PDA

View Full Version : HT-502 more reliable now?

voipinit
05-02-2009, 08:31 AM
Just wondering, the very few issues I had with the Grandstream disappeared entirely once I was moved out of the Planet (some weeks ago). I would be curious if Grandstreams problems of the past are gone. Yes, I do understand 'if it ain't broke - don't fix it' which is the situation with the PAP2Ts, but just wondering.

chpalmer
05-02-2009, 12:21 PM
Seems to me the Grandstream's major flaw is its inability to reconnect after a disruption.

If then there is never a disruption then one would never have a problem this way.

Im betting with the change of datacenters the intermittent network disruptions have disappeared so the Granstream's will stay connected better...

voipinit
05-03-2009, 09:09 AM
Good point! Maybe that's why I never had a problem with my HT-502 when I was a VT subscriber, their network never went down, seems kind of unlikely though. I'm betting it did go down, but I never noticed since the GS re-acquired, which may now might happen with the VOIPo network as well. I know it's not from a different GS ATA since I am using the same one.

scott2020
05-05-2009, 08:34 AM
I have an asterisk box that I connect my HT-502 to on a LAN, so there is not likely to be any connectivity or latency problems. Yesterday I found the 502 to all of a sudden NOT be registered to my * box anymore. I rebooted it and it re-registered and started working again. Sounds very similar to the problems VOIPo was having with them. It was connected for a couple of days and then suddenly disappeared. It is running the .21 firmware so I am thinking about backing it down to an older version.

voxabox
05-05-2009, 01:33 PM
I have an asterisk box that I connect my HT-502 to on a LAN, so there is not likely to be any connectivity or latency problems. Yesterday I found the 502 to all of a sudden NOT be registered to my * box anymore. I rebooted it and it re-registered and started working again. Sounds very similar to the problems VOIPo was having with them. It was connected for a couple of days and then suddenly disappeared. It is running the .21 firmware so I am thinking about backing it down to an older version.
if the HT-502 is yours, you can try you luck:) at using the latest beta firmware (http://forums.grandstream.com/node/2707)

dswartz
05-05-2009, 01:54 PM
I replaced my 286 with a 503, only because in addition to my voipo line, I have a (basically) free POTS line from verizon, so I use that with my asterisk server and toll-free/911/411 calls go out the pots line by preference. I have not noticed any issues with registration failures. I'll read the release notes for the beta firmware though.

VOIPoJustin
05-05-2009, 04:16 PM
Seems to me the Grandstream's major flaw is its inability to reconnect after a disruption.

If then there is never a disruption then one would never have a problem this way.

Yep, exactly.

scott2020
05-05-2009, 10:06 PM
if the HT-502 is yours, you can try you luck:) at using the latest beta firmware (http://forums.grandstream.com/node/2707)

Interesting. Lots of bug fixes that's for sure. I've never been a big fan of Grandstream's stuff, but I have had good experiences with their support. I had an old Handy Tone desk phone thing that was messed up out of the box, and they helped me a lot with new firmware and such to get it working.

burris
05-06-2009, 03:36 AM
Where was Grandstream when we needed them?:rolleyes:

scott2020
05-13-2009, 07:54 PM
I thought I'd post a follow up. I haven't had any trouble with it since I posted last. I think part of my problem was related to the time sync. I noticed the time on my Asterisk box was WAY off and drifting badly. I am running * on a virtual machine and have since fixed the time problem. I wonder if maybe the registration time was so screwed up the 502 was confused? The 502 also syncs its time and was correct, but the * box was totally goofed up.
Scott

voipinit
05-14-2009, 10:14 AM
My ISP has gone down twice it the last 2 weeks (ugggh), the first time for several hours and when the service was restored, the GS synced back up without any intervention from me. The second time (yesterday), I noticed at work that I had no devices registered in Vpanel but when I got home, it was registered and working again.