PDA

View Full Version : Running multiple VoIP providers on my LAN?

bretski
04-24-2009, 10:48 AM
Hi all,

I am looking for some feedback on how well other VoIP providers "play in the sandbox" with Voipo...the company I work with is going with Packet8 for their provider, and I will be getting one of their phones to install in my home office.

Do any/many of you have Packet8 phones running concurrently with your Voipo service? Any issues that I should be aware of? Thanks!

fisamo
04-24-2009, 11:24 AM
I don't have Packet8 running with Voipo, but I do have CallVantage (on MGCP) and a few other SIP providers trunking through my Asterisk connection. I don't see any problems, but I don't use my line a ton, either, so I could be missing any problems that may occur...

VOIPoJustin
04-24-2009, 12:01 PM
The main thing to keep in mind is that a lot of VoIP adapters and services come pre-configured to use certain 'standard' ports for SIP (5060, etc).

You'll want to ensure there's not any conflict/collisions with the multiple devices attempting to utilize the same port(s) on the same network.

Hi all,

I am looking for some feedback on how well other VoIP providers "play in the sandbox" with Voipo...the company I work with is going with Packet8 for their provider, and I will be getting one of their phones to install in my home office.

Do any/many of you have Packet8 phones running concurrently with your Voipo service? Any issues that I should be aware of? Thanks!

bretski
04-24-2009, 01:33 PM
Thank you for the feedback. I think the port issue will be the one to watch for. From what I understand, the phone that I get from Packet8 will not use an ATA...I am guessing that I will have limited/no ability to change configuration. So, I will look to my good friends in support for help when the time comes. ;)

usa2k
04-24-2009, 02:13 PM
I had Packet8 during much of the early beta stage.
Should not be an issue.
If there is a port issue, the the router, or the VOSP is likely doing something wrong with NAT.
I expect Packet8 will be a solid product and simply plug and play.

bretski
04-24-2009, 03:12 PM
I had Packet8 during much of the early beta stage.
Should not be an issue.
If there is a port issue, the the router, or the VOSP is likely doing something wrong with NAT.
I expect Packet8 will be a solid product and simply plug and play.

Good to know! Thanks for the additional input. :)

scott2020
04-24-2009, 03:19 PM
On my setup just to be sure, I configured each of my SIP phones and ATA's to use different SIP and RTP ports. I have the Linksys from VOIPo which I believe uses 5060 and 5061. I also have a Cisco ATA186 that I set to use 5066, and a Grandstream that uses 5101. My Polycom uses something like 5068. The RTP ports are usually above 16000 and sometimes are random depending on the device, but I set them differently if I can.
Scott

chpalmer
04-24-2009, 08:04 PM
I always ask someone how they can have multiple computers browsing the internet if they dont think multiple devices using the same port can work...

I have 4 ata's at work all configured to port 5060 no problems. Guess it depends on the chosen network equipment though...

Russell
04-24-2009, 09:31 PM
I always ask someone how they can have multiple computers browsing the internet if they dont think multiple devices using the same port can work...

I have 4 ata's at work all configured to port 5060 no problems. Guess it depends on the chosen network equipment though...
Very nice analogy.

Fwiw, I have VOIPo's ATA and an old Vonage (Gizmo5, Freedigits) one on the same ports (5060, 5061) behind the same router without an issue.

zcnkac
04-24-2009, 09:42 PM
As long as port forwarding is not used, multiple ATAs should not be a problem.

bretski
05-06-2009, 05:20 PM
I got the Packet8 phone yesterday, and got it up and running today. Aside from some MAC issues, it was plug and play. So far, it seems to be playing in the sandbox well with the voipo phones.