in geography, that would be your call, but since network distance is often quite different than geographic distance, I'd suggest that you avoid (or obscure) geographic server designations.

voice1.voipwelcome.com
voip1.voipwelcome.com
sip1.voipwelcome.com

If you wanted to code by geography (or data center),
voice0101 - server #1 in data center #1
voice0305 - server #3 in data center #5
voiceht01 - server #1 in Houston
voiceff03 - server #3 in Fairfax, VA
voicerm02 - server #2 in Redmond, WA

The challenge here is to give people useful information without maybe nice to know but probably unimportant information that could cause undue confusion.

An open question:
I am a cable subscriber, and let's say for discussion that I get 20ms pings to sip.voipwelcome.com. Is it not possible (perhaps even likely) that should my next-door neighbor have a DSL connection, they could see 100ms pings to the same server, simply because they use a different ISP and traffic gets routed differently? 'Worse' yet, if my ISP is Earthlink over TWC and my neighbor is a TWC Road Runner customer (presuming we're on the same cable node), could our ping times differ? Would they necessarily be the same for two customers on the same node with the same ISP? (I'm assuming that to be the most likely case that they'd be the same... :) )

Also, thinking about the 'server roulette' discussions that went on with ViaTalk for a while, there were numerous posts on DSLR about 'richmond-1c' actually being the same box as 'chicago-1i' or similar. It seems to me that discussions like that are more distracting than they are helpful.

Edit to add: The primary reasons I can think of for a user to know which server they're connected with are (1) those able and choosing to use a softphone and wanting incoming calls to work properly, and (2) customers calling in a genuine trouble and being able to tell support that they're on server abc123, and their MWI is stuck or they get horrible latency, etc. Or, it's additional information they can include in a trouble ticket (though support should be able to look it up). Honestly, I think support should (in general) be trained to NOT switch users to a particular server upon request. You (voipo) should be able to manage which server the user is on, based on your knowledge of network loads, etc., not joe user randomly pinging server abc123 and finding a slightly faster connection than to server 789xyz...

Russell
04-23-2009, 09:03 PM

I'll see what we can do.
Yes, something basic which gives the server name will be great to start with. I saw your News message that mentions that the some users were moved around and now I'm wondering if I'm still on east01 :-(. I was going to play with a softphone this weekend and I hate to have to open a ticket each time I want to check this information.

sr98user
04-24-2009, 04:56 AM
An open question:
I am a cable subscriber, and let's say for discussion that I get 20ms pings to sip.voipwelcome.com. Is it not possible (perhaps even likely) that should my next-door neighbor have a DSL connection, they could see 100ms pings to the same server, simply because they use a different ISP and traffic gets routed differently? 'Worse' yet, if my ISP is Earthlink over TWC and my neighbor is a TWC Road Runner customer (presuming we're on the same cable node), could our ping times differ? Would they necessarily be the same for two customers on the same node with the same ISP? (I'm assuming that to be the most likely case that they'd be the same... :) )

It all depends on the "Peering" for that ISP backbone. See the following for details

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peering

There are about 8 NAPs in major cities around the country. That's where the switching happens. If the source and destination has peering happens close to you then you will get lower ping times and lower number of hops. Major providers have equipment in the NAP.

Regarding Earthlink, its been a while, but I think TWC provides only the cable. DNS, routers, DHCP server are all different for Earthlink and RR. But I would think peering will happen in the closest NAP.

BTW, my ping times are about 50-60ms and I don't have any problems with the SIP servers.

fisamo
04-24-2009, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the information. I can confirm that TWC only provides the cable, as my IP address resolves to a cable-(insert-random-looking-characters-here).mindspring.com, and for a while, I was getting the Earthlink DNS redirection search page when firing up my work PC at home (home page is to our intranet).