PDA

View Full Version : Outgoing Caller ID/CNAM

Russell
04-29-2009, 05:10 PM
Tim said in the News and Announcements folder:

In the past newly issued numbers typically only showed the number on Caller ID when you placed a call.

Due to increased volume and growth, we've had more leverage and have worked with some of our primary carriers to expand its availability.

As a result, we now offer Outgoing Caller ID Name in approximately 98% of our Coverage Area for new and ported numbers.

If your number does not show your name on Caller ID when you place calls to others, contact support to check and see if Outgoing Caller ID Name is available for your number. Caller ID name changes can take 1-2 weeks to propagate to all of the databases that companies use to do the name lookups.

The emphasis above is mine. My number has been unlisted for a very long time and stayed unlisted at three different voip companies. I've recently ported in to VOIPo. Do I need to do anything to ensure it does not start propagating "to all of the databases that companies use to do the name lookups"? Please note that if it does show up in these data-bases I'm going to be extremely unhappy. It may be beneficial to create a field in preferences which displays the "listing" nature of our numbers.

usa2k
04-29-2009, 05:49 PM
Are you saying you want your number to just say a city or something?

CNAM is just the text that belongs to the CID when a phone service does a dip in a LIDB. If there is other info shared, I am not aware of it. I personally like the anonymity of VoIP, but I do prefer my name to show along with CID for the numbers I call.

You can use the CID block to keep this info from being passed to non-Toll-Free numbers. Most Toll-Free seem to get the CID likely due to billing and such.

Russell
04-29-2009, 08:51 PM
Are you saying you want your number to just say a city or something?

CNAM is just the text that belongs to the CID when a phone service does a dip in a LIDB. If there is other info shared, I am not aware of it. I personally like the anonymity of VoIP, but I do prefer my name to show along with CID for the numbers I call.

You can use the CID block to keep this info from being passed to non-Toll-Free numbers. Most Toll-Free seem to get the CID likely due to billing and such.
Apologies if I don't understand your jargon. I guess I'm confused. Probably due to my ignorance. As long as the databases that Tim refers to are not also used for directory listings I'm fine. I just want (in layman's terms) my number which is considered unlisted (in layman's terms) to remain unlisted. If the databases are just used so the person I'm calling will have my name and number displayed that's perfectly ok by me. I know I can use *67 to suppress it (yes, I know that toll free numbers are an exception). I would have a concern (and the wife will go ballistic) if those same data-bases are also used for directory listings. e.g. if I go to www.411.com and try to look up my phone number by specifying my name and state, I don't see my number. My wife wants it to stay that way - and if I know what's good for me, that's the way it should stay!

burris
04-30-2009, 04:44 AM
My situation is a bit different as I do want to be listed, but since I've been on VOIP for almost 5 years, I am listed with a few wrong, outdated phone numbers.

Russell
05-01-2009, 06:08 AM
Any reassurance from the friendly folk at VOIPo that I needn't have any concerns about my unlisted number of all these years becoming public now that I've ported to VOIPo?

usa2k
05-01-2009, 06:27 AM
Tim/or knowledgeable VOIPo people,

LIDB databases, can they do a reverse lookup? I know if you have
a number, they can give a name or company name back. Can they
do the reverse?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LIDB

Name, City, State from the CID number
http://www.verisign.com/products-services/communications-services/intelligent-database-services/calling-name-database/how.html

There are like 10 or 12 LIDB services they propagate between.

A great write-up in PDF.
http://www.verisign.com/stellent/groups/public/documents/data_sheet/001944.pdf