PDA

View Full Version : Custom caller id question

bdyelton
04-28-2009, 12:22 AM
Is it true the custom caller id can only work when both parties are using VOIPo?

VOIPoDylan
04-28-2009, 03:11 AM
Is it true the custom caller id can only work when both parties are using VOIPo?

Caller ID will work only if the number is an ELS number and not a LI number.
Virtual Numbers are usually LI numbers. Numbers you port to us are usually ELS numbers.

fisamo
04-28-2009, 07:31 AM
Do you mean incoming CID or outgoing CID?

I usually think of Custom CID as the ability to customize the name that shows up on your phone with incoming calls. This name information can be set in your phonebook/contact list for any inbound number.

If you mean changing the name that's associated with your number (shows up on CallerID display on someone else's phone when you call them), VoipoDylan's answer above applies.

JimDog
04-28-2009, 10:02 AM
And for those (like me) who don't know the difference: https://www.aretta.com/support/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=5

bdyelton
04-28-2009, 11:20 AM
I chatted with support yesterday and was told that both parties must use VOIPo or else the custom caller id function wouldn't work - I thought that didn't sound right.

Here's my problem:
My cellphone rings up on caller id as (first line) "Cell phone" (second line) (###)###-####. I wanted to change it to (first line) "Brian's Cell" and (second line) "(###)###-#### - but when I use the custom caller id feature, my caller id doesn't show up at all - it just shows as "incoming call". When I delete the custom caller id, it goes back to "Cell phone" on the caller id.

VOIPoDylan
04-28-2009, 11:39 AM
And for those (like me) who don't know the difference: https://www.aretta.com/support/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=5

Sorry for not clarifying guys. I'll make sure we get something added to our KB describing how CID works.

bdyelton
04-28-2009, 01:57 PM
So the custom caller id is a hit or a miss if it will work or not?:confused:

sr98user
04-28-2009, 03:16 PM
Maybe the system does not like the apostrophe character. You can try without that character and see if it works.

Also, if your custom caller id is "Brian" and the Location is "Cell", it will display as "Brian - Cell"

tritch
04-28-2009, 05:40 PM
It works ok for me.

Try this:

1) Click the "Contact" tab

2) Enter the following:

Custom Caller ID: Brian's
Firstname: Brian
Lastname: (his lastname)

3) Click "Create Contact" button and now a "Create Contact Locations" entry screen should appear.

4) Enter the following:

Phone Description: Cell
Phone Number: (his phone number)

Test it again and it should display Brian's - Cell

What I dislike about the feature is that you have to do a workaround to completely customize it. You are required to enter something in the "Phone Description" field like "Cell" or "Home", then it automatically appends a hash mark to the beginning of the phone description when the caller id comes in.

I was able to do a workaround for all my custom id's by using the space key. Most phones only show 15 total characters in the caller id display, any characters beyond that are truncated. Since you want it to show up as Brian's Cell, this is how you would do it:

X = space key

Custom Caller ID: Brian's CellXXX (total number of characters/spaces = 15)
Firstname: Brian
Lastname: (his lastname)

Phone description: (I hit the space key once, then tab to the next field below)
Phone Number: (his phone number)

Now the caller id appears as: Brian's Cell

The hash mark and every character after it is truncated....

ptrowski
04-29-2009, 07:49 AM
What was nice about VT's custom CID was you could click on the number in the call log and set the CID right from there and it was done. No need to create contacts, location etc.
Maybe this is something Voipo can do aslso.

mrkarron
06-01-2009, 05:00 PM
Maybe the system does not like the apostrophe character. You can try without that character and see if it works.

Also, if your custom caller id is "Brian" and the Location is "Cell", it will display as "Brian - Cell"

Not sure if this is a problem or by design: If my custom caller ID is 'Aunt Grace' and location is 'cell' I receive no information. However, if I change the custom ID to just 'Grace' it works. Is a space disallowed in the ID field?

usa2k
06-01-2009, 10:24 PM
Spaces were OK for names I've used like "Mom Dad" and "Lastname"

BUT I see it last said Mom-Dad-Lastname, so something has changed.
That inbound CID came 5-21 ...

BUT I see another with spaces that worked (From today)
I think I maybe put the dashes there!

So I guess, disregard this post!